The Best Is Yet to Come

Chapter Twenty One

Logic told me only one thing – talk to Josh. I didn’t get a single chance to that weekend.

Dan pressed a camera into my hands when we entered the dressing room Saturday afternoon. We were in London for the last night of the tour.

“Where’s your director?” I asked curiously as I turned the camera over and over in my hands trying to work out how to use it.

“He’s already filmed a show, he’s doing the rest with his lot tonight, backstage stuff is down to you,” Dan winked at me and I had the camera snatched from my hand. Lucy hit a few buttons and the camera made a beeping noise.

“There,” she said in her rich Welsh accent and handed it back.

“Right,” I said, still examining the camera.

“I thought you were taking Film Studies?” Dan asked as he watched me and the camera sceptically.

“Yeah, I am, I got A* at GCSE,” I informed him and pulled out the side screen. I held it up to his face. “Action.”

“Not now.” He covered his palm over the lens and laughed.

“Fine,” I mumbled and collapsed the screen in.

“We’ve got another one.” He handed it to Lucy.

“So just… shoot whatever random shit you get up to?” I asked and glanced around the surprisingly empty dressing room. “Where is everyone?”

“The guys were unloading, we’ve got a sound check in half an hour,” he answered.

Great. So he was busy. I was about to collapse in a chair with a huff when Dan beat me too it. I watched him with surprise as he rubbed the side of his face – he looked drawn.

“Are you alright?” Lucy asked.

“Dan?” I asked because she beat me to it.

He opened his eyes to look up at both our concerned faces.

“Yeah, I’m fine, I’m getting shit all sleep on this tour. I’ve never done anything like it before. I’m still adjusting.” The end of his sentence was stifled by a yawn. Lucy sat next to him and put an arm around his shoulder.

I hadn’t realised how tough touring was before until I’d seen how it was affecting my boys. Last time I’d come up, Josh had fallen asleep and now Dan was feeling the effects. I only just noticed, as I looked at his tired face, the bags under his eyes giving him a drawn sunken look. The whites of his eyes were tinged with a shade of red. His usually straight hair was messy and one side looked like he’d just lifted it off a pillow. The guys were slipping on their grooming habits.

“We got out of that house as soon as possible this morning; I need a good shower,” he explained as he rubbed his face.

Lucy and I exchanged a long look. We knew we were going to have to clean the guys up if they were going to appear on film.

“Can’t you sweet talk Fightstar into using one of their showers? This venue must have some somewhere,” Lucy said as something clicked in my head.

“Why did you want to rush out this morning?” I asked.

“All I’m saying is remind us not to stay with female fans again,” he said into his hands. He rubbed his eyes with the palm of his hand and looked up at us. We were waiting for further information. “She was a bit… friendly. Look, none of us really want to talk about it.”

“Daniel,” Lucy said with scrutinizing eyes. “What did she do?”

Dan sunk backwards into the chair with a worn expression. His cheeks were tinged pink.

“Let’s just say she tried it on a lot last night. I was forced to sleep in her bed, with her because there was ‘no more accommodation’ and she ‘accidently dropped her towel’ this morning in front of all of us.

I felt my eyebrows vanish into my hair with surprise and I knew Lucy was the same.

“Oh my God.” She said each word slowly, one by one. Dan just nodded and rubbed his eyes again.

“Fuck all sleep,” he murmured.

“So you all legged it out of there?” Lucy was biting back a laugh. Dan narrowed his eyes at her.

“Yes,” he said bitterly at his longest female friend. She erupted into giggles and he rolled his eyes.

“Right, I’m going to find a shower,” he sighed and left the room. The news of the eager fan was less amusing to me but I was pleased they realised it was wrong and left.

“Ladies,” Ashley stuck his head into the dressing room causing us both to jump.

“Ashley,” Lucy said in a pleased voice.

“How’a you?” I grinned at him.

“Fabulous,” he said flirtatiously and glanced at the cameras in our hands. “Get my good side?”

“Ashley, you do realise this video is about the band and that you’re not in it right?” Lucy stepped back and fell into Dan’s vacant chair. I sat down next to her.

“Meh,” he shrugged and bounced into the room. Max came in a few minutes later looking a bit more camera appropriate than Dan did.

“Do you get nervous?” I asked curiously because the boy only radiated excitement. He came and sat on my lap.

“Nahhh,” Max answered. “Well, a bit I suppose but it’s such a rush.”

“We’re so going to have to do all you over,” Lucy said eyeing Max up carefully.

“Excuse me?” he asked, extremely surprised. I swear his cheeks were turning red. I stifled a giggle and pushed him off me.

Lucy rolled her eyes and bit down on her lower lip.

“I mean make you look camera decent because none of you look good.”

“Thanks?” Max said, perplexed.

“She’s only trying to help,” I added and shrugged. Lucy searched through her large bag that she’d brought with her.

“Come here Maxykins.” She produced a large threatening paddle brush from the contents. Max backed up until he collided with the wall. It was rather small dressing room.

“Lucy,” he warned, not taking his eyes from the brush in her hand.

“Oh Max chill, she’s helping.” I burst into a fit of giggles at the shock on his face. “It won’t hurt you.”

“It’s that or you hop in the shower WITH Daniel.” Lucy’s right eyebrow arched with a smug grin.

“He’d do it,” Ashley commented and winked at me. I grinned back but turned my attention back to Max, who Lucy had now well and truly cornered.

“Oh come here,” she insisted with a huff and pulled him into an empty chair before yanking the brush through his hair.

“You got straighteners?” I asked Lucy as I tilted my head examining Max’s slightly curled hair.

“Josh’s broke.” Max laughed.

“There’s some in my hand bag,” Lucy told me.

“Oh great, he’ll be nicking mine in Ireland then,” I muttered and pulled out the required straighteners before placing them in Lucy’s outstretched hand.

“Ha, they pink aren’t they?” Lucy asked and plugged them into the nearest socket.

“Yeah, my pink GHD’s. Why have you got straighteners?” I asked, watching as Lucy methodically ran Max’s hair through the narrow blades.

“I’m down Dan’s tomorrow cause we’re getting back too late tonight, bloody parents are fucking useless.” She genuinely looked pissed and Max leant, terrified, away from the hot blades near his right ear.

“You don’t get on with your parents?” I sat myself in the chair next to Max to talk to her properly.

“You could say that, God I can’t wait to move out of that place. They’ve been a bitch to me since we moved away from Wales. I didn’t even get a bloody say in the matter and they’re all high and mighty in their new jobs.” She glowered at the back of Max’s head.

“Do you mind if I do it Luce?” Max asked tentatively.

“Sit still!” she snapped and Max stiffened. His hands folded into his lap and his lips pressed into a line – he looked like a guilty child being scolded by a parent.

“Got Uni next year so I can get out of that Hell hole,” she muttered and examined Max’s dead straight hair.

“Why don’t you move out now?” Ashley asked and came across to nick the straighteners off her and do his own hair.

“There’s no way I can afford for my own place and they won’t pay for one when I’m only 17,” she hissed and sank back down into her previous seat.

“You could come stay with me,” he offered and turned his head to examine his handiwork.

“What?” She sounded shocked. Max stiffened again next to me and my eyes flashed to him. His eyes had gone wide and his mouth had dropped open.

“Yeah, I need a roommate; you got a job haven’t you?” He turned the straighteners off and turned to face her. “It’s cheap, a bit small, but I need someone to cover the other half of the rent.”

Lucy gaped up at him, she’d completely frozen, then she burst into life and got to her feet.

“Oh my God Ash that’d be amazing!” she squealed and jumped into his arms. I didn’t take my eyes of Max. He was staring at the dressing table, his eyes glazed over. He realised I was watching him and his eyes instinctively met mine. He was hurting.

Oh my God, Max liked Lucy. Really liked Lucy by the look. Fuck.

Just as I made to comfort Max in some way, Chris and Matt came into the room full swing.

“No way, there is no way,” Matt was saying as he passed through the door.

“She said yes,” Chris insisted and from the tired edge in his voice he was sick of saying this to him.

“What?” Ashley asked as he unwound himself from an overjoyed Lucy.

“Chris has a girlfriend,” Matt announced to the room, not too scared to keep the dubiousness from his tone.

“Oh my God,” Lucy and I said together, they were pleased sounds rather than shock. Chris was the nicest guy I knew. He was seriously sweet and sensitive. He was the only one of the guys who understood, or at least was kind to, girls.

“Georgina Conway? She said yes?” Josh had finally arrived.

“Why does everyone sound so surprised?” Chris asked and I swear he sounded a little hurt. I got to my feet and hugged him.

“Ignore them,” I insisted in a whisper. “They’re twats.”

“Cheers,” he laughed and hugged me back.

“Congrats by the way. Georgina’s lovely.”

I’d only met her a few times but she seemed nice. She was pretty, sweet and caring – a perfect match of Chris. It was strange, this news had my stomach fluttering with happiness, and everything bad was forgotten. I was lost in the moment of someone else’s happiness and I knew the high wasn’t going to end.

“Where’s my hug?” Josh demanded when I’d let Chris go.

I narrowed my eyes and him.

“Where’s my hug?” I repeated him and raised my eyebrows, my hands on my hips. He melted, his face softened and he pulled me into a tight hug. I glanced over his shoulder at Max who was still staring at the dressing table. I kissed Josh’s cheek and moved away from him as he got talking with Ashley.

“Hey Max, fancy a fag?” I whispered and jerked my head towards the door. My look must have been meaningful enough because he understood and followed me outside. The filthy habit had grown on me because I’d used it to bond better with Max and some kids at school, and now I was addicted. Meh, I’d quit.

We were now in September and good ol’ British weather had cloudy skies looming over us. I just hoped it didn’t rain - there were a fair amount of kids lined up outside up front dressed in very little. That was something I really hated about gigs. You had to queue for hours in the freezing cold but it was always boiling and sweaty inside, you can’t win.

“So Lucy, huh?” I asked and took my first inhale.

“How do you girls do that?” Max demanded but sunk against the wall in defeat. He looked rather evil in the growing darkness with tired eyes.

“Call it a gift,” I said jokingly. The cigarette was adding to my calmed mood. It was soothing me from worry about something I couldn’t remember… what was I supposed to be stressed about? Oh-

“Doesn’t matter anyway,” Max interrupted my internal thought confusion and wiped my mind clean. His voice brought me back to the present.

“Max, just because they’re moving in together doesn’t mean they’re going to get it together,” I said quietly.

“I’ve seen the way she looks at him,” he said miserably and tapped the end of his fag so the ashes fell to the damp ground. When he inhaled next the tip glowed an ominous red.

“Oi, who’s the one with the gift?” I teased and actually made him smile a little. “I don’t think they’re like that, mind you this is coming from a girl that took about eight years to notice her best friend was in love with her and vice versa.”

“Confidence Jase,” Max chuckled. “Thanks.”

“Okay, outside my own little bubble I tend to be able to pick up on these things, I can see Lucy has spark for you. And don’t be too hard on Ash, I don’t think he’s doing it because he likes her. I think they’re just friends and he’s doing something nice for her.” I smiled at him but he was watching the clouds overhead. His face eased and he broke into a small smile.

“Thanks, Jase,” he finally said.

“Just don’t give up, if you like her, go for it. Now perk up, you have the final show to give tonight and we’re capturing you on film, so look happy and not like you’re about to commit suicide, it doesn’t really fit the theme of the song.”

“Suppose you’re right,” Max laughed. “Who’d be suicidal whilst performing a song about sex?”

“Gah, boys are so blunt!” I inhaled for the last time and flicked the stub to the floor. “It’s not just about sex.”

“Yeah, whatever, Joe and Josh wrote it, course it’s about sex.”

I ignored that and just laughed with him.

“C’mon, I got to fetch my camera.”

We walked back through the back entrance and down the corridor leading to the dressing room. We met the rest of the band in the corridor. Dan’s hair was half dried but at least he looked better.

“Where’ve you been?” Matt asked, looking utterly confused. Chris caught the scent first.

“Out for a fag,” he answered and I avoided Josh’s gaze. I hadn’t told him I’d started yet.

“Nice little bonding,” Max said, putting his arm around me and squeezing me to his side. He was back to his usual bubbly self. I knew how to work it.

“Where are you off?” I asked them.

“We’ve left our bags in the van,” Dan told us, still messing with his damp hair. “We’re not letting Lucy groom us and Matt needs to change, he stinks.”

“Thanks for that mate.” Matt clapped Dan on the back and walked past.

“You smoke too?” Josh’s question burst out suddenly like he couldn’t contain it anymore. I fidgeted uncomfortably and nodded slightly.

“Oh it’s not that big of a deal,” Chris sighed and pulled on Josh’s green and white top with the ‘Drop Dead’ print on the front. “Come on.”

They walked away and to the back entrance from where Max and I had just come from. Their van was just parked around the side. I sighed and hurried back to the dressing room.

Ashley and Lucy were in a corner talking about moving plans.

“Where’s Lewis?” I asked curiously.

“He’s working this evening,” Ashley answered me. “Couldn’t make it.”

A few of our lot couldn’t make it. Summer’s parents had refused to let them come up. Charlie, Harry and Jessica were all stuck at home cause they couldn’t afford to come up or just didn’t want to. The excitement seemed to be wearing thin for them now. It wasn’t for me – yet. Josh and I hadn’t invited anyone from college because we were trying to deduce friend from fake, Josh really hadn’t got a chance to ask some of the more genuine guys and it wasn’t my place to ask my new mates. Erin and Tom had come up again; they were out around the town somewhere. Tom wasn’t allowed to take photos this time because of the cameras filming the video. I wasn’t sure where Emily was, I knew she’d gone to help the guys set up.

I picked up the abandoned camera from the dressing table and sat down. I flipped open the screen and played around with some of the features.

“… so we’ll pick up your stuff tomorrow yeah?” Ashley was saying to Lucy when I zoomed out of his face.

“Seriously Ash, you have no idea how much this means to me, I seriously owe you big time!”

Even through the lens, I could see his eyes sparkling with sudden delight. I sighed and turned the camera back to the door at the sound of approaching footsteps.

“You’re not recording are you?” Emily asked when she caught sight of the camera.

“Not yet,” I said playfully and wiggled my eyebrows. “Nice hair by the way.”

Emily automatically ran her hands through her shiny dark purple hair and smiled at my compliment.

“Cheers.” She ripped a water bottle out of the large packet the guys had bought. When I could hear their voices I hit record and smiled to myself. I raised it to the door and recorded them coming in laden with backpacks and such. Chris and Max dumped their stuff over on the far side by Ashley and Lucy. Max was once again cheerful and seemed to be fine with Ashley.

Dan caught sight of the camera, smirked and moved out of the way so Josh was standing oblivious in front of it. He didn’t look very happy.

“Come on we’ve got to go and sound check,” he said to the room with a huff.

“Bored of all the work already?” I asked in mock surprise, not taking my eyes off the screen. He scratched his chin before glancing at me. His eyes dropped to the camera and he cottoned on.

He bent down into the camera.

“Uhh, Jase,” he moaned into the lens and nodded backwards towards the door looking. “Come on.”

He slipped his bag off his shoulders and threw it towards the corner where Matt and Dan had dumped theirs. I collapsed the screen in and turned off the camera when they left the room for their sound check. I swivelled in my seat to face the other guys better.

From the way Ashley was now staring at Lucy, I guessed he liked her as much as Max did – fuck. I groaned as quietly as I could but Emily heard me and looked at me questioningly. I just shook my head and rubbed the bridge between my eyes.

We just sat around chatting for half an hour about random shit.

“Why do you guys keep coming up?” Emily asked randomly.

“What’d you mean?” Lucy asked with a blunt laugh.

“Why do you keep coming up to these shows?”

“It’s a laugh,” Ashley answered and leant back in his chair ruffling it until it stood on end. He had the shortest hair out of all of us and a lovely sandy blonde colour.

“How often can you say your best friend is in an almost successful band?” Lucy answered with her hands raised. “Plus it’s fun.”

“Your answer can’t be ‘because my boyfriend is the lead singer’,” Emily pointed out to me.

“What? I was with the band way before all that, I was backing them all the way, I’ve been to like 90% of their shows,” I snickered. “They’re my mates, and both of what they’ve said applies too. They’re our rock star friends and it’s a laugh. I want to support them all.”

“She sounds so innocent like all the time,” Ashley said to Emily like I wasn’t there.

“Fuck you.”

“Oooh dirty words,” he teased. I sighed, snatched up my camera and left the dressing room, maybe I’d get a few shots of the sound check. I was surprised when they all followed me.

They were half way through their small set when we arrived; Emily and Lucy went down to the pit to watch at the back whilst Ash and I went backstage. A smile tugged at my lips when I saw Max notice Lucy and stumble over the song slightly. Josh was watching me from the side of the stage, grinning his way through ‘The Rumour’.

I hit the record button and filmed a number of shots as they checked. Ashley kind of got in the way a lot, he distracted Chris when it was Josh’s turn to sound checked. I caught footage of them sort of dancing. I chuckled to myself and I knew it was going to be used.

Josh and Chris left to go and get some coffee’s from the venue’s vending machines whilst the rest of us retreated to the dressing room again. I basically didn’t stop recording the entire time. I even filmed Matt talking about the merch and flashing the EP’s shit looking content notice with ‘You’ve Made Your Bed (So Sleep In It)’ and ‘Save It For The Bedroom’ on it at the camera. The piece of paper was framed decoratively with a Tom Barnes photo of the band at the bottom. I decided it was worthy of filming so did some nice zooming things with it.

“He’s singing already?” Ashley complained, turning away from the venue personnel he’d been talking to, as Josh’s voice came drifting towards the door.

“He’s drinking coffee too late, it’s what it does to him,” I answered without taking my eyes from the lens.

“Oh blood, what’s wrong with my singing?” Josh complained as he came through the door. He wrapped his arm around Ashley’s waist and pulled himself towards him whilst grinding his hips. “Save it for the, save it for the bedroooooooooooooom.”

Emily and Lucy burst into a fit of giggles the exact moment I did. The guys were more entertaining than usual tonight. Max was on a sugar rush or something. I got footage of him bouncing around the room before opening a can and pouring it all over himself whilst Josh watched him as if he was crazy. He glanced around the room confused.

A small sort of coke war then began which involved Ashley, Lucy and Max all squirting each other with the stuff. I’d left the room at this point, too scared they were going to get the camera wet.

It seriously amazed me how often Ashley got into the shots. As soon as the coke war was over and it was safe to return. I got a clip of him and Matt fighting over a refresher.

“Interesting stuff,” I laughed at hit the power off to save the battery.

“Half an hour guys?” A venue guy had appeared and everyone got to their feet.

“You’ve got upstairs seats today,” Chris said proudly glancing at the four of us that were guests.

“Seriously?” Lucy asked, amused. “Cool.”

“I’ll take them up,” Dan told the group who were starting to pace and slowly warm up.

The need to know where to find my seats outweighed to need to film. I’d get some more stuff later. As we made our way upstairs, I pondered over whether any of this would give me extra credit in Film Studies. We were at the top balcony where there was a row of seats facing the stage and either side. We decided to sit on the right hand side, closest to the stage in a type of booth thing you often saw in theatres.

“We have all this to ourselves?” Lucy asked in a high pitched voice, leaking her amazement.

“This band thing really is starting to pay off,” Ashley said and clapped Dan on the back with a laugh.

Then there were murmurs and squeals and footsteps and we all, except Dan, leant over the edge in curiosity. It seemed the doors had opened and the crowd was now starting to fill the room. I watched intrigued as girls with high squeals ran to the front and clung onto the barrier for dear life. As the crowd picked up, guys who were bigger than the girls started muscling their way through. Keen to get a shot, I leant over and filmed it all. When I leant back, I was point it at Dan and Emily who was pointing from the back of the room to me.

“Don’t film me!” she giggled and took a sip from the cup in her hand. Dan shook his head and yanked his hood down.

“Look, I’ll see you guys later, have fun,” Dan announced and headed for the door again. I followed him out pointedly aiming the camera at his face.

“You want me to keep filming all this shit right?” I asked. Plus I really, really needed to talk to Josh about the whole whorey Terri thing.

“Yes,” Dan laughed we went back into the dressing room. I growled when they were nowhere to be seen. Dan snatched something from his bag and led me to the backstage area. I could hear the babble of the crowd now. The air was thick with anticipation. I loved this atmosphere. Josh was on the phone to someone. When he spotted me and the red lit camera he dramatically mouthed ‘two minutes’ with a massive grin. I frowned and tried to listen to the conversation to work out who it was, but it was too loud. So I turned to Dan who was shovelling pasta into his mouth. He was much more awake than he was earlier.

Max was buzzing around the backstage area, he was so damn hyper! I peaked around the edge of the curtain in the wings and smiled out at the room. This was easily the biggest venue they’d played so far. I noticed a few guys with cameras in front of the barriers and one on the stage. I smiled and decided to cover the backstage area for them.

When the venue music stopped playing and the lights dimmed, I turned around in surprise and the guys had just broken out of their huddle. Damn, that would have been a really good shot. They bounded on to stage with much more energy than normal. Today they had to sell themselves to the crowd in front of them and the crowd behind the camera.

I decided to stay in the wings whilst they did their set. Every now and then I had Max coming towards me to do something into the camera.

“Hello,” he shouted in his hyped up mood into the lens. I squirted him with water.

“Max stick to the stage!” I scolded and put the camera down. I thought they were getting enough action on stage to retreated back upstairs for the rest of their support set.

“I love this song,” Lucy told me when ‘The Rumour’ announced the end of their set.

“Me too,” Emily seconded.

“It’s about an old friend,” I told them, realising this was the first time I’d mentioned it to anyone else. “A bitch of an old friend. She spread around that Josh and I were fucking behind my boyfriend’s back because I’d ‘neglected’ her as a friend.”

I sighed and sunk down into my seat. Emily looked at my sympathetically whilst Lucy just gaped.

“You didn’t actually…?” Ashley asked.

“No,” I defended quickly. “Nothing happened between us back then.”

I shifted uncomfortably remembering what Alex had asked of me when we’d broken up – not to give into Franceschi. He’d been right all along. It seemed it was obvious to everyone that Josh and I liked each other.

“Huh,” I huffed and then snapped out of my own little world. The three of them were looking at me, confused. I jumped to my feet. “They’re almost done, I’m gonna get them all sweaty and gross.”

Of course, Ashley followed me. I sighed before turning to him with a half smile.

“You really are determined to get in as many shots as possible aren’t you?”

He just laughed and jerked his head to the door.

“I promise to stay out of the next one.” He winked and opened the door for me. Shaking my head, I stepped through and hurried back down to their dressing room.

Ashley got in the way of course. He and Max kind of jumped into the walls when they returned dripping in sweat. They bounded around the room on a high.

Josh stepped outside to take a phone call, who the hell was he talking to? After they’d all cleaned themselves up, they snatched their merch and headed outside.

They were really, really successful that evening. They sold every single t-shirt, every single CD, posed for a billion photo’s and signed a ridiculous amount of stuff.

Realising that we were continuing to film for the music video the fans started showing off. Some guy started doing back flips much to Max’s entertainment. I generally just got in the band’s faces with the camera, I had several lovely shots of Chris. Ashley and Max broke out into a small brawl when most people had gone home. Max, still in his hyper mood, starting showing off to the camera just as the fan had but Ashley ruined it by squirting him in the face with water – now that made me laugh.

“Who were you on the phone too?” I asked Josh when I turned the camera off because another water fight had broken out.

“Blagging our way into things again,” he answered, not taking his eyes off Max.

“Huh?”

“Well... we’re hoping to release this record on Slam Dunk records, maybe we can get signed or something or get a record deal at least but for all that we need a manager. I was talking to someone at their office.”

“A manager?” Wow, things were getting really serious. “Awesome.”

Then something in me told me to talk to Josh about Terri.

“Josh, I nee-”

“Josh, get him away from me!” Max yelped and jumped on Josh’s shoulder, pulling him down with him. The pair collided with the concrete.

“Mate, what the fuck?” Josh demanded, struggling to get to his feet. Ashley dived on the pair. I growled, snatched up the empty merch boxes and headed back to the van where Matt, Dan and the girls were packing up.

“I’ll drive,” Lucy insisted, one hand on Dan’s shoulder. “You are hyped up on coffee and you’re going to crash any time soon.”

To be fair to him, Dan looked anything but tired, he was like Max and bouncing with energy so his rebuttal seemed reasonable.

“I’m fine,” he insisted at her. He was shaking.

“Lucy’s right, you’re gonna crash,” I seconded, dumping the empty box in the back of the van. I was in love with the new van – they’d had it adapted to fit several seats and the equipment. There ws now room enough for all of us to get back in one trip. We didn’t have a car to take back because we’d all come up on the train.

I clambered up into the seat on the farthest side whilst Lucy snatched the keys of Dan. Dan got into the row behind me, still bubbling and talking animatedly to Ashley. Emily sat down next to me and rested her head against the seat with her eyes shut. Dan grasped her seat and her eyes flew open with anger. Deciding it was best to capture this mood before he crashed. I hit the record button and just recorded his blurred talking.

“Oh my God I knew it! I knew it!” he cried when his eyes dropped to the lens. I giggled and finally hit the camera off because it was about to die. The rest of the band finally joined us ten minutes later. All the guys crashed as soon as we hit the motorway. Memories of needing to talk to Josh drifted from my mind as I slipped under unconsciousness, and we set off home with a load of footage for ‘You Me At Six’s first video.