Finch.

13.

It takes me a minute to compose myself. I know there is a time period where I am just staring at Matthew like he’s just killed someone and he’s covered in blood.
He might as well be.
I see that Matthew is swallowing hard, and the three boys are staring back and forth from me holding Eleanor to Matthew Fletcher with the door flung open.
Finally Matthew speaks.
“Hello boys, Norah’s right inside. Nick, it’s been a long time.”
His voice is so different than before, deeper, stronger, more in control.
“Yes,” is all I can reply with.
“Come in, do you want me to-”
Matthew is reaching for Eleanor.
“No, I’ve got her,” I quickly interrupt him, and step inside.
Norah is sitting on the couch, just as I pictured her, with her red lipstick and black make up lining her eyes to show how wide they really are.
“Nick!” Norah is exclaiming, and her brows raise up as she rises from the couch and over to me.
She looks at Eleanor in my arms and smiles at her sleeping figure.
“She’s grown up, quite lovely,” Norah comments. I nod. “And so have you,” she whispers. I smile.
“And you’re as beautiful as ever, sister,” I reply.
The band is following closely behind.
“I remember you!” Norah begins speaking to William, and I can hear the smile in her voice.
After that the rest is drowned out.
“You can lay her down, follow me,” Matthew says.
I follow him down a hall and into a small bedroom. I lay Eleanor down and then watch as she turns a bit, then falls back to sleep in the most heart wrenching way. I smile despite myself. Matthew is watching her and it makes me sick.
I didn’t think I would have such a problem. I didn’t think I would still hate him, but by God I do.
I hate that he’s still watching her sleep.
Sleep is such a private thing. If she knew who was watching she would fall apart.
“Let’s let her rest,” I say as sternly, but politely as possible. Matthew nods and then steps away from the bed. I close the door behind him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I caved. Told myself I wouldn't update again yet, however, as you can see, I did.
I have another update already written too. Oh geez.