Sequel: Vengeful and Accused
Status: Writing

Taken and Misused.

An Invite.

[Vaughn’s Point Of View]

My hands wouldn’t stop shaking. The tremors moved down my arms and sent my fingers into hysterics.

Breathing. I had to focus on the oxygen coming into my lungs and the carbon dioxide leaving them.

One breath in, one breath out.

Anything to get my mind to stop thinking about just how close I’d just tangoed with death, I don’t even think the tango could define just about how intimate me and death had almost gotten back in that room.

I paced up and down the street they had dropped me off on, moments ago I thought I was going to die. I had known it; the feeling in the room the moment that hood had come off. The way everyone in that room had looked at me as if I were a man about to be hanged. Like there was a counter ticking off the numbers until they reached zero and I was killed. My hands started shaking again and I had to take deep breaths to calm myself down. There was really no reason to panic, I thought over and over again.

But it wasn’t true.

All I did was buy time with empty promises, promises I couldn’t make in my dizziest day dreams. I muttered a curse word and slumped into a sitting position on the curb. My breath slipped out in a shaky sigh as I clutched my head in my hands, balancing my elbows on my knees. My eyes closed and my thoughts drifted.

“I wish things were different, you know, I really thought you were a wonderful driver Vaughn” the black market boss said, sounding remorseful. He walked around the large oak desk he was sitting behind and leaned against the front of it. My hands strained against the plastic zip ties wound around them but I didn’t think they’d take them off if I just asked.

“You know my name but I have no clue what yours is” I shot at him, I felt a blow on the back of my head and I was forced down onto my knees. My head was still ringing when a menacing voice snarled in my ear.

“You will not speak to him in such a tone”, I stayed slumped on the floor after the warning, not responding when the man who I assumed had hit me in the head chuckled like what he had done was funny.

“You’re right Vaughn, our relationship seems to be only one sided. I know almost everything about you, but you know nothing about myself. Let’s start with my name, I am Semyon Ivanov” the black market boss said, smiling at me when I raised my gaze to his. Ivanov? Why did that ring a bell? My eyes widened slightly and I took the time to look at Semyon. He and Stephen did look the same; same bone structure even though I was sure this man had about 25 more years under his belt opposed to Stephen. The gray hair led me to that conclusion very quickly. He grinned, understanding my sudden shock rather quickly.

“I assume you know my son?” Semyon asked but he didn’t wait for me to answer. “I hope you weren’t friends…” he continued, it sounded like a question so I answered it.

“Don’t worry, were not” I muttered, looking away from him. I didn’t catch the grin that had suddenly erupted over his lips, or the small notion that was an obvious signal because one of the men nodded and left the room without another word. I watched him go then looked back at Semyon. He sighed and turned away from me.

“I really wanted this deal to work out, I supply you with the parts you need to win and you and your team give me your winnings. You get fame, I get fortune” he said, again with that mockingly remorseful tone. “But it seems I put my trust in the wrong people, you betrayed me and-“ I cut him off.

“It was a mistake, one little mistake, we can fix it. We’ll take on more races and we’ll have the money for you in no time flat” I said, this time the man standing behind me knelt down to where I sat on my knees and sent his fist into my stomach. I doubled over, gasping against the pain and trying to pull air into my lungs. I coughed; my forehead rested on the soft carpet of the floor until I was pulled upright by my shirt collar. I groaned against the pain, my fists clenching, sending my finger nails into the soft skin of my palms to keep myself from making any more sounds of pain.

“Don’t. Interrupt. Him.” The same voice from before snarled in my ear.

“You say you can fix it? I don’t accepting ‘fixing things’ I accept things being done right the first time” Semyon said, his tone even and unemotional as he poured a glass of whiskey. “But perhaps I am being a bit rash” he mused, but I kept my hope from showing on my face. “ Perhaps I should bring the one who actually made the deal in here, Marco, it seems only fair” the fact that Semyon’s voice was amused made me want to tear his face off. He was having fun messing with my family, my life.

“I take full responsibility for Marco’s actions, any problem you have with anyone in my team is a problem you have with me so leave them out of it” I said, fighting to keep my voice from sounding threatening or angry. I could only pray they would leave them alone, I couldn’t bear to know they were dead. I was trying to protect them in the only way I knew how to in this moment.

My statement seemed to surprise Semyon, but a smile still hung onto his lips. “How noble, do you know what you’re taking blame for?” once more I didn’t have the chance to answer. “You’re saying it’s your fault one of my cars was lost, that it’s your fault I was not paid my money this month, and that it’s your fault this deal went bad?”

“Yes” the one word took so much to say, in that moment I realized how much I didn’t want to die. How much I didn’t want to lose Darik, Nathaniel, Marcus, or Elisabeth. My thoughts hung on her for a moment. I hadn’t seen her in three days, three days I should’ve spent with her, no matter how selfish it would have been on my part. I suddenly regretted not telling her how I felt; even though I knew the feeling wasn’t mutual.

“That’s very noble of you” Semyon said, but I couldn’t find the words to reply. Another nod from Semyon and I was yanked to my feet, suddenly an idea popped into my head.

“Wait, I have a deal for you” I said, nearly pleading with him.

“Hold on a moment” Semyon said to the man pulling me, I was turned to face Semyon once more. “What is this deal you speak of?”

“I can make you double what I owe you” I said, scrambling to figure out a good enough reason to support my claim.

“And how would you do that?” Semyon asked the amusement back in his voice.

“Racing” I answered, shrugging my shoulders. Semyon found that funny enough that he laughed, but it was a menacing sound that crept around the room like ice coming to suck the life out of everything.

“Because racing worked so well the first time” he said, crossing his arms and grinning at me.

“If I can’t make you double the money in one month you’re welcome to kill me. But kill me now and you get no profit at all” I said, raising an eyebrow at him. If I survived through this I’d have to give myself a serious pat on the shoulder for coming up with this on the spot.

My statement did make Semyon think, he stared at me for a long moment with his arms still crossed but his expression was serious once more. “And how do I know you won’t make a run for it the moment you leave here?”

“Do you really think I can get away from you?” I asked, trying to play on the man’s ego.

“It is very unlikely” he said with a chuckle, as if even the thought was ludicrous.

“Then let me make you money” I said, keeping my tone serious as well as the rest of my expression.

Another five minutes passed while Semyon sat in thought , “you have a deal” he said.

“Sir, you can’t possibly think he’s telling the truth?” the man behind me questioned.

Semyon just grinned at him, “he is right, there is no point in killing him now.” That ‘now’ word sat in my stomach like a lead brick. I wasn’t completely off the hook. “Un bind him, I don’t want my new business partner to feel unwelcome here” Semyon added, pouring another glass of whiskey and handing it to me. I took it once the man behind me clipped the zip ties around my wrists. “Why don’t you come to my gala even tomorrow night? It is in honor of my new partnership with Rancor industries” Semyon offered. It sounded friendly but I knew two things about his offer. One: I couldn’t refuse it, and two: going would probably be bad for my health. He sensed my indecision and grinned at me, like a cat who had just gotten it’s fill of milk but wanted more. In this case, my misery seemed to be the milk. “I sense that you do not want to attend. That is very saddening” he said, a mocking sigh leaving his lips. “Perhaps your friend Elisabeth wouldn’t mind coming in your place?” he pondered, twirling his whiskey glass between his fingers. The fact that this man had kept such good tabs on me to know Elisabeth made my breath stop for a moment. “Her and Stephen attend the same dance class, I’m sure I could convince him to invite her” he said, shrugging his shoulders once more as I fought to control the sudden rage that had swam up inside of me.

“On second thought, I’d love to come” I said through clenched teeth.

“Wonderful, perhaps you should take Elisabeth along regardless? It is a formal event and you will need a date” he suggested, sounding like the innocent man he was absolutely not. He was a snake, an evil snake in the grass waiting to attack.

“I’m not sure-”

“Nonsense” he said, cutting me off again. “ I will see you and Elisabeth tomorrow, Isaac?” he said, speaking the first part to me then looking over my shoulder at the man behind me. “Make sure he gets the information about the location and time, but don’t worry Vaughn, we’ll make sure you don’t get lost” Semyon assured me.


My translation of that: we’ll make sure you don’t try to run away.

I snapped out of my thoughts as a large truck went down the street, my head jerked out of my hands as my eyes followed the truck go down the street. I stood up and began to walk towards my home. When I got there I noticed a black car sitting across the street, much too fancy to belong to anyone who lived here. That’s when I knew it was Semyon’s men in there, making sure I didn’t pull any stunts.

I slipped inside my home and locked the door behind me, Glory rushed up to greet me but I ignored him. I had to go confront the man I knew wanted to kill me in less than a day or I’d have to leave tonight and risk leaving Elisabeth to their mercy. I clenched my hand into a fist and pounded the wall next to my door, trying to pretend it was Semyon’s face instead. I couldn’t leave her, I couldn’t uproot her from her life, and the cops were probably full of police officers being bribed by Semyon to work for him rather than New York.

There was nothing I could do except do what Semyon said.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really like this chapter, just sayin'

Semyon: [x]
(Check out the character page for a list of all of the characters)

And thank you to everyone who commented. A lady and love, your comment was very appreciated. It made me finish this chapter up so I could post it :)

So comment and subscribe and the next chapter will be out soon.