Status: February 2010-February 2012

Butterflies and Dragonflies

Drew.

I rested my head on the palm of my hand. My eyes were threatening to shut. Everything around me was distant as sleep tried to take over. My eyelids finally closed. Sleep won me over. I was drifting off into a dreamless slumber, but a loud sound brought me back; making me jump about a foot out of my seat. My eyes were wide as I looked up at the teacher. She had slammed a book down on my desk. She looked at me with a disapproving look on her face. I sunk down in my seat when I noticed all heads turned and all eyes on me.

"Am I boring you, Mr. Simmons?" she asked me.

"No, I'm just tired," I replied quietly.

She grabbed the book off of my desk. "Stay awake or you'll be serving detention, Mr. Simmons," she ordered, walking back to the front of the classroom.

I groaned and glanced at the clock. Only fifteen more minutes; you can make it, Drew, I thought sighing.

I managed to keep my eyes open the last fifteen minutes. When the bell sounded I hurried out of the classroom and to my locker. I opened my locker and exchanged my stuff for my history book. I never finished my homework last night. I couldn't concentrate on it. I sighed as I shut my locker.

"Hey, Drew!" Becky shouted as she and Abby made their way to me.

I smiled at her and kissed her lips when they made it to me. I pulled away from her and said hi to Abby. She didn't look like her usual self. Her bright colors were replaced with dark colors. She wasn't wearing makeup, her hair was black and she didn't give a real smile.

Taylor was making everyone miserable. Okay, maybe it's just me and Abby.

"Babe, have you been crying?" Becky asked in concern.

My eyes left Abby and I looked at Becky. "Um...no, I was just up all night...trying to do homework, you know?" I answered when truthfully I was up all night crying over Taylor.

"Yeah, and superman is real," Becky said rolling her eyes. "What's wrong, babe?"

The bell rung than and I cheered in my head. "Nothing, but we should get to class before we're late," I said quickly.

"You're going to have to tell me eventually," Becky warned.

"I know," I mumbled.

She gave me a small smile and than hugged me. "See you after school," she said and then she walked away.

Abby turned to leave and then turned back to me. I stared at her curiously, waiting for her to speak or do something besides stare at me. "Where's Taylor? I haven't seen him around," she said in a voice that was not hers. It was more monotonous than her usual cheery voice.

"Um...he's kind of...sick," I lied nervously. I wasn't very good at it.

"Oh, well, I hope whatever he has kills him," she said and then turned to walk away.

I watched her leave. I wanted to run after her and yell at her for saying that. Thankfully, he's not really sick. The last bell rung and I groaned. I walked slowly to my next class debating on whether to skip it or not.