Sequel: Kiss and Tell

Your Love is my Drug

Twenty Five

I sat on the couch, eating my popcorn and waiting for Jon to get home. The Blackhawks had won the game and yet again, on Coaches Corner, Don Cherry was talking about how big of a prospect for they were for the cup.
The playoffs were now going to begin and honestly, I could smell the champagne that would be poured into Lord Stanley. The thought of that team, one that strongly deserved to win, kissing that shining legend made me want to cry. It sent shivers down my arms.

I sighed, popping a piece of popcorn in my mouth and chewing on it, listening to the speculation on Patrick Kane’s last few scoreless games. Dry spells are Dry spells, but somehow and someway, that guy was one to come out a hero- every time. Just when they need it.

The door open, the bag was dropped, the fridge was opened and the boy was in front of me. He smiled, a genuine smile, like he always did when they won. I gave him a fist bump as he sat down, silently telling him that he had played a great game.

“Ready for the playoffs?” I asked, sliding the popcorn over to him.

He reached in and rewarded himself, “Yea. I’m feeling good about it.”

I nodded, sipping my peach juice, “Me too. I think it’s your year, Jonny.”

He frowned, stopping mid-chew, “Don’t jinx it.”

I laughed, finishing off my juice and watching the replays of the game. His eyes shifted toward the TV and grimaced when his shot hit the post. I smiled, changing the channel, which earned me a smile of gratitude. It was quickly replaced by a serious one.

“It sucks that you’re not going to be here to watch any of it.”

I gave a sad smile, “I know.”

He sighed, putting the popcorn on the table, “Are you all packed yet?”

I thought about the many suitcases I’d picked up and packed just that afternoon. It’d been bittersweet. On one hand, I was happy to start a new beginning and move on from this huge dilemma but on the other, it physically shattered my heart to leave this city, this life and these people behind.

“Yea,” I pouted, “I’ll be good to go tomorrow, my flight back home leaves at 9 PM.”

He stuck out his bottom lip as well, reaching over to pat my knee, “I don’t know if I can go on without you, kid.”

I smiled and leaned forward to firmly wrap my arms around him, squeezing as tightly as possible. He was my best friend and no matter how far away he was, or where in the world he was, or how long it took to see each other again, he was going to be my best friend. Through it all, he would be that guy that I could run to if I needed it.

He sighed, kissing my head, “I expect visits, and phone calls... and you’re coming to some playoff games.”

I laughed, “Of course.”

“Are the guys coming to the airport, or no?”

He patted my shoulder lightly, my head still on his shoulder, and shrugged, “I don’t know, we’ll see. We have morning practice, but I’m not going to go. I’ll be there.”

I sighed, well, that was the best it was going to get. I guess leaving was my choice and I couldn’t expect them to stop their hectic schedules to say goodbye. After all, it wasn’t forever was it? I’d see them again and this WAS my doing... my choice. I was leaving.

Silently, I turned my head into his chest and let out a mumbled, “I don’t want to say good bye.”
♠ ♠ ♠
ONE MORE CHAPTER!!! :(
love you guys, seriously. I'mma go with 9+ on this one!
love you xoxo.