Status: Complete

Skull and Dagger

Huh?

“It is absolutely intolerable!” Sites exclaimed in a mock-huff, trying to look as dignified and outraged as he could manage.

“I assure you, the chapel has its own upkeep staff,” Lord Williams attempted to placate the overly-persistent priest.

“Oh yes, I noticed,” Sites retorted sarcastically. “What with the mulch pit by the altar and the abundance of rats. Tell me, are they the upkeep staff?”

“Look, Father Sites,” Lord Williams did his best to calm the other man, “I’m sure something could be arranged to fix up the chapel.”

“I should say so!” Sites exclaimed. “I cannot believe you’ve let it go this far! I am inclined to seriously doubt your ability to-”

“I’ll have a cleaning crew come in next week,” Williams cut him off before another rant on his unsanitary management of the fort could begin.

“Next week?!” Sites practically cried in agony.

“In order to hire a work crew-” Lord Williams hastily insisted.

“Why, I could get one within the hour!” Sites countered. “I swear, this must be the most incompetent fortress in the world! Why, all it would take would be a dozen or so men from the town! I just can’t believe this! I can’t believe it... Wait until word gets back to the church about how crass and disrespectful you are towards a place of worship! I have every mind to see you removed from authority, and when I-”

Lord Williams felt a rather nasty headache coming on at the prospect of listening to yet another rant about the goddamned chapel. “You do it then!” he finally bellowed in frustration.

Sites nodded curtly and forced back the triumphant smile that was curling at the edges of his lips. “Very well, I will.”

------

“We’re in.”
Gerard looked at Sites in disbelief. “How on earth do you do that?” he demanded.
A sly smile lit up Sites' face. “Never underestimate the church’s powers of persuasion,” he said simply, ushering the pirate crew towards the now-open gates, “...or of annoyance...”

------

Annabelle awoke to the feel of fingers gently caressing her face. In that dazed, half-asleep state, she leaned into them, a smile on her face as she whispered the name “Frank” like it was the most precious thing in the world to her.

She got a chuckle in response. “Try again, my sweet,” Bob instructed her.

Her eyes flew open in horror and surprise as she remembered the events of the previous day, and she instantly leapt back from his touch, pressing herself against the wall along one side of the bed.

“You are beautiful, aren’t you?” Bob commented in a husky voice.

His hand reached out to touch her once more, and she slapped it away.

“Feisty, too,” he grinned. “I like that...”

The way he said it made Annabelle start searching frantically for a weapon. Another voice cut her off, however.

“For Christ’s sake, Rob!” the woman Annabelle vaguely recognized as Darla exclaimed. “Quit traumatizing the poor girl!”

“I think she can handle a little-” He turned to face her and wisely cut his sentence off at her brassed-off expression.

“Out.” The stern order was accompanied by a demanding finger pointed right at the door.

With a resigned sigh, Bob rose to his feet. He approached Darla first, however, wrapping his arms around her waist and placing a sensual kiss in the hollow of her throat. “Forgive me,” he practically purred his command.

Darla’s resolve softened, and she relaxed in his embrace. “You’re an ass, Rob,” she informed him.

“And don’t you love it?” he taunted before crashing his lips down onto hers.

His hips thrust up against hers so suggestively that Annabelle blushed and turned away...and wondered why Frank had never done that...

“You know you’re the only one for me, baby,” he said as he pulled away, a smug smile on his lips as he watched her gasp for breath.

“Yeah,” she retorted sarcastically, “I’ll believe that when I’ve got a ring on my finger and the whoring stops.” She gave him a pointed shove toward the door.
“Now... Get. Out.”

He turned back to say something, but she slammed the door shut right in his face. Annabelle could hear him cursing outside as the solid wood impacted with his nose.

Darla winced. “I’m going to pay for that later...” she sighed before turning back to Annabelle, who was still huddled against the wall on the bed. “You OK, dearie? Rob can be such a pig sometimes. I swear, he thinks everything with two legs was just made for him to stick it in.” She gave Annabelle a kind smile.

And Annabelle blinked in confusion. “Huh?” she finally managed to utter eloquently...
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for such a long wait :[