Status: Slowly active. Leave comments.

Our Heat Is Gone

Nine.

“I think you should go out tonight.” I looked up from a letter I was writing to a friend back in the states and up at my mother as I heard her say this. She was leaning on my new bedroom door frame with her arms folded and a concerned expression on her face. I suppose it was just from the fact that it had already been a full week since we officially moved here in Weybridge and I wasn’t accustomed to anything or take a liking to anyone.

What should she expect though? I’m just a teenager that was dragged to almost the other side of the world with her mother to be away from her ex-husband and acclaimed father to her only child. Sure, Arizona wasn’t much, but at least there I knew people and had things going for me. Now, I’m here in the UK. The only person I know is my own cousin and even he and I weren’t that close. I have no idea about the lifestyle here or it’s surroundings. What do I have going on for me here?

“I don’t really want to.” I replied to her and continued writing my letter. I knew though that my mom hadn’t left the room.

I heard her let out a sigh. “Lexi, just try at least. Go out with Dan tonight. He’s offered to give you a tour around the town plenty of times.”

Probably never going to hear the end of this, it was my turn to sigh as I dropped the pen in my hand on the desk, and looked back up to my mom. “Okay, fine. I’ll call Dan up and take his offer.”

“Thank you so much.” My mom smiled and shut up then left my room so I could get ready.

I grabbed my new cell phone and called my cousin up. A couple of rings I was greeted with an unfamiliar voice.

“Yo.”

“Dan?” I asked with confusion because I didn’t recognize this voice to belong to my cousin. In the background I heard: “Give me that back!” and I was sure that that voice belonged to Dan.

“Hello?” Finally, Dan said into the phone.

“Dan, hey it’s Lexi.”

“Lexi, hi! How are you?”

“I’m doing alright. How are you?”

“Great! Not to be rude, but why are you calling me?”

“Oh, um…I was just wondering if you’d still want to take me on a tour around Weybridge.”

“Of course I still would. When do you want to go?” He replied with enthusiasm.

“Um, if you’re not busy, how about now?”

“I’m not. I’ll be over in about ten minutes.”

“Okay, thanks so much.”

“No problem. I’ll see you in ten.”

“Alright, bye.” When he hung up. I got up from the seat of my desk and walked to my closet.

The rest of the day Dan had shown me almost all of Weybridge’s finest and I was impressed. He made this place seem like a nice place to live. It was almost dinner time and he was taking me out to eat at this restaurant.

“So, did your mom force you to go out?” Dan asked me after he gave the waiter our menus then left.

“To be honest with you, yes, she did.” I didn’t want to lie to him.

“Oh okay. Not just because you wanted to spend some quality time with your cousin.” He joked.

“I did have fun though. I’m beginning to really like this place now.” I said sincerely trying not to hurt any of his feelings incase he thought I made him just waste his time because I was forced to go out.

“Really?”

“Yeah, I really am. I‘m kind of glad I was well forced to and did it.”

“Great! Say, my band is having a gig tomorrow at the venue I took you to see today. Do you want to watch us play?”

I knew Dan was in a band and he had been for a few years too, but I’d never listened to them or even met his friends. I was getting curious now to see how his band was.

“Yeah, I’ll go.”

“Okay, be free at six tomorrow evening.”

“I’m sure I will be. What's the name of your band?"

"You Me At Six."

"Oh, how ironic." I joked.

Tomorrow, six in the evening, was already here. I dressed myself in a simple jeans, t-shirt, and beat up vans. I was sitting in my living room awaiting for Dan’s arrival. I was kind of scared that he showed me up. Still obviously worrying about if he was mad or not at me about making him take me out last night because my mom told me to. It was ten past six until I heard the doorbell ring. I stood up immediately and opened the door.

“Sorry, I’m kind of late.” Dan apologized with a small smile.

“It’s okay. I almost thought you stood me up.” I admitted while stepping outside after locking the door.

“Now why would you think that?” He asked as we walked over to his car.

“I don’t know I just thought you would be mad at me for wasting your time yesterday because I was forced to go out.”

“I’m not that mean and you’re my cousin. Plus, you’re going to be living here from now on you might as well start getting used to things here.”

I nodded at his words and hopped in the passenger seat. When we made it to the venue, was when I started to get really nervous. Sooner or later I was going to meet Dan’s band mates. Scared to what they may think of me.

“What’s wrong?” I heard Dan ask, breaking my thoughts.

“What?”

“You just had this look on your face as if you’re going to throw up or something.”

“Oh, I’m fine. I’m just…nervous.”

“Nervous? About what? If anyone should be nervous it’s me. I’m about to play in front of you and try to impress a bunch of local kids.”

“Just nervous about what your band mates might think of me and I’m sure you’ll play nice.”

“Relax, they’ll love you and thanks.”

When we made it to the venue Dan and I were looking for the room where the rest of the guys were suppose to be at. We both heard yelling and it sort of freaked me out while Dan on the other hand seemed to be laughing his ass off. I don’t know why, it almost sounded like someone was getting murdered or was really insane. He grabbed my hand and led me quickly over to the direction of the screech. I tried to slow down our speed by planting my feet on the ground still.

“What’s up?” He asked noticing and turning around.

“Why are you going that way? It sounds like a maniac is over there.”

“No, it’s definitely the guys. Come on.” He said and dragged me back to the direction of it.

We finally made it to the door and Dan opened the door to let me walk in first. Once I walked into the room I was instantly knocked to the ground by someone jumping on me.

“Shit!” Someone in the room yelled. “Get off of her!” “What the fuck are you doing, mate?” Other voices were joining in ganging up on the person who jumped me.

“Max, you dumbass, get off.” Dan said and picked up the guy off of me. Dan then extended his hand towards me and helped me up off from the floor.

“Sorry, I thought it was Josh coming in.” The guy who I assumed was Max explained to us.

“Who is Josh?” I asked Dan.

“Our singer.” Dan answered as I nodded in response.

“So, Dan, who is this lovely lady?” Max asked wiggling his eyebrows. I couldn’t hold it in, I laughed at this Max guy. He seemed silly.

“She’s my cousin. She just moved here a week ago from America.”

“Oh, American! I’m Max.” Max introduced himself to me with his hand out to me.

“Lexi.” I smiled and shook his hand.

“I can tell we’re going to be best friends.” He stated.

“You’ve just met me and you already think so?” I said laughing a bit at his prediction.

“I know so. Anyway, over there we got Matt and Chris and damn it, where the hell is Josh?” He said going around the room, but stopped at the empty seat where this Josh guy was suppose to sitting at.

“He said he was going to fix his mic.” Matt explained getting up and picking up his bass.

“It’s almost time, we better get on stage.” Chris said getting up as well.

“Come on, you can watch side stage.” Dan told me and led me over to the side of the stage.

I stood there on the side of the stage right by Max trying not to look awkward. It was easy seeing is that he kept looking over to me and made crazy faces that I couldn’t help, but laugh at. I was beginning to really like this kid. He made me feel welcomed.

It was when my eyes diverted away from Max for a moment to the singer was when I felt a bit uneasy again. He never noticed me on the side of the stage or looked over at my direction not that I had expected him to, but he had my attention. I figured he was Josh and Josh had this voice that was really different and captivating. If I hadn’t known he was from the UK I might’ve mistaken him to be American.

I had to admit. They were really great and the crowd seemed to take a liking to You Me At Six. When they finished their last song, Max ran into me again.

“Did you like us?” He asked jumping up and down still full of energy.

“I did. I’m really impressed.” I said to all of them and they thanked me.

I don’t even know how it happened, but I was soon face to face with their singer. A small towel over his head. He looked like he had seen a ghost and he made me feel a bit nervous again. I was already feeling okay around the guys especially to Max since he talked to me the most and was determined to make me see that I was his best friend. Then here comes this tall, average built, blue-eyed, brunette, with a hair-do that I can’t even explain, but it suited him well, and ruins my comfort zone.

“Hi.” Was the only thing that came out of his mouth.

“Hey.”

“Do…do I know you?” He asked. When he wasn’t singing his accent came out more and it was making me feel weak. I guess I was always a sucker for accents.

“Um…” I was simply going to say ‘no, you don’t. I’m Dan’s cousin and I just moved here from America,’ but he took my breath away.

“No, you don’t, Joshua. This is Dan’s cousin and my best friend.” Max came over drapping his arm over my shoulder and answering for me.

“You’re Dan’s cousin from America?” He asked and I nodded.

“Yes, she’s my baby cousin.” Dan clarified walking over to us. “He was the one who answered my phone yesterday when you called.” He explained and I just made a ‘oh’ face while nodding.

“Max, Dan, let’s get your shit into the van so we can go out to eat.” Chris said to Max, who was packing up his guitar and awaiting on Max. Matt was already long gone.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. You’re eating out with us, right?” Max asked me and I looked over to Dan who nodded.

“I guess I am.” I smiled over to Max who just cheered and then walked away with Dan. I looked back over in front of me and he was still here, but his towel was now wrapped around his neck.

“Oh, um, I’m Josh.” He finally introduced himself properly to me and stuck out his hand to me.

“Alexia, but you can call me Lexi.” I introduced myself and shook his hand. I made a strange disgusted noise as I realized his hand was incredibly sweaty. He must’ve realized it and quickly pulled away his hand from my own.

“I’m so sorry.” He apologized, his face burning up, clearly embarrassed.

“It’s okay.” I said while wiping my hand against my jeans.

“So, how long have you been in Weybridge?” He asked trying to start a conversation.

“About a week already.”

“Cool, how do you like it?”

“It’s neat. Dan showed me around yesterday.”

“Where did he take you?” He asked. I tried to recollect the events from yesterday as I told Josh the places where Dan had taken me yesterday. He nodded shifting his weight from one leg to the other and tousled his hair. He told me of another place that Dan hasn’t taken me to and to me it sounded like a place I really wanted to check out. “Maybe, I can show you…that is if you want me to.” He asked incredibly awkward.

I don’t even know if he was really asking me anymore. The atmosphere was tense and awkward, there was really no other word to describe this, but something inside of me wanted him to show me and not let Dan or anyone else do it. I wanted to know Josh. So, I agreed to meet him tomorrow not knowing that that was going to make everything in Weybridge feel like this was where I truly belonged and not in America.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, if you didn't figure it out, this is a flashback, and rather long. Not exactly the flashback I had in mind first, but I figured why not? I might make the next chapter as another flashback or not. I don't know.

Okay, Tania, here is my update. Now you have to update your Nick Santino story for me. Also, thanks for giving me this idea for making this chapter as a flashback. I love you, c-biffle. I shall update "Back In Your Head" for you soon.

Thanks for the star, comments, new subscribers, and remember leave comments for the next chapter!