Status: Complete

Skull and Dagger

Eurgh,

“I don’t like this!” Gerard exclaimed for the umpteenth time.

Sites merely rolled his eyes. “Oh, go sweep the altar,” he sighed in irritation.

“I can’t believe Williams fell for that,” Jepha commented. “This place is spotless...”

“Yes, well, I rather counted on Lord Williams' never bothering to visit it,” Sites countered. “Can’t say I was surprised that I was right...”

At that moment, one of the fortress guards entered the small chapel, helmet in hand. He nodded politely to Sites and walked over to the altar...

There was a loud ‘thunk’ as he was bopped over the head and then dragged into the back room by several of the men.

All the others just continued on as if nothing had happened.

Gerard stood up, paced back and forth twice, then threw his arms up in the air in frustration. “I don’t like this!” he insisted.

“Yes, we figured that out the first fifty times you said it,” Sites grumbled under his breath.

Gerard didn’t even hear him. “I mean, she’s up there alone, with no one to defend her, and-”

“Frank hangs tonight,” Sites reminded him sternly.

Gerard let out a weary sigh and ran one hand through his unruly black hair. “I know,” he agreed, sitting down... Only to get up and begin pacing once more. “But I don’t like this!”
* * *
“I mean, really,” Elizabeth said, hands pressed over her heart in her low-bodiced gown, eyelashes fluttering, “it must be awfully exciting work. Lowering the gate, raising the gate, knowing that the very safety of this fortress depends on you...”

The gatekeeper gave her a wicked leer. “You better believe it, honey,” he agreed, stroking his control lever.

Elizabeth fought the urge to roll her eyes. “And you must be so strong to do it, too...” After five seconds of analyzing the mechanism, Elizabeth had determined that the system of pulleys and chains that raised the gate was set up so that a child could lift it. There was no harm in lying, though.

Especially when it boosted men’s egos and therefore distracted them.
“That’s me.” The gatekeeper gave her a toothless grin. “Strong, built, burly...thick...”

“Oh, yes,” Elizabeth agreed in a falsely cheerful monotone. “Please, tell me more.” Only one more hour...

“No,” the gatekeeper retorted with a coy smile, “you tell me more.”

Thank heaven for men and their bizarre kinks, Elizabeth thought as she tried to come up with more gate-related innuendos...

* * *

“I mean, I really don’t like this...”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for making you guys wait :(