Memoirs of a Dhampir

Prologue

I was starting feel a little jet-lagged from being inside the limosine that is currently driving to my new school - well, my old school actually. The journey of taking the private jet from Vancouver back to Montana and then taking this stupid limosine to St. Valdimir's was a little longer than I thought it would be.

"We're here," the driver said as he looked at me from the rearview mirror.

I glared at him for a few seconds, refusing to budge. Instead, I crossed my arms and huffed, making sure he knew I do not want to go to this stupid school.

"Miss Masen, your father has reminded me of calling for the guardians in case you throw a fit," the driver added. "I do not wish to do any of that because everyone will lose in some way."

"I don't want to go to this stupid school," I grumbled and glared at the old building in front.

People has stopped at what they were doing and they were staring at the limosine I was in. Not that it mattered anyway.

"I know why you don't wish to attend this academy but after what happened, your father does not want history to be repeating itself."

" - I doubt his wish would come true," I interrupted but sighed in mere defeat.

As much as I hate to admit, the driver was right. I grabbed a small messenger bag next to me and got out of the car. When everyone saw me, they started whispering to each other.

Great.

I wonder what kind of gossip news I would be in.

I walked towards the headmistress's office, letting the driver handle my suitcases to be transferred into my room.

Without any warning, I rushed into Kirova's office, causing her to jump a little from shock. She had her left hand over her chest and her eyes were wide as they tried to make sense of who had just stormed into her office.

"Miss Masen, do I have to remind you that we practice good manners here in St Valdimir's?" she cleared her throat and lowered her arm.

"Well, I don't want to be here," I mumbled and crossed my arms before looking up at her in a cocky way. "But I'm sure you already knew that."

"But you do not have a choice," Kirova laughed her horse laugh.

She stood up with a file in her hands and I managed to see my name written on the face of the file. In response, I frowned but did not ask about it.

"Your father has sent you here for a reason and we here at this academy intend to do our best to fulfil it," she took off her reading glasses to give me one last look from head-to-toe. "Dimitri, would you take her to her dorm?"

This time, I jumped when someone held me gently by my arms and pulled me out of the room. I followed the hand of this Dimitri person before jerking my arms away from him in anger.

"Get your hands off me," I hissed.

This Dimitri guy was wearing a white tee with a black leather jacket and he has spiked topaz hair but his every features tells me that he was a Russian - or Italian. Give or take.

"Your friends wishes to welcome you back to the academy," he had a slight European accent and I felt my heart hardened at the sound of friends.

"I want to go to my dorm," I insisted but was interrupted by another voice.

"Without saying hi?"

I spun around to see my 'good' friends Vasilisa Dragomir and Rosemarie Hathaway - well, they were my good friends when I studied here two years ago. I figured that after two years of not sending me a single letter, they'd forgotten about me or something - I was wrong.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" I spat, faking a mocking horror.

"Come on, Dahlia. Don't be like that," Vasilisa pouted a little but I rolled my eyes.

"A miracle happened right there," I said with pure sarcasm and turned to face Dimitri as I pointed to my two old friends. "These people I call my friends actually remembers my name after years of not replying to a single one of my stupid letters."

"We had a reason for that!" Rosemarie protested but I faked a throaty laugh causing her to stop and look at me.

"That's it with you people, isn't it? There's always a reason for whatever you were doing," I eyed them both with hatred.

Vasilisa had her head hung low but if I know Rosemarie, she doesn't back down from an argument - not when it was about her or Vasilisa.

"We wanted to write, we really do," Rosemarie surprised me by not arguing back.

"Whatever. I'm off," I interrupted, my hands up in the air in an exaggerated exasperation.

"Just because you're father's one of the members in a Moroi royal family does not give you the right to be all snobbish about it!" Rosemarie was starting to lose her patience, and I know it.

I stopped dead on my tracks before slowly turning to glare at her with pure venom. Vasilisa had her arms on Rosemarie, preventing the latter from jumping on me for a catfight.

Rosemarie had always been the tomboy in our group.

"I am not snobbish about it," I half-hissed, half-whispered as I tilted my head to the side. "I'm a Dhampir, remember? You of all people should know that."

"Rose," Dimitri finally said, causing her to look up at him with a confused expression. "That is enough. Dahlia has to get to her room to rest."

"Yeah 'Rose'. I need to rest," I half smiled. "I'm getting a little jet-lagged from all the travelling and meeting of my ' used-to-be's '."

I gave her a sarcastic smile, looked over at Vasilisa once more before rolling my eyes and walking away from my two old best friends.

Deep inside, I knew this isn't the last time I would see them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a prologue. Do you guys like it? Or is it terrible? Please comment.