The Professor's Daughter

THREE

It didn’t matter how much Maria stayed up that night, nothing from any of the textbooks seemed to sink in. She had sat, into the early hours of the morning, cross-legged on her narrow bed with the books open before her. How she had wished that some of it would make that little bit of sense? But none of it did and by the end she felt ready to burst into tears.

Life in England had to go well. There was no choice in the matter.

“You look horrible.” Susie commented the following morning before class.

“I’m so glad I met you, Susie.” Maria tried to smile in reply but it took too much energy and she rested her head on the table in defeat.

“You know what I mean. What’s up?”

Maria sat back up again reluctantly and sighed. “I’m so tired.” She cried quietly. “And none of this,” She motioned to the books that Leighton had given her, “is making sense at all. Will you help me?”

Susie grimaced and Maria immediately knew no good response would come from her.

“You know I would but I think it’s safe to say, anything I would teach would very likely be completely wrong.”

“Thanks.”

“Why don’t you just ask Professor Leighton for some help? That’s what he’s there for isn’t it? To teach us?”

Maria looked away. “It would be so awkward though and I’m pretty certain he hates me already. He’s bound to say ‘no’.”

“Enough of this morbid talk Ludwig, he barely knows you and anyway, Leighton hates everybody. It’s basically written in the prospectus.”

As if his ears were burning, Professor Leighton chose that moment to make his entrance. Placing that ever present briefcase on his desk.

“Right, let’s begin.” He pulled a wad of paper from the case and leafed through it, his eyes glancing briefly to the class. Maria instantly looked down at her desk with unease.

Sighing it away, she knew she needed help from someone and the thought of hours alone with the professor made her stomach churn with trepidation. Shyly, Maria raised her eyes to the front of the room, the textbooks in front of her and the lesson being taught forgotten.

She would be sat in this classroom with no one but this man.

This… imposing man who stood tall but never realized his true height and who’s eyes would sweep across and if you were lucky enough, would stop and you’d realize their true depth.

Maria was knocked from her stupor by a painful jab in the ribs.

“How do you expect to learn anything if you don’t listen.” Susie hissed.

Maria shook her head and uncapped her pen, writing down notes furiously. Susie was right, consuming her head with mindless thoughts about Leighton would only make her situation worse. And if Susie had noticed her gawping, had he? Maria’s vision crawled up to the Professor.

No, he was still teaching, drawing some puzzling diagram on the board so that his arm was raised and the fabric of his shirt, strained from the waistband.

Stop it, Maria, she warned herself and focused back onto her work. He smells bad and his smile is ugly.

Neither of these things she knew at all but building up a negative image of the professor helped settle her stomach a little. Maybe now she could focus on the actual lesson and not the unknown feelings that seemed to be materializing.

It felt strange to think of those two words together: Leighton and feelings. It made it sound like she was in love with him but the situation was far from that. After all, she’d been at the university less than a week in which time Leighton had been particularly hostile to her without even talking to her properly. And Maria didn’t know whether to be angry in return or feel sorry for her fathers loathing?

“Has that helped?” Susie asked as the lesson drew to a close once again.

Maria shook her head and flicked the pages in her book. “There’s still this whole chunk you all covered last year that I haven’t even glanced at.”

“Fine, wait here.” Maria watched as Susie rounded the desks to arrive in front of Professor Leighton; she watched as Susie babbled on to him and she watched as Leighton’s eyes flicked up to her as they talked.

She didn’t watch after that.

“There, all sorted.” Susie smiled. “Now you can thank me.”

“Can I ask what for?”

“You may.” The pair were heading towards the door now. “Leighton has offered a tutoring session on Friday at two o’clock.”

“What?” Maria hissed. “Did you not hear me say how awkward it would be?”

“And that’s why I will be attending as well you idiot. See I have thought about these things,” Susie smirked. “Now say ‘thanks’ and shut up.”

Maria bit down on her lip. “Thanks.” She mumbled, her insides already stirring at the thought.
Image
Sluggishly slowly, Friday made its appearance and Maria had managed to calm down her nerves enough to think maturely about her work. Though she still desperately needed help if any part of her wanted to pass the course.

“I don’t see why you need to have extra class time.” A boy called Curt groaned. He was one of Susie’s friends and the three of them were stood outside the science blocks.

Maria had already decided she didn’t like Curt and it hadn’t taken long. They’d met briefly the day before and something about him irked her. Perhaps it was the way he talked so slowly as if each syllable was a chore, or the way his arm snaked Susie’s waist when they stood together. Or perhaps it was that his wide eyes, which were underlined with dark shadows, would attach themselves to whoever he talked to in an unearthly manner.

Either way, Curt did a successful job of creeping Maria out and she felt uncomfortable when with him.

“We should get going, Susie. Professor Leighton might be waiting.” Maria tried in an attempt to be free.

Susie nodded and said her goodbyes to Curt alone.

Professor Leighton wasn’t waiting but he arrived soon after Maria and Susie did. Susie was on top form for acting and for a while Maria did believe that she was having as much difficulty with her work as she was.

Anyhow, Maria knew now was the time to concentrate on her work and did her best to forget it was Leighton peering down at the textbook with her or that his voice was the one in her ear. They had made good progress through the time and Maria was happy. Happy that she was understanding some of the missed work and happy that Leighton seemed, even if it was just a little, less hostile towards her.

The session was ten minutes from finishing and Leighton was grabbing something from his desk when a large man with the beginnings of a potbelly and a grey curly beard walked into the classroom.

“Ah Thomas, I just wanted to…” The man stopped in his tracks when he noticed the two girls. “Oh hello girls. What are you all up to?”

“Professor Leighton was just helping us out, Uncle.” Susie smiled. “This is Maria Ludwig and Maria, this is Professor John Daniels, my uncle.”

“And head of science studies don’t forget.” Professor Daniels laughed and offered his hand to Maria which she shook timidly. “Maria Ludwig, eh? I saw your name pop up on the system last week. You are the professor’s daughter?”

“Yes, sir.” Maria replied.

“Well, you do have that Ludwig look about you. I’ve met your father once or twice, lovely man, very clever as well though perhaps a little misread.” Professor Daniels trailed off as if in thought before returning quickly to his audience with a beardy grin. “Do we think the younger generation at least half as clever, Professor Leighton?”

Leighton’s eyes rested on Maria for a moment. “At least.” He spoke quietly.

The room was quiet for a moment before Daniels gave a small laugh and looked at the papers in his hand as if he didn’t realize he’d been holding them all the while.

“Ah, here we are. I have the final schedule for the Rostock trip for you Leighton.”

“Thank you. I’ll pass them along at the next class.”

“Are you going on the trip, Miss Ludwig?” Professor Daniels asked her.

“I’m afraid I have no idea what trip it is you talk of.” She admitted.

“Our class is attending an astronomy seminar in Germany.” Interjected Susie.

“Yes, it has an excellent line up. I thought it perfect to assist your current studies.” Daniels explained.

“Maria grew up in Rostock.” She heard Professor Leighton point out. “I’m sure it is nothing she has not seen before.”

“Of course, how could I forget?” Daniels laughed. “But has she seen it with the thinking cap of a university student? That is the question. I believe it would be important you attend nevertheless.” Maria went to object, there was no way her family could afford such a trip and visiting Rostock, seeing the city she once had and loved would be upsetting. “I won’t hear your excuse, my dear. Come and have a chat with me in my office next week and we shall sort it all out. Now if you don’t mind, I must be off and I demand, Leighton, that you release these girls at once. It is officially the weekend and our new student looks ready to collapse with tiredness.”

Maria blushed at the comment and packed away her belongings in an attempt to hide it.

“Auf wiedersehen.” Called Professor Daniels as he chuckled to himself in the corridor, Susie not far behind.

“Have a good weekend.” Leighton responded, unsure of his words or the kinder tone to his voice.

“You too, Sir.” Susie beamed, following her uncle out of the room.

Maria gave Leighton a small smile before departing and for a moment she thought she saw a brief, rueful smile in return.

Maria had been wrong.

The professor’s smile was not ugly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok so the beginning took an age to write so sorry for the small delay, plus extra long chapter. What are we thinking of Leighton and Maria so far? And what about Susie?