Status: Finished. Thanks guys!

Dedication Takes a Lifetime

03

“Tabloids suck,” I said, walking out of the hospital doors on crutches. “What’d they say this time, Louie?”

“‘Casey Burgess and Shaun White: Love on the Rocks?’” Louie Vito laughed as he read the headline from the crappy magazine he held in his hands. “Want me to read it?”

“What the hell,” Shaun said nonchalantly. “Let’s find out why I’d be on the verge of breaking up with Case. Even though I’m not.”

Louie flipped through the pages, looking for the article, as I got in the car awkwardly. Shaun helped me in and then threw my crutches in the trunk, telling Louie to sit in the backseat.

“Okay, guys, here it is,” he said as the car engine revved. “‘Casey Burgess, Team Canada snowboarder and Olympic gold medalist, and Shaun White, Team USA snowboarder and multi-gold medalist, have had a romantic relationship going on since Vancouver and the recording of the hit cover ‘Waitin’ on the World to Change’ to help Haiti. However, sources now report that their relationship has changed from the once-easy bunny hill ride to a double black diamond monster.’”

I cracked up. “Oh, the writing is so horrible! C’mon, read more.”

“Okay, okay. ‘While White and Burgess have been preparing for the upcoming Winter X Games, our photographers have sighted both of them out on the town – each time without each other. These photographs,’” Louie held up the page so I could see the pictures. A few were from my lunches with Mase, Louie, or Scotty while Shaun was busy with press stuff or his own business ventures, and the others were from his days with Molly, Mason’s sister, while I was fighting a terrible bout of the flu. “‘These photographs,’” Louie repeated so he could continue, “‘show Casey out at restaurants with three different men – all members of the United States snowboarding team and all friends of Shaun’s, while Shaun is seen with one woman and one woman only – Molly Aguirre, Mason Aguirre’s sister, another snowboarder. Shaun had posted on his Facebook wall not more than four days ago (at press time): “Casey and I have been training so hard for these games – it’s ridiculous. Personal time? Hmm? What’s that?” Casey has even been quoted as saying, “Yeah, [Shaun] pushes me really hard when we train. Sometimes I wanna just haul back and slap him and tell him I can’t do anymore…’”

“Way to manipulate a quote, guys,” I interjected. “I finished that sentence with ‘… but it helps me in the long run and I’m so grateful. I wouldn’t be able to do half the stuff I do without his pushing.’” I shook my head. “Keep going.”

“‘We’ll keep you updated on their status as a couple as we cover this year’s Winter X Games. But ladies, keep your eyes open, for Shaun White may soon be back on the market.’” Louie closed the magazine and placed it on the seat beside him. “Ridiculous. You guys are so perfect together it sickens me.”

“It’s trash! Why’re we even in that sorry excuse for journalism? We’re athletes, not celebrities.” I glanced over at Shaun, who had such a tight grip on the wheel his knuckles were turning white. “What’s wrong, Spaz?”

“Blatant. Lies.”

“I know, I know.”

“How could they even write that without feeling bad? Jesus Christ, they have no conscience.” He twisted his hands on the wheel. “They’re accusing me of cheating. I’m not a cheater. I’ve never been a cheater. They don’t even know me, so how could they print that?” He pulled into his driveway and parked.

“Don’t get too worked up, Shaun. Like Case said, it’s trash. You shouldn’t let it get to you. Right? You and Casey are going so strong and I can tell it’s gonna last. The only magazines that should matter to you are Sports Illustrated and ESPN. Even the little independent snowboarding magazines shouldn’t get to you.” Louie reached over the seat to pat Shaun’s shoulder.

“Rolling Stone,” I threw in. “They did a really good feature on him.”

“See? Those people actually have brains and they know what the fuck you do. Okay, man?”

“Yeah, whatever. I’ll see you later, Louie.”

“Yup. Bye Case, get better soon.”

“Bye, Louie!” I watched as he left and got into his own car, driving away. “He’s right, you know,” I pointed out.

“I just don’t want them ruining us, Case.” He ran his hand through his hair. “Look at what they did to Michael Phelps.”

“Spaz, trust me. We’re gonna get through this, and prove some ridiculously idiotic journalists wrong in the process.” I opened my door. “Help me out?”

He nodded, still looking distant.

This is gonna be a lot harder than I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
And the story begins. :)
I'm glad that Erin's enjoying the drama. I knew she would. :D
Comments, suggestions, predictions?
Ten stars in two chapters. Seriously. Awesome job, guys.