Sequel: Gin and Juice
Status: Complete

Vodka and Lemonade

Jealousy, or lack thereof

I rolled my eyes as he and made his way over to the bar. Honestly, some people just can’t take a hint.

“Jack on the rocks, leave the bottle,” he ordered and slid a twenty across the counter.

Nodding, I brought out a glass and a new bottle, setting them in front of him and turning to the next customer.

Surprisingly, he stayed on his stool and didn’t try to make any small talk. It was a little unnerving. To top it off, it was a slow day, so I had to fuck around and pretend to do things just so I could ignore him. An hour later, he finished his bottle and motioned for me to clear it.

“So, you’re not going to talk?” I asked as I tossed the bottle and wiped the counter.

He gave a small shrug and slid a ten over. “Jack and Coke.”

Nodding, I took his money and mixed his drink. “You’re a little moody today,” I noted.

He glared at me. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

I put my hands up in surrender. “Fine by me,” I replied before walking outside to take a well-deserved cigarette break. For awhile, I just sat there, numbly bringing the cancer stick to my lips, inhaling, exhaling. Always the same. Then, something happened, I started to actually think about things such as my life- past, present, future. I hadn’t ever really given it a second thought. I did what I did to get by. I didn’t question it. It was just how it was- how it has always been. Then I started thinking about the jerk-face. He promised he could take me away from all this. Make me proper. I clenched my fist in rage and stormed back inside, flinging my half-finished cigarette butt behind me.

He was still sitting on his stool. “Alright, fine. I’ll fucking go on a date with you, but you’re paying for it. I’ll see you in an hour at the diner across the street.” I turned quickly on my heel and started to walk around the building, clearing the tables and throwing empty bottles away.

~*~
I plopped down in the seat opposite of Brian and hour later. He had a proud smirk on his face. “What?” I questioned, my tone aggressive.

He shrugged. “Nothing. So, what made you change your mind?”

I sat forward, leaning my elbows on the table. “I started thinking about what you told me and, ya know, my life ain’t so bad. I mean, yea, I have no money half the time, and I have to steal what I can to help pay the bills…but, ya know, I don’ regret it.”

“You were thinking about me?” he asked. Either he didn’t hear or he was ignoring the rest of it. “I knew that psychology crap would eventually work.”

“I hate psychology,” I replied automatically.

The left side of his mouth twitched. “Do you even know what it is?”

I glared as hard as I could at him. “Just because I was raised on the streets don’t mean I’m an idiot.”

“Right, sorry-”

“What can I get you?” a waitress asked.

“Coffee. Black. Two sugars,” I said, not taking my eyes off Brian.

“Make mine with one cream,” Brian ordered, giving the waitress a big smile.

The waitress nodded curtly before walking away.

“So, who was holding your junk earlier?” I asked, returning his attention to me.

“What?”

“Why were you so mad?”

“Oh, that, I was just seeing what you would do. You know, see if you cared,” there it was. That stupid smirk. The waitress set our coffee orders down.

“Anything else?” she was really directing her attention to Brian.

“I’ll have an order of fries,” I smiled obnoxiously.

She snapped her head in my direction and popped her gum.

“And I’ll have a burger. Medium rare,” His lips twitched again into a smile.

The waitress flashed her teeth and left again.

“You are such a flirt,” I told him, a small smile creeping onto my face.

“It’s the Haner charm,” he grinned. “Is it working?”

I rolled my eyes and sipped my coffee. “Not even a little.”

He pouted a bit.

“That’s not going to work.”

He shrugged, the pout instantly being replaced by his smirk. “I had to give it a shot.”
“Is that the only thing you can do?” I asked.

He spit his coffee out of his mouth. “There’s a lot of things I can do, most of which can’t be done in public. Which one are you referring to?”

“That stupid smirk of yours. You think you’re so-”

“Little D!” someone from behind me called. I turned my head to see Jakob. “How you doin?” he asked, approaching the booth that Brian and I were in.

I stood up. “Good, good,” I replied, my hand instantly bumping with his. To the untrained eye, it would look just like two friends conversing.“You?”

“It’s all good. Hey, we need to hang out sometime.” He said, pausing his hand movements slightly.

I moved mine some more. “You know where to find me,” I said flashing a smile.

“Cool cool, I’ll catch ya later,” he said, his hand leaving mine, before walking out the door.

I sat back down. Something was strange about Brian. He was tenser than he was earlier. “What’s up with you?” I asked, drinking some more of my coffee. “Do I sense some jealousy?”

“Here you go,” the waitress said, slamming my plate down in front of me. She gently placed Brian’s in front of him. Her hand lingered on his for a little bit longer than it should have before she left.

“You shouldn’t be talking about jealousy. I saw the look in your eyes.” His smirk was really starting to get on my nerves.

I scoffed. “Her? Really? She wasn’t good enough to get a job at Starry Night.”

Brian spit out his coffee. “What?”

“You heard right. A topless bar turned her down,” I said bluntly before munching on my fries.

Brian sat back in his seat and looked at me. “You’re really one of a kind.”

“Ain’t no time to be anyone else,” I said simply, also leaning back. “So, is this what all dates are like? Pretty boring if you ask me.”

Brian grinned. “then let’s make it more interesting,” he said, offering his hand.

“If you’re not paying, I’m not fucking you.” I said, staring oddly at his hand. I wasn’t quite sure what to do with it.

Brian rolled his eyes. “Don’t worry. I don’t mess around on the first date with a woman I like.”

“Sure, whatever,” I said, also getting up.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's a decent-sized chapter, be nice, and I actually had fun writing this. So, what do you think about their little "date"? Funny? Stupid? Completely awkward?

=D bree