Run Baby, Run

a. prologue

“Bullshit.”
I looked up. The most beautiful, honey brown eyes I’ve ever seen were staring mockingly into my green ones.
“Oh yeah?” I challenged.
She gave me a smile that had just a hint of a smirk in it and nodded at me as she extended her arm to pick up the cards that I had just set on the table. I kept my face composed as she picked them up but as soon as I saw her adorable smile slowly turn into a frown as she examined my cards, I couldn’t help but let out my laughter.
“God damn it!” she yelled as she threw the cards at me trying to hold back the smile that was fighting its way onto her face then mumbled, “I’m getting another beer…”.
“Hey, get me one too!” Tony called over his shoulder.
“Are you sure you want to be drinking so much before Curtis’ party?” I asked her as I shuffled the cards.
“It’s not Curtis' party, it’s his friend Marco’s party,” she answered before she took a long swig from her beer.
“Ohhh! Is he gay?” Pierre chimed in.
“Who? Marco?-“
“Isn’t Curtis going to be here in a few minutes to pick you up?” I interrupted her.
“Man, you gave me shitty cards again,” Tony groaned.
“Well? Is he gay or not?” Pierre urged.
“No. Two Aces and a queen,” She said while handing everyone a beer and taking another swig from hers.
“Bullshit,” I said nonchalantly. “So he isn’t coming to pick you up?”
“Wait, is that a no to Marco being gay?” asked Pierre.
“No he isn’t gay,” she replied as she put the cards she just sat down in the pile and got new ones.
Pierre let out a whiny sigh, “he shouldn’t have a gay name then.”
“Well?” I questioned her again, and was yet again ignored.
“How do you have a gay name?” Tony asked as he exhaled smoke, “Three fives one seven.”
“Bullshit - Is he coming or not?”
“No,” she finally answered, “he’s working.”
“Sweet! So you can stay and chill with us?” I asked.
She smiled at me and replied, “No. Curtis can’t take me so you are.”
“Wait, what? You don’t even want to go to this.”
“Duh, but I promised him that I would show up for a while. You don’t have anything better to do anyway.”
“Whatever. I’m just your excuse to not have to socialize.”
She gave me her infamous crooked smile, set her cards down and got up from her chair, “that too.”
I groaned but gave in to her like I always did, “when are we leaving?”
“Nine o’clock,” she replied happily as she shut the door to her room.
“Hey! What about us?” called Tony.
“Take Pierre to a gay bar or something,” I answered before shutting my own door to get ready.

That was my first mistake. I should have loaned them each one of my suites and invited them to come along, but I didn’t and honestly, I didn’t really want to. I liked being with her when it was just us. We didn’t have very much “us” time anymore. At least not since her and her boyfriend got engaged. I mean yeah, we share an apartment but she spends more time at Curtis’ place now and I barley ever see her. Still, spending one night alone with her probably – no, definitely isn’t worth having her voice haunt me instead of brightening my day. Her name is Torrey Marie Williams and I’ve secretly been madly in love with her since our freshman year in high school and everyone but she knows it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter one will be out in a few days, or sooner if I get feedback