Status: Hiatus.

Lost To Me

Chapter 8

Hayly’s POV
It took my alarm clock screeching at me, my mom’s constant yelling, and finally Alex plain picking me up to get me out of bed the next morning. And I was still tired as hell.

“Jeez Hayly, where did Jack take you last night?” Alex asked in exasperation as I slumped down tiredly in the front seat when we got in the car.

“My Chemical Romance concert.. Now let me sleep..” I mumbled and closed my eyes. Of course I wasn’t destined to sleep for long. Jack bounced into the car and sat down in the front seat, completely oblivious to the fact I was already sitting there.

“Jack, get your fat ass off me before murder occurs,” I threatened with my eyes closed and I heard him chuckle lightly. I felt myself being lifted up then set down on a very comfortable Jack. I cracked an eye open and looked up at him. “How are you not tired?”

He shrugged. “Experience? I don’t know, I’m just, not tired.” He shrugged again, and then asked, “Why are you this tired?”

“You do realize that I pretty much never sleep right? I’m always tired,” I pointed out and he nodded in acknowledgment. “Can I sleep now?”

“Why don’t you just skip today? It’s not like you’ll learn anything anyway,” Alex said, and I had to admit he had a good point. But I was not going down without a fight; that was just the annoying little sister in me.

“Because mom would kill me, and I don’t feel like getting murdered.”

“You could come to my house!” Jack piped up, and I knew my defenses had just shut down. “Besides, you didn’t seem to mind when you were threatening murder on me.”

“Fine.. And Jacky, one I wouldn’t murder you, two it’s different when you will be hurt.”

“Why do you fight with me, but instantly agree to Jack?” Alex asked, mock hurt in his tone.

“Because I’m more awesome than you!” That was true, but it wasn’t like I’d ever tell him that though. The boy didn’t need a bigger ego.

“Whatever Jack. Come on, just get out of the car Hayly, you’re like a two minute walk from Jack’s. I need to get to school on time or I get even more detention.” That was true enough..

I sighed and silently grabbed my bag and stepped out of the car. Unsurprisingly, Jack was out seconds later. “So what’re we doing today?” he asked brightly and I gave him a blank look.

You can go do something, I’m going to sleep.” I muttered without turning around.

“O-okay..” I could hear the hurt in his voice, and guilt immediately flooded through me. I turned around and looked at his dejected face, and felt even worse.

“Oh Jack...” I sighed and wrapped my arms around him in a hug. His arms instantly snaked around me and held on tightly. “Sorry I snapped at you, I’m just tired,” I said quietly, my voice muffled by his shirt.

“It’s okay Hayly. Come on, let’s go back to my house.” He pulled away and took my hand, leading me down the sidewalk. We walked in silence, but comfortable silence. We had been friends for so long we didn’t need words to fill the silence.

I saw someone come out of the house next to Jack’s, but didn’t really pay any attention to them. Until they called my name.

“Hayly? Jack?” Whoever it was, they were a girl and sounded awfully familiar. I looked up at Jack to see my confusion mirrored in his eyes. I looked up to see yet another confused person. Maddy?

“Since when do you live next to Jack?” I asked. I don’t remember seeing her whenever I came over, which was practically all the time.

She smirked at us. “Practically my whole life. I’ve been scared of the teenagers that lived next door for a few years though.”

Jack’s eyes suddenly brightened in revelation. “You’re the Maddy that May used to go on and on about?”

Confusion spread on her face once more when she asked, “How the heck do you know May?”

“That’s his sister,” I told her, then softly to Jack, “I’m going inside. I’ll be in your room.” He nodded, hugging me once more, and I made my way up the driveway.

The house was eerily quiet, with no one here but me to make noise. I made my way to the familiar door that marked the entry to Jack’s room. I opened it, ignoring the ‘Do Not Enter!’ signs taped all over the door.

Pictures and posters almost completely covered the walls, a lot like my room. I smiled at a couple of blurry pictures that Alex obviously took because they were of Jack and I sitting in the top of a tree in the park.

I smiled contentedly. Summer had been amazing, and we took so many pictures. Correction, I took most of the pictures, being the only one who could take steady pictures. I sat on Jack’s bed, caught up in the memories. That was the way I fell asleep, lost in them.
- - - - - -
The feel of someone else’s body against mine woke me up. I smiled when I felt hand I my hair. Jack. His breathing was light and regular, I guessed he was asleep. Opening my eyes, my theory was confirmed.

I lightly traced the pattern on his jacket, content with just laying there. I don’t know how long I sat there, just tracing the pattern, but when I glanced at the alarm clock, it read one in the afternoon.

I should probably wake up Jack soon.. “Hayly?” Or not.

“Heya Jack. Have a nice nap?” He laughed quietly.

“The best. You sound happier. But I’m hungry, let’s go get something to eat!” Without waiting for my response he bounded up from the bed and out of the room. Laughing quietly to myself, I followed.

I found Jack staring helplessly around the kitchen. Poor boy didn’t know what to do in his own kitchen. “Need some help?” He nodded and turned his pleading eyes on me.

I started to go through the cabinets for something to eat and came up empty. “Damn boy, do you eat everything? First my house, now yours. Come on, we’ll have to walk somewhere.”

Taking his hand, I led him outside. “How ‘bout the diner? It won’t be packed with cheerleaders and everyone else at this point,” he asked. I nodded in agreement and we started to walk.

Jack had a point about it not being packed with the “popular” crowd for once. It kind of sucked that they were almost always there, because it was one of my favorite places to hang out. Plus, the food was amazing.

“Whatcha thinking about?” I asked Jack after a few minutes. Neither one of us had said anything up until that point.

He grinned at me and replies, “You.” I smiled and squeezed his hand gently.

“You’re so cheesy, but adorable at the same time.” His smile lit up like a five-year old’s when they were given candy. I laughed lightly, he was so cute.

“Oh, there’s the diner!” Apparently, he forgot about me momentarily in his need for food, and took off down the sidewalk. I shook my head, chuckling lightly. Jack was the craziest person I knew, but I loved him to death.

By the time I had walked in the doors of the little diner, he had already grabbed a booth, and was frantically waving at me. “Over here short person!” he demanded, and it took a lot of restraint to keep from bursting out in laughter.

I made my way over to him and sat on his lap. “Happy now?” He nodded and smiled. I watched the other people in the room and wrinkled my nose when I saw Tiffany.

Apparently Jack saw her too, because he pointed at her and said, “Ick, it’s the walking STD.” I covered his mouth – with my hands you perverts out there – and shushed him. He was awfully loud.

But it was too late, because she turned around. “Excuse me?” she let out in an annoyingly high-pitched voice.

Jack pulled my hand off his mouth to say, “You heard me.”

“Jack, shut up,” I hissed lowly at him.

“I know what I’m doing Hayles.” I didn’t think he did, but I kept quiet, and let the scene in front of me unfold.

I’m the STD? What about your slut of a girlfriend?” Tiffany was an idiot. I’ve gone out with two guys, including Jack. And he knew it.

“Hayly has gone out with less guys than you have brain cells. Which she’s proud of,” he added on quickly. I rolled my eyes.

She smirked. “I’m sure. But I happen to know she has one man-whore of a boyfriend. Or do you not remember that night Jack?” she asked sweetly.

He looked completely annoyed and confused, so I automatically knew she was lying. “Sure bitch. Look, go find someone else to annoy, ‘cause if you hang around here any longer, I’m going to beat your ass.”

Jack stared at me in amazement, I rarely ever went off like that. I squeezed his hand to reassure him I was okay, and the pressure I felt a couple seconds later told me he understood.

Tiffany looked shocked, but also like she had something up her sleeve. “Oh, and what if I did this?” Without waiting for my reply, she leaned over and pressed her lips fiercely against Jack’s.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooooh! Haha, cliffhanger! Sorry loves! Hope you enjoyed(: Chapter 9 should be out in a couple days.