Status: Complete

Invisible

Telling Jeremy

Carol hugged Maggie tightly in her arms, “You promise me that you’ll call everyday?”

Maggie nodded, “Yes. I’ll call everyday, every hour, every second.”

Carol pulled away and laughed, “I don’t want to hear from you that much. I’ll get sick of you.”

Maggie giggled, “How rude.”

The girls laughed together, and then they called Maggie’s flight. “I wish she was here.”

Carol nodded, “Don’t we all?”

Maggie bent her head down, and smiled. “I made this for you.” She pulled off her bracelet with all our names on it. Except the names were “Tibby, Carmen and Lena RIP”

Carol smiled while her eyes filled with tears, “Do you have one to?

Maggie nodded, “Yes.” She held out her wrist. “I even made one for Lena. It’s on her picture.”

Maggie’s mother wrapped her arms around her and kissed her forehead, “I love you and be safe please.”

Maggie nodded, “I will and I love you too.”

“Lindsey will be with you honey. She won’t let anything happen to you.”

Maggie nodded, “I know that.”

They gave another warning about Maggie’s flight; Maggie looked at Carol and hugged her one last time.

“I love you.” She whispered.

Carol kissed her cheek, “I love you more. Stay safe please, I can’t loose you too.”

Maggie pulled away and blew a kiss to her, “I will. You do the same.”

Maggie grabbed her backpack off the ground and handed her ticket in. She waved goodbye to everyone until she was out of sight, both giggling. I wrapped my arm around Carol’s shoulder and waved goodbye.

“Please watch my baby.” Angela whispered.

Carol moved to the window to watch Maggie’s plane leave. Angel hugged Carol goodbye and told her to not be a stranger, that she will always be there if Carol needed her.

Carol walked to her car wiping away her tears, as was I. I climbed in the front seat and we left together to her house. When we pulled up to her driveway, Jeremy was there leaning against his Jeep.

Carol climbed out of her car and smiled at Jeremy, “Hey.”

He grinned, “What’s up?”

Carol shook her head, “Just dropped off Maggie at the airport.”

He gasped, “Shit. I forgot that was today.” Jeremy arched his eye brow at Carol, “Weren’t you supposed to be gone too? Like last week?”

She nodded, “Yeah. But….”

“But what?”

Carol took in a deep breath; I was just confused as Jeremy.

“I decided not to go until…” She shook her head, remembering that Jeremy didn’t know about their superstitions on Mr. Robin.

I looked at Jeremy with wide eyes.

“Until what?”

Carol took another deep breath and starred up at Jeremy, I could see she was thinking about telling Jeremy. I shook my head.

“He’s not ready.” I whispered in her ear.

She gasped, “Did you hear that?”

He shook his head, “No.” He crossed his arms, “Carol what’s going on?”

Carol looked down, “Nothing. Perhaps another time Jeremy.”

She walked to her door and was about to open it when Jeremy shut it closed again.

“Carol…you know that’s not fair. I hated when Lindsey did that to me. Just tell me.”

I giggled; I loved teasing him like that because he would get so mad. He’s adorable when he’s angry.

Carol took a deep breath and nodded, “Ok. Come inside.”

I panicked. He’s not ready!!

Carol led him upstairs to her room, and took out the journal from her desk to show him the list and new information she’s learned.

Jeremy flipped through the pages, his breathing picking up, getting angrier and angrier.

“How come no one told me?” He said between clenched teeth.

I starred at Carol who was looking out her window.

“We didn’t tell you because you’re still….fragile.” She whispered. She turned to look at him.

He closed the journal and set on the desk as he walked closer to Carol.

“How long?”

She sighed, “A month.”

He shook his head, “A month…and no one told me.”

She rolled her eyes, “Jeremy…have you not looked at yourself in the mirror lately? You’re a wreak! You’re eyes are lost, your face screams at us that your still in pain! How do you expect us to come up to you and say, ‘Hey I know your still hurting and all, but we think we found the guy who killed Lindsey.’ Face it Jeremy, I didn’t want to see if for myself. I wasn’t ready. But I knew I had too, I wanted to know who the bastard was that took away my best friend!”

“YOU DON’T THINK I WANT TO KNOW TOO?” Jeremy yelled. I jumped; he’s never gotten that mad.

Carol didn’t flinch or look away; she starred at him dead in the eyes. “We were going to tell you when you were ready!”

“I’M READY!”

She shook her head, “No your not. This isn’t you talking, this is anger, revenge and heart ache. You need to be yourself so you can control that when or if, we know for sure it’s Mr. Robin!”

Jeremy snorted, “You don’t understand my pain, Carol.”

She laughed, “I DO KNOW! SHE’S MY BEST FRIEND JEREMY! SHE WAS JUST AS IMPORTANT TO ME AS SHE WAS TO YOU!”

Jeremy looked away, he shook his head slightly. I moved closer to him and touched his face. Carol was looking out the window again.

“Jeremy, I understand that you’re angry because we didn’t tell you. But we only did it because we didn’t want you to suffer any more than you already are.” Carol whispered.

“When you say ‘we’, who else is involved with this?”

Carol sighed and turned to him, “Maggie and Mr. Hamilton.”

He starred back at her, “Lindsey’s dad? He knows too?”

She nodded, “He was already on it. We just contacted each other and started comparing each others notes.”

Jeremy snorted, “Her own father knew about it, and I didn’t.” He mumbled.

Carol threw her hands in the air, “Were you not listening to me earlier?! You didn’t even want to talk to your mom about Lindsey, Jeremy! We were not going to show you these and have you crumpled down again!”

Jeremy started walking out her room, “I can’t deal with this.”

Carol followed him outside, “SEE THAT’S WHY WE DIDN’T TELL YOU! LOOK HOW YOU’RE ACTING!” She screamed.

Jeremy’s hand froze on the handle; he looked up at Carol and sighed when he saw tears streaming down her face.

He walked up to her and bowed his head, “You were right. I wasn’t ready to deal with this.” He picked up his head slowly, “But I’m ready now. Promise me that you will call me or come by to tell me anything new?”

Carol sighed, “Jeremy…”

“No.” He cut her off, “Promise me.”

Carol starred at him for a moment, I watched him too.

She finally nodded, “Ok. But I warn you…some things you hear….they won’t be the words you want to hear.”

He nodded, “I’ll tough it out.” He turned on his heel and jumped into his Jeep.

Carol sat on her lawn, watching Jeremy until he was out of sight.

She bowed her head and whispered, “Please tell me something Lindsey…am I doing the right thing?”

I shrugged and sat next to her,

“I hope so.” I whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
dun dun dun