Frank's Last Words

Snow White

“Mom its OK,” said Lily. They had to get out of the car very soon, the driver was getting out to open the door for them but her mother had a strange look in her eye.

Lily placed her hand onto her mothers.

“But why are they here Lily? Why is he here?” She said turning to her daughter.

“Because…Green Day are big at the moment and they always invite people that are in the news to these things. They might not even stay for the party afterwards. It’ll be fine, I’m with you.” She said as she felt the door open beside her, knowing they had to get out and face everyone.

“He looks so good.” Her mother said.

“He does look good, he’s a good looking guy. Mom I cannot believe your Frank from years ago was Tre Cool. You’re going to have to tell me everything later but for now,” said Lily as she knew she’d have to step out of the car, “its your evening so please enjoy it and relax.”

She heard her mother take a deep breath. “I’ll try but…please stay close to me Lily.”

“Of course I will now, come on, let’s go and expose you to the world C S Wilson.” Lily said then they giggled together, the two beautiful women and got out of the car.

Both at the same time wanting to see their Franks but apprehensive about this whole thing.

**

After walking along the red carpet, her mother’s publisher John met them. Lily had always liked him and he’d kept her mother’s secret for all these years. She wondered then if Tre Cool knew who her mother was had he ever read any of her work all those years ago? Tre Cool. She never would have imagined in a million years that he was her mother’s Frank, but then why would she? She thought as she followed her mother and John into the movie complex.

At the door her mother was being introduced to some men in suits and a couple of other people. She watched their faces as John introduced her mother as C S Wilson. Surprise? Shock? Yes, they showed both these emotions. She too shook some of their hands and then she turned as she heard some screaming coming from outside and she knew who it was going to be.

It had to be them.

Butterflies erupted in her stomach.

There was a stretch limo parked up at the end of the red carpet, the doors being opened. Gerard was the first to get out; smartly dressed in a black suit and black shirt, his hair long and touching his shoulders and the fact that Carly had this thing for him once made Lily smile and she thought of Carly who’d left their home town six months ago and gone to work in New York, to train to be a journalist. They emailed often.

Someone was speaking to her so she turned back. She hadn’t heard what they had said so she apologised.

“I said you must be very proud of your mother,” said the elderly man in a suit.

“Yes. Yes I am, she’s written so many wonderful books. Have you read them all?” Lily boldly asked.

“Um…yes, actually I…have but…Bloodsuckers is my favourite. I’m looking forward to seeing it.” He said but Lily had the feeling that he hadn’t read any of her mother’s books at all.

Her eyes were drawn once more back outside to see if she could catch a glimpse of him. They were crowded round having photographs taken, Ray was blocking the view of Frank and her stomach leapt. He was here, he was just over there, but she still couldn’t see him. She’d almost forgotten what he looked like; putting her hand up to her throat she drew a blank about what he looked like. What colour were his eyes again?

“Lily, come on, we have to take our seats.” Said her mother interrupting her and Lily reluctantly turned away from the guys on the red carpet, her legs slightly shaking as she followed her mother and John up some stairs and into the theatre.

The Past

There was a lot to learn at the dance school but Lily knew she was going to enjoy it. Madame Zola was going to pay her well, not that she needed the money but it was her money, her earnings and that made doing this all so much better.

The day had gone so fast she thought as she went to her locker to collect her bag. She hadn’t checked her phone all day and once she turned the phone on she noticed three text messages. The first was from her mother.

LILY, JOHN IS TAKING ME OUT FOR THE EVENING. I’VE TOLD HIM ALL ABOUT YOUR FATHER AND HE'S TAKING ME OUT TO CHEER ME UP. IF YOU WANT ME, JUST CALL ME. MOM X

Lily smiled. She liked John, he was good to her mother and had become more than just her publisher over the years, he was a good friend to her. Sometimes she thought John fancied her mother but being a gentleman and her mother being married she was sure he’d kept it hidden. She wondered what would happen now.

She texted her mother a quick message.

HAVE A GOOD TIME, I’LL BE FINE. SAY HELLO TO JOHN. L XX

Then she noticed the second text was from Frank and her heart started pounding just that little bit faster.

HEY LILY, YOU WANNA JOIN US FOR OUR GIG TONIGHT AND THEN BACK TO MY HOUSE FOR A LITTLE GET TOGETHER. MY FAMILY ARE AWAY FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS SO WE’RE GOING TO MAKE THE BEST OF THEM NOT BEING AROUND TO PRACTICE. FRANK.

Of course she’d go. She just wanted to be with him and to hear him play and practice would be the icing on the cake.

“Hey you looked pleased,” said a voice alongside her. it was Madame Zola, she hadn't heard her enter the locker room.

“Yes Madame, I…had a message from a friend asking me to spend the evening with him. I’m excited, that’s all.” Lily said, blushing. She wasn’t sure how much to tell Madame Zola.

“So…it’s a man,” said Madame Zola in her broken English.

“It is.” Said Lily fully aware that Madame Zola might not like this news, possibly thinking that ‘a man’ could get in the way of Lily and her teaching here.

“How fantastic,” she said. “Do you like him Lily? What does he do? Is he handsome?” She seemed excited, a small smile appearing on her face as she asked Lily about him.

“He’s a musician Madame Zola. He plays guitar in a band, they are very talented and...yes he’s very good looking.” She said shyly.

“But do you like him Lily?” She said once more Lily knowing that she hadn’t answered that particular question.

Madame Zola was staring at Lily. She wanted an answer.

“Yes Madame, I do but…” she said unable to finish.

“But what Lily? Does your mother not approve of…of this musician for some reason?”

“I think my mother will like him its just…I’m a little ashamed of…of all we have and I don’t want him to think that I’m just materialistic. Is that stupid of me?”

“May be Lily. This guy should like you for what you are and who you are.”

“I know that its just I’m not ready yet. I want him to get to know me for what I am first and for him to realise what I’m really like.”

“I hope it works out for you and this man Lily. If you are clever enough there is room to have a good career and a good man too. Don’t forget that.” She said almost sadly and Lily wondered then if she’d loved once. She must have, she’d seen the pictures of her as a young lady. A beautiful young lady. She must have loved once she thought.

“Well enjoy your evening Lily and I shall see you tomorrow. You did well today, well done,” she said and then she’d gone out of the locker room and Lily wondered then if Madame Zola felt lonely. She had no one to go home to.

Collecting her bag from the locker she closed up the door and realised she hadn't checked the last text message. It was from Carly.

TONITE IS MOVIE NITE LILY. REMEMBER? ZACH AND I ARE GOING. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? SEE YOU AT OURS AT 7. HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT. CARLY.

Shit.

She’d forgotten about their night at the movies. So much had been going on, the news of her father, the job here and she’d also got more involved with Frank.

She’d have to ring her this evening before she went to the gig she thought as she started to walk down the corridor, adjusting her bag and fumbling around with her keys and phone, a bright red apple in her hand as she hadn’t eaten much that day. She took a bite from the apple but just as she got to the door it flew open, taking her by surprise and knocking everything out of her hands apart from the apple.

Bending over to collect everything up she then heard a familiar voice.

“Here Lily, let me get those.” It was Frank, he was standing right beside her, totally unexpectedly. She hadn’t even brushed her hair, she was all hot and sweaty from dancing, she had on an old grey hoody over some old black jogging bottoms and she almost didn’t want to look up but knew she had to.

“Thanks,” she said and blushed.

“I thought I’d come here and meet you, I guessed you couldn’t answer my message if you were working. I wanted to see if you were coming to the gig and wanted to come to mine after.” He said tucking stray pens and a packet of gum into her bag for her while she picked up her phone.

“I’d love to, and yes I didn’t get your message until just now, I was about to call you.” She said standing up and taking her bag from Frank.

He was smiling at her and she thought deep down she must look awful; makeupless face, her hair hanging out of its loose bun, damp strands sticking to the side of her cheek, she nervously took another bite from her apple.

“Now I know who you remind me of,” said Frank eyes glinting as he opened the door to let her through.

“Oh. Who?” She said.

“Snow White,” he said and she turned quickly and frowned.

“Snow White!” She said what did he mean?

“Its just, with your hair, so naturally black and your skin so pale, your little pink lips and now that you’re eating that apple…you kind of remind me of her.” He looked slightly embarassed.

“Yeah and I have seven little dwarfs at home that help out with the chores,” said Lily who laughed at this guy.

But little did she know then that Snow White would become his pet name for her, especially when they were alone together.

it was something they shared that nobody else knew about.

The Present

She knew he was sitting behind her. Well, diagonally behind her. She heard them coming in, rushing in because they were late, whispering and giggling like naughty boys. She recognised Ray first and turned then saw them getting into the seats behind her and her mother, her heart pounding in her ears.

How could she concentrate on the movie now? Her palms felt clammy at least she had her back to him, she wasn’t expecting him to sit so close behind her.

She also wasn’t expecting Frank to tap her on the shoulder.

“Lily. Is that you?" She heard, his touch like a shockwave zapping through her body.