Sequel: Gin and Juice
Status: Complete

Vodka and Lemonade

The Call

I ran. The sounds of gunshots echoed off of the cement walls. I had to keep pushing through the darkness- through the chaos- to get to safety… but safety wouldn’t come. The gunshots got louder, faster. I pushed on through the black maze. I had to get out. Just as I turned a corner and saw the exit, something hurled into me, full force, and knocked me to the ground.

“You can’t run forever,” the voice sneered as the gunshots died down. I instantly froze. I knew that voice. I killed that voice. “No matter where you go- no matter where you hide- I will find you. Mark my words. There’s no escaping the truth.” Something cold and round pressed against my temple. There was the familiar clicking sound of a bullet being cocked into place. “Any last words?”

“Eat my dust, you fucking corpse,” I spat back.

He chuckled. “No more of that. There’s no need.”

BANG!

I jolted up in the bed, my breathing heavy. A wildly looked around, trying to find him. For the first time in my life, I think I was truly scared to death. My eyes landed on Jimmy, who was standing in the doorway with a worried expression on his face.

“What’s wrong?”

I shook my head. “I don’t know. Must’ve been bad dream.”

“Danni, you screamed as if someone was after you.”

I brushed aside the dream that tried to replay itself. “Well, I can’t remember,” I said, getting out of the bed. “Do you have anything? I need a hit.”

“Here, its my last dime. I’m picking up tomorrow,” he said handing me the small baggie. I immediately began cutting lines. “I just got off the phone with Jeremy. I ordered some extra, saying that I got a new client,” he continued, sitting on the bed next to my lines. “He asked about you, but I said I haven’t seen you in a few months.”

“Thanks,” I said before bending down and snorting Paradise. Once I was done, I wiped my nose and reveled in the feeling that the substance brought me.

“D, are you alright?” he asked.

“Perfectly fine,” I replied with a cheesy smile. “Where’s Zack? I got the munchies all of a sudden.”

“Right here,” Zacky replied in a dead tone. I looked back and noticed his pale face. A cordless phone was hanging out of his limp hand. “Danni, how could you?”

My face paled and my high instantly died. “Shut the damn door. Don’t want them listening in,” I whispered harshly. I took the phone out of his hand and shoved it deep into the closet before shutting the door. I immediately went to the windows and drew the shades closed.

“Danni, why are you being so paranoid?” Jimmy asked.

I silenced him with a look.

“Danni, how come you didn’t tell us you were in it this deep?” Zacky asked, his face still pale.

“What the fuck is going on?”

Zacky looked at Jimmy before looking at me. “She didn’t just kill anyone, she killed fucking Lou!” His eyes never left mine.

Jimmy sucked in a breath and looked at me in horror. “Danni-”

“He was gonna kill me for some things that weren’t my fault. Okay? I was scared and didn’t think. I just did it, and I don’t regret it.”

“Danni-”

“No! you don’t understand! I wasn’t this big of a whore when I met him! I wasn’t craving drugs this much, either! He made me this way and he wanted to destroy me all because I got fucked when I was out on the streets!”

Their horrified expressions turned to something almost sympathetic.

“You know what, forget this shit. I’ll do what I should’ve done a while ago. I’m peacing out,” I said, pushing past Zacky and out the door. I grabbed some of the case that I knew the Baker’s left in the foyer for emergencies and exited the house.

“Danni, wait!” Jimmy called, running to catch up to me.

I didn’t stop walking though.

“Danni! I’m not mad,” he said, falling into step with me. “I’m just surprised. Did all that really happen?”

“You know I can’t lie to you, Rain Man,” I replied in almost a whisper.

He nodded his head and steered me to the beach. We sat down on the warm sand and watched the waves roll in. “Why didn’t you come to us earlier? We could have saved you.”

I let out a scoff. “There ain’t nothin’ that can save me. I’m going to hell, I know that. It’s just a matter of time.”

Jimmy nodded his head again and lit a cigarette. “So that’s it? You’re just gonna run until you die?”

I nodded my head as I took a hit off of him. “Sounds like a plan to me.”

He gave me an odd look when he took the fag back. “What exactly are you living for then? I mean, you don’t want a past, you’re running from your present, and it doesn’t seem like you want a future. What’s the point of you living?”

I took a long sigh and thought. “That’s a very good question. I wish I knew.”

Jimmy handed me the fag again so I could take one last hit before stamping out the butt.

“I mean, all I know is that I’m still here. No matter what I do, no matter what they do to me, I’m still alive.”

“Maybe that means there really is a God. And, you know, that angels are watching after you.”

That threw me into hysterics. “That’s hilarious, Rain Man. Angels? Seriously? I’m the scum of the earth. Ain’t no angel that will waste their time on me.”

Jimmy shrugged. “It was a thought,” he said before breaking out into a shit eating grin. “I know what we can do! Let’s go to Johnny’s and get smashed! I’ll call the guys.”

I grinned. “Sounds amazing.”

...but his words still echoed in my head What are you living for?
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm almost done with my exams! All I have is a stupid take-home that I have absolutely no inspiration for (which is really sad, because I used to be a few English buff). Anyways, thank you for your patience and keep those comments coming. I don't know how I'm doing unless I get some kind of feedback (the reader count is still down for my stories).

=D bree