Status: Slowly working on.

You're My Example, Halvo

We'll All Be.

The night of the concert couldn't come fast enough. I was trying to avoid Halvo at all costs that week, even sticking around in the cafeteria to avoid being alone with him. It was just too embarrassing. Thank god Mr.Botchie was finding ways to keep him busy.

The night of the concert, I had taken to pacing backstage, my fingers moving like they would over the keys soon enough. I hummed the piece, listening to it play in my head, just like every other day since it was given to me.

"Mint?" I scowled at the sound of the voice that was taking me from the music. I whipped around to see Mr. Botchie giving me a cautious look.

"Yes, Mr. Botchie?" I sighed, keeping my fingers moving the whole time.

"Three minutes," he informed before walking off. See, most of the other kids were all in the band room, doing some last minute practicing but I, on the other hand, preferred to be alone beforehand. It just helped calm my nerves, to have a little time to myself.

I hummed along to the music as it started again in my head, closing my eyes as I continued to pace. I couldn't wait for this whole thing to just happen and be over already. It was the first of two concerts I'd have this year, plus the showcase at the end of the year, and the musical, if I decided to do it.

Plus, I was trying to clear my head of any thoughts of what had happened on Monday. Since I walked out of the band room, all I could think about was that kiss. I had actually let myself think that what I felt for Halvo wasn't so crazy, like maybe there was a chance for...us. Then he pushed me away and now I just wanted to forget the whole thing had even happened. What dignity I had would disappear every time I thought of him and just...being in the same room as him would be hell because I couldn't ever have another kiss again. Another kiss was all I wanted; more than anything else.

"Mint?" I groaned again as I was interrupted, opening my eyes to see Halvo looking back at me. I groaned once more, shutting my eyes and trying to ignore him and go back to air playing.

"Mint, can we please just talk?" he begged. I rolled my eyes behind my eyelids, humming louder to try and drown him out. Maybe he'd just go away. I couldn't deal with this right now, or I'd make an even bigger fool out of myself. I heard him sigh.

"Fine, we're going to talk later," he grumbled. Just as he said that, I got tapped on the shoulder and I opened my eyes to see Annalise, nodding towards the stage before heading there herself. I looked back at Halvo, who mouthed 'good luck' and headed for the stage myself.

I walked to my piano, my eyes kept on the ground as I moved and sat down. The music was in front of me, all I had to do now was not fuck up. I gulped, feeling just slightly nervous, but not because of the crowd of parents, younger siblings and administrators, but because he was right there, watching me.

"Alright," Mr. Botchie sighed, tapping his baton. I looked over him, watching him start the count silently, starting to play, trying to not shake.
____

I smiled widely as I walked off the stage, glad that this was finally over with. I bit my lip, seeing Halvo was waiting there. I had kind of hoped he had been out in the crowd, giving me a chance to slip away without him cornering me but it wasn't going to work.

"You guys did awesomely," he said happily, glancing over at me. I bit my lip, shaking my head. His smile faded a little, nodding towards the door.

"Now," he mouthed. I sighed, nodding and heading towards the door. Oh, what was left of my dignity was about to be stripped from me. This was going to be fun.