Childlike Love

Maybe Crying

Heechul had never had a boyfriend before When Kibum sort of broke up with him, he felt happy that he had had a relationship that he didn’t even know about, for Kibum had never asked him to be his boyfriend nor did he ask Kibum to be his. At the same time Heechul started hurting inside. for the past few months that he had been having encounters with Kibum he had started to grow attached to him. Besides his parents and Hankyung, Heechul had never let anyone else see him cry and so he tried his hardest to keep a neutral face and just replied, “I see...” and walked away from where they had met.

Heechul had had girlfriends before and when they broke up with him, he never begged to be taken back. This time instead of going to Hankyung and telling him what had happened, he walked and walked until he found himself on the roof of the building where their apartments were located at. “Am I supposed to cry?” he whispered to himself. Heechul, when his girlfriends would break up with him he had never cried either. He used to think that ha had never really loved them enough to cry over them, although he did feel sad.

“You can cry if you want,” Heechul turned half surprised, “I won’t tell,” Ryeowook gave a soft laugh. Heechul smiled back at him, “I won’t cry.” “In that case smile,” Ryeowook pulled his cell phoneout infroent of him signaling Heechul thet he was going to take a picture. Heechul found Ryeowook’s actions cute and smiled even wider.

“What were you doing up here all alone?” Heechul asked Ryeowook after they had taken a serious of pictures together. “Just talking,” Ryeowook pulled out his phone again, “My mom called.” Although Ryeowook had that adorable smile that Heechul loved he saw sadness in Ryeowook’s eyes. “Turns out my big brother is going to have another art show, mom and dad,” Ryeowook put his phone away, “… they’re going to miss the show that me and Hankyung are going to be on.” As Heechul had learned, Ryeowook had come to play the piano and sing to get his family to notice him, but they always seemed to pay more attention to his brother.

Heechul wrapped his arms around Ryeowook, “Wookie, if you want I’ll film you guys and then we can send it to your parents so they can hear all my good comments about you.” Ryeowook laughed out loud, “You’d do that for me?!”

“Yeah, of course!” Exclaimed Heechul, not realizing that he had forgotten that he had been sad.

Today when Kibum had rejected him for the third time this week, he couldn’t hold it in and cried in Hankyung’s arms. Although they were best friends, Heechul hadn’t told Hankyung that Kibum had told him that their fun and games were through. Being in the park with only Hankyung and seeing him act childishly, licking the sweetness that had stayed on his fingers from the sweetbread, he felt like he had to tell him why he had truly left home to sing with the band. “Remember you told me that you had come here to Korea to sing … to make your parents proud of you?”

“Yeah,” Hankyung smiled, “I told you after you defended me when that guy, I don’t remember his name, from that other band kept making fun of me.” Hankyung remembering the happy moment he felt when Heechul defended him, he placed his hands on his waist just like Heechul had done and deepened his voice, “Hey leave my Hankyung alone. It’s not his fault he can’t speak Korean well!” And just like Heechul had done, Hankyung stuck out his tongue.

Both Hankyung and Heechul burst out laughing. For a second there Hankyung laughed to hard, he ran out of breath and because of his cold, he started coughing. Heechul quickly ran over to him an patted his back, “You ok?” “Yeah,’ Hankyung replied catching his breath.

“Hankyung … I want to tell you something,” Heechul sat down on one of the park benches and waited for Hankyung to join him. “I never told you why I joined the company.” “You didn’t …” Hankyung gave a soft laugh, “I always thought it was because you liked to sing and be cute in front of the camera.”

“Haha, well besides those reasons…” Heechul words faded as he looked away from Hankyung. “Besides wanting to be on TV … you see when I was in high school I had this girlfriend, he name was Mimi.” “What a cute name,” Hankyung interrupted and thinkging, Heechul has had girlfriends before?

“I know,” Heechul replied, “But she had an older brother named Ling. One day when me and Mimi had returned from school’s choir practice, Mimi had just gone up to her room to leave her backpack and instrument, she played the flute, when Ling just came onto me and kissed me. I was so surprised I did … I didn’t react quick enough and by the time I noticed, Mimi was kicking me out of her house…” Heechul pause to look at Hankyung to make sure that he was listeninf and then he counstinued. “The worst thing I thought would happen would be that I wouldn’t see her again, but I was so god dam wrong.

Heechul made fists in anger as he recalled, “She told her parents, they told my parents and then they got mad at me. I couldn’t take their criticism anymore so I took this opportunity…” Heechul sighed and left go of his anger.

“So you weren’t gay, but yet you kissed Kibum-” Hankyung started to reason but Heechul interrupted, “It wasn’t like that …”Heechul couldn’t look at Hankyung. “Kibum … he doesn’t like me, I think he just kissed me because I resemble a girl-” “Oh come on!” Heechul widened his eyes, surprised at Hankyung’s sudden outburst, “I bet that’s not why Kibum likes you and don’t worry, maybe there’s a reason why he’s not ready to show his affection towards you in public…” Heechul smiled, “It doesn’t matter,” he said and took a deep sigh, “Kibum said it was over a week ago.”

“But… but,” Hankyung surprised right, then left trying to point towards apaertment, “But you … he, but you were crying.”

“I know, I know,” he, Heechul stood, “I guess it hadn’t really hit me until today…” Heechul looked up at the sky and then down at his feet, “… and I’m glad you were there for me.”