Status: Staring. Feedback welcomed.

Breaking up the Girl

It's a drag

I don't know how he's such a good guy. Most guys would be out the door if a word even started with a 'p', Shaun seemed to swallow his fear within' ten seconds. It made me feel a little worse, seeing as how I'm still scared. That was two days ago, since then he's been treating me like nothing's up. We figured we should break the news to our parents, mine first since we're here. It was starting to rain by the time our cab pulled into my drive way.

"Mom?" I called into the empty, classically New England house. Praying my mom was here so I didn't have to talk to my dad I crept in the door. "Hm… she's not here."

"Should we come back another time?" He asked rather skittishly.

"Why? Haven't you ever been in a girl's house alone before?" We both laughed and he play punched my jaw. I on the other hand pulled him in by the wrist to the front entry way. The front door shut behind us and I felt a chill go down my back as we stood in front of each other. "I'll go check out back."

"Yeah… ok." His breathing slowed and then Shaun went to sit down on a sofa in the living room.

No one was out back, only rain. I sat down next to him and then sighed heavily as I turned on the TV. A deadly weather report was going across the bottom of the screen. Shaun and I exchanged glances.

"I hope they get here. Soon." He mumbled as I flipped the channel.

"Me too. I'm going to be honest, I kind of want to chicken out."

"Yeah," a nervous smiled covered his lips, "Don't worry about my parents. They'll be cool about it."

Nodding silently I was starting to feel more relaxed, "What-" I hesitated, "What are we going to do?"

"I was thinking eat dinner and leave." Shaun grinned, then shook out of it. Seriousness took over his face, "I figured you'd stay here, and I'd visit as much as I could."

"Ok." A new air filled the room. I was now realizing how complicated this could become. I wanted to be with him, but I wanted to continue with my career.

"Rodney!" I heard my mom's voice as she opened the door. I turned around as she turned to the kitchen where I heard her drop of some crinkly grocery bags.

Shaun and I stood up, he stayed in place awkwardly as I went to the kitchen. My mother took me into a big hug, I smiled smelling her. I missed my mom--

"Jan?" But I never visit because he'll expect me to talk to him too. "Who's in our living room?"

"Well, I'm not quite sure, but look who came to visit." She grabbed my face and planted a big kiss on my cheek, "So who's in the living room now? Oh never mind, let's just go see!" I chuckled and quieted as we passed my father.

"Shaun," I pointed, "This is my mother."

"Hello Mrs. Stokes."

"It is just Stoke. Rodney added an 's' when she got a career."

"And, uh," my gut churned, "That's my father."

I excused myself and went to the bathroom, this was way too nerve racking. Shaun and I should just have left when we had the chance. Leaning over the sink I splashed some water on my neck and rubbed over my face. Facing myself in the mirror I walked back down the hall and joined the newly formed group.

"Rodney, they want to know if we can stay for dinner." Shaun pressed. I looked between both of my parents and then out the window.

"We'd better go before the weather gets any worse." As if on cue the flickered and then the whole house darkened.

"At least we can still eat dinner!" My mother said excitedly.

"I told you getting that gas stove was the way to go."

Shit. Now we were officially stuck. I couldn't say no to my mother, and well, mother nature. Pulling Shaun by the hand I led him to where we kept the candles.

"I'm sorry." I started picking out candles with shaky hands, "This is going badly already."

"Relax!" He took my face and put his forehead to mine, "I didn't think you'd ever get this way. Chill."

"It is just my dad-- He's… just--" Shaun's gaze was tower down on me, I straightened my posture when I realized I was slouching so badly. "Never mind." I continued to grab candles and the moment passed.

We distributed and lit the candles around the house. When we finished both of us went to the kitchen to help mom. It was cute to see him cook, especially when we only had a stove and sink. Then there was the fact that he admitted he had no clue what he was doing. It was all starting to look up, until we sat down for dinner. The weather hadn't settled and the power still wasn't on.

"I think you two should spend the night." My mom suggested when she finished serving all of us. We started eating without answering her.

"Did you know that Rodney used to ski?"

"I didn't, sir." Things I didn't want people to associate me with, and here it is.

"Oh yeah, and she used to be a hell of a Lacrosse player. She got a scholarship but decided to wast--"

I slammed down my fork, trying not fume or speak harshly I gulped down some water. Across the table my mom cringed.

"So, how did you get such a catch?" This time my dad decided to talk directly at me.

"Excuse me?" I inquired half politely.

"How did you and Shaun start dating?"

"I met her at a photo shoot." Shaun answered for me.

"And now I'm pregnant." Something in me just shook at the approval on his face. I needed to wipe that smug look off of it.

"What?" My dad's facial expression was clearly seen even with just the illumination from the flames.

"I thought you were the one who told me to do all or nothing." Excusing myself I went to the kitchen to clear off my plate.

"I'll get the rooms ready." She came into the kitchen with her plate too, leaving shortly after.

Shaun came into the kitchen once my mom left, we exchanged glances and he let out a snicker. I felt a little bit of pride for just saying it, but I couldn't let that much emotion show right now. I was scared other things would come out with it. My mom showed us to our separate rooms once she had 'fluffed' everything. Of course, I got my old room and Shaun had the guest room across the hall.

There were ten seconds when my phone worked. That's when my day got even worse. Sarah called to say everybody at work found out and were talking. I waited until my parents had gone to bed (their room was on the other side of the house) until I went to his room. Cracking the door open I saw him sitting on the bed with the light of his cell phone glowing.

"Rod?" He hopped out of bed and greeted me at the door.

I didn't say anything instead, I kissed him deeply.

"Hey," Shaun stopped kissing me and took me into a hug instead, "What's up?"

"I don't want to stay here. I want to come with you."

"This is a little unexpected."

"I'm due in February. I can just have the baby in Russia." I felt like I was starting to beg when I saw his face falter.

"In Russia… I don't think I'd trust them," Shaun chuckled, "They might have some weird communism rule about it. Plus, the press and isn't there something about you not traveling after a certain time?"

"So? I don't want to be here, everyone is already talking about it at work. And I mean my parents don't even accept me."

Suddenly, I realized how needy I was becoming. This wasn't the Rodney that anybody liked, this was the Rodney I grew out of when I left the house. Swallowing my embarrassment, I turned to the door.

"Never mind."

"No, no, no. Come back here," He slung me over his shoulder and then set me on the bed. "I've heard that before." I nodded and then cuddled into his chest as laid down next to me.

"My dad… I have to tell you this whole baby thing is a fluke really," Shaun kissed my forehead, while I breathed deeply. "I was close to him growing up, he was the reason why I was in sports. It was my first year of college when I met a boy. It was just a fling, I was more fascinated with his art. When I came home I was a different person. I didn't want to be the hottie on the team. I chopped off all of my hair, dyed it red, and changed my major. I decided to quit the team and lost the scholarship. He didn't like any of it, he refused to accept me and it broke me up. My own father… He said I could have been both if I wanted."

"Shh…" Shaun cooed.

"I've never told anyone that." Drying the corner of my eye, I felt relieved. I never told anyone because no one needed to know, no one ever met my parents after high school. After I had a falling out with my dad.

Leaning in closer I rested my head on his chest, the steady, slow sound of his heart comforted me. The rain started beating against the window harder, downing out the once calm sound of the crickets. Around midnight I finally dozed off to Shaun mumbling one last phrase outloud:

"I love you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late update, it was finals week and then the first week of the new quarter. So aka crazy-- ness!

We'll get a Shaun 'confession' soon :D

comment and what-have-you