Status: UNDER CONSTRUCTION- I'm rewriting this entire thing. No peeking!!

Monroeville Academy

It can't be outmatched and it can't be outrun.

The twins don’t say a word as they step out the door and examine the expansive campus, but I can see they’re impressed through their eyes. As I look around, despite the fact I’ve been here for three years, I have to admit that I’m impressed too. All of the buildings are cream-colored brick, with dark wood beams and shuttered windows, except for a modern addition made of white concrete and grey steel. An old-fashioned brick plaza is surrounded with the main office building and three multiple-story buildings, and several winding paths lead to other, smaller buildings. It’s almost like a college campus, now that I consider it.
“Nice,” Scarlett mumbles under her breath, a smile spreading across her face. “Oh, nice. I think I’ll come to enjoy it here.”
Dante elbows her lightly but smiles as well. “Agreed.”
“Alright. You guys are probably gonna need a map but whatever, those are useless anyway. Obviously,” I point behind me, “that building is the main office. Staff, administration, you know. That one,” I nod towards a building directly to our left, “is the math and sciences building. The name says it all; that’s where all the math and science classes are.”
“Easy enough,” Scarlett shrugs.
“The one to the right,” I point, “has all the English and social studies classrooms, along with the art room and the ceramics lab. Then the one straight across from us has choir, band, orchestra, and the theatre.”
“And the paths?” Dante asks.
“Go to the dorms, boys to the left and girls to the right, then the paths in between go to smaller classrooms. All the ones they thought of last minute. That giant concrete monstrosity is the gym and locker rooms, and you guys probably saw all the sports fields when you were getting here.”
“We guessed,” they nod.
“Good,” I smile. “See, it’s not that bad. One second.” I cup my hands around my mouth as rivers of students pour out from the buildings and a wave of noise rises up to us. “HEY CHRIS!!”
A blonde haired teen looks up at me and separates from the crowd, skidding to a stop in front of us. “You called?” His shaggy hair falls in layers in front of his bright green eyes, and a crooked smile makes its way onto his face.
“Scooby, this is Dante and Scarlett. I hope you’re smart enough to realize they’re new. Where’s Nettie?”
“She’ll kick your ass if she hears you calling her Nettie,” Chris grins, then nods to Dante and Scarlett. “New kids. Nice. Where’d you transfer from?”
They glance at each other. “Pacifica,” Dante finally answers after a pause.
“California.” Chris nods. “Impressive.” I notice him taking a step towards Scarlett and I resist the urge to roll my eyes. At least let the girl get used to the school.
“Chris, do something while you’re doing nothing and show Dante his classes and dorm, kay?” I smile innocently as he attempts to elbow me in the ribs, but I quickly sidestep it. “Nothing stupid.”
“Fine,” he glares. “Come on, man, classes have just ended so it’s kinda crazy…” His insanely loud voice begins to fade as he and Dante walk away.
I blow my bangs out of my face. “God, he’s an idiot.”
Scarlett laughs quietly, pulling the dark red elastic out of her hair and shaking it out, the waves falling to the middle of her back. “Wait until you have a serious conversation with my brother. That’s a whole new definition of ‘idiot.’”
I laugh and glance at the papers in her hand. “Dorm room…” I tilt my head to the side. “422B. Oh cool! You’re my neighbor!”
She looks and nods. “Awesome,” she smiles, retying her hair and rearranging her bangs in front of her left eye.
“Let’s go.” I pull my socks up to my knees and start down the twisting path, saying hi to all the people I’ve been here with since 6th grade.

Scarlett.

After Melody points out the general direction of all my classes and shows me my dorm room, separated from hers by a huge bathroom, I close and lock both doors, then examine the uniform laid out on the bed. It’s not too bad; a crisp long-sleeved white shirt with a sleek black tuxedo vest, along with a pleated black knee-length skirt and a cardinal red skinny tie. No shoes, but the school rules say they have to be red, black, or white. Easy enough, I think to myself as I kick off my black Vans and change into the uniform. I slide open the dark wood doors of my closet, filled with skirt after shirt after vest after tie… How incredibly boring. Glancing in my copy of the school rules, we’re allowed casual dress on Saturdays and Sundays; not too bad.
A knock comes from the bathroom door. “Scarlett?”
“You can just call me Scar,” I respond. “What’s up?”
“Dinner’s in a couple minutes and its assembly on Mondays and Fridays, so we all have to be there.”
“Oh how fun,” I sigh. “I’ll be right there.”

~~~~~

“Party this weekend!” Chris crows after the headmaster finishes his incredibly monotone assembly speech. The dining hall is filled with 8-seater round tables, and the food choices range from a salad bar to a make-as-you-order pizza bar. “We’re going, right?”
“Chris. It’s the winter party. Of course we are,” Annette grins. Her hair is dyed a bright vibrant orange with emo fringe over dark green eyes. “Since when have we ever turned down booze?”
“And sex,” Chris smirks, waving his eyebrows. “You can’t forget the sex.”
“Chris, please.” Melody shakes her head. “You’re the horniest guy I know.”
“And proud of it,” he winks, and I try to ignore his foot casually bumping into mine.
“Is anyone going to explain this mysterious party?” Dante cuts in, and I play with the food on my plate. Parties. Full of people. Full of people who are full of blood. No thank you.
“The upperclassmen party,” Annette explains. “The school usually ignores it as long as no one gets too smashed. Juniors and seniors only, because the last time someone brought a frosh…”
“That was a disaster, to say the least,” Chris says bluntly.
“What do you think? You should come,” Melody smiles. “Last semester’s was kickass. And this is the last one that the seniors will ever have here so it’s bound to be amazing.”
“Yeah, why not,” Dante shrugs. “Scar?”
I shrug. “I don’t know… I’m not good with parties…”
“Oh come on!” Chris frowns.
“You really should,” Annette shrugs.
“I’ll think about it,” I say firmly. “Like I said, I’m not good with parties.”
You’re just not good with people.
Stay out of my head, Dante.
I kick him under the table and he rolls his eyes.
I’m just being honest. You need to learn to control this and be around people.
Who was asking you?
I kick him again.
He curses under his breath and glares at me; luckily, the others are preoccupied with a heated discussion over the details of the party.
“Dude! They’re gonna make the fucking Skip-And-Go-Naked again!” Chris cheers, looking at his phone. “Success!”
“You don’t want to know,” Melody shakes her head.
A chill runs down my spine and dark spots swim at the edge of my vision as a voice fills me with dread, the cold words echoing in my ears.

Parties are good for you, sweetheart. You should go. Who knows? The past has a way of catching up with you.
♠ ♠ ♠
You know, I really should be working on Hearts & Spades. I promised Bryony.
Ah well. I'll update tomorrow.
DID YOU KNOW that during the Enlightenment there was a book where the characters did nothing but have furious sex? :D I love my Modern World class...

Comment and you'll get hugs!!