You Jump, I Jump. Right?

Chapter 19

I sat down; horrified at what I had learnt from Eviee’s memory. I heard Jasper trying to calm her downstairs, and I slowly stood up, staggering to the door. Carlisle had run after her straight away, although found it nearly impossible to stop her. I heard frantic voices, and I presumed they were trying to calm Eviee down, so I headed to that room, prepared to tell her sorry.

I did a double turn when I walked in there; everyone was crowded around a slumped Eviee.

“What’s wrong with here?!” I spluttered.

Carlisle sighed. “I don’t know! Can everyone please give us some space! I need to check her vitals and pulse. Yes, I know she is a vampire, but I need to so something."

Jasper carried her over to the couch, laying her down, before he rested her head on his lap.

He smoothed away her hair from her face, and gently kissed her forehead. I had seen Jaspers memories, and I knew that this was the closest thing to a father he had ever acted.

It disturbed me to realise that it took Eviee’s pain to connect them.

He started to make strangled sobs, and Alice went over to comfort him.We all turned our heads at the intimate moment between them, but after a while he calmed down and everyone was sat in a circle around Eviee, and I reached out and placed my hand it hers. I was amazed at how brittle she felt, like the slightest movement would snap her.

Jasper slowly looked up at me, and for a moment he resembled Eviee. His face was expressionless—dead. His eyes stared at me, like he was looking, but not seeing. “What did you see? Why is my baby like this?” He whispered, blankly.

I thought back to the terrible moment when I discovered her past. Only Edward and I knew, I looked to him, hoping he would explain, but he shook his head at me, grimacing.

I sucked in a breath, even though it wasn’t necessary. “Aro...Aro had Chelsea form a bond
between the two of them. A strong bond. Eviee thought she loved him, so when he told her he wanted her to stay with someone for five years, she did. But the person...” I hesitated. “Did stuff to her...horrible things...and since then, she just hasn’t spoken, hasn’t shown any emotion. They last strong memory I got off her was 38 years ago, and it was the first day she went to stay with the person.” I felt Esme unclench my fists, and hug me tight.

Everyone was motionless whilst they absorbed what I said. Bella broke the silence first.

“What do we do?” she said softly.

Everyone thought for a bit, until Jasper answered. “We do what we know. We’ll act like we don’t know what happened. After all, ignorance is bliss. We’ll just talk to her; try to get her to open up.” He looked down at her adoringly. “I want my daughter back. I need my daughter back.”

Carlisle piped in. “We need to be gentle with her, I fear stress will bring on her death more. Aro was right, she is dying. Look at her, her bones are brittle, her body is rejecting the blood. Almost like Bella when she carried Nessie. Only, there is no saving her.”

We all just sat around Eviee, nobody breathing as we realised the pain of what would come.

I thought back to the first time I had met her. Her golden eyes were mesmerizing, her posture was strong, like she refused to be broken, but in the end she was.

I thought back to her memories. She had been with that man before—before I had met her. It hurt me to think that even then I was talking with a girl who had had her innocence stolen at 9, raped and beaten until she was 16, turned into a vampire, only to suffer more. But she was strong. She got over things. I only feared she would never get over this.

“We need to kill him.” I stated.

“Yes.” Edward agreed.

“Who is it?” Emmett asked.

“John Moore. Lives in Texas.” I told them. “He lives in a large mansion, there is a second in command, a Matthew Pratt, and around 11 others living with him.”

“We shall do it soon. I hate to think of him doing it to someone else.” Carlisle told. And for once, his face held no remorse or compassion. He wanted Moore dead as much as the rest of us.

Suddenly we looked to Eviee, who was beginning to stir. Her eyes snapped open though she wouldn’t see much and she tensed, as if she realised she was in such a weak position.

Jasper began to mutter reassurances to her.

She slowly relaxed, and she began to lean towards Jasper. He held still, as did everyone else in the room. This was the first time she did something voluntary. After a while, she slowly lifted her hand up, and placed it on Jaspers cheek. I held back a gasp. She began to trace his features, I could see she did so lightly, and I saw Jaspers eye flicker to Edward, who nodded to him reassuringly.

Jasper chose to speak. “It’s okay. I’m here.”

And then very slowly, almost unwillingly, she nodded.