Standing Alone

Make Over!

I sat silently as the girl dyed my hair black. I had liked her hair colours, and asked her to do the dame, except, instead of pink, I asked her to use light blue. She happily obliged and got to work right away. She washed my hair thoroughly first, then started to mix the liquids. She grabbed some tinfoil before starting the process of foiling my hair.

After around half an hour she had finished with the foiling process, and after another thirty minutes, my hair was ready to have the foils taken out. Dying my hair black was done, now she had to dye parts blue. After another hour my hair dying was done. All she had to do now was even out my hair. I was starting to get bored so I tried to start up a chat, like I had ten times before and failing miserably.

“So... What’s your name?” I asked shyly. I was never shy, so this was all definitely new to me. She sighed as she cut my hair.

“It’s Josephine. Josephine Jeremiah, JJ for short.” I laughed a bit.

“Nice.” I said enthusiastically. In the mirror I could see her smiling. I sat in my chair silently watching her cut parts of my hair away. My hair was starting to look better by the minute.

“So why do you work here?” I was honestly interested.

“I need the money to stay in school Lynn. My parents hardly support me, so what else am I going to do?” I was startled that she said she went to school.

“What school do you go to?”

“West Park Academy...” My eyes widened at that. She went to the same one.

“That’s where I go. Why haven’t I seen you before?” I asked, hoping she didn’t recognise me.

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen you before either. How long have you been going there?”

“Since I started high school, I’m a junior this year.” I explained.

“I see so am I? Maybe we just have different classes.” I nodded in agreement. “Which classes are you in?”

“I’m in all AP classes, except in History. I don’t know why, but that class is so boring! I always fall asleep...” I exclaimed sighing. She had finished cutting my hair but we kept on with our chat.

“Same! Except History is my best class. So why haven’t I seen you before? Who do you hang out with?”

“I used to hang out with Jackson, Jessica and the rest of the Populars. But now I don’t. We had a falling out.” I slowly said, wondering if she would notice that it was me.

“Oh. But no one has fallen out with the populars. They’ve been as tight as glue since Lynn-” She stopped, with a loss of words. She looked at me closely, examining me. Suddenly her eyes widened. “Lynn!” I smiled a bit, happy she didn’t yell it out.

“Yes, I’m Lynn. Please, please don’t tell anyone!” I basically went down onto my knees and begged her. She gave me a confused look.

“Why? Wouldn’t you want to tell everyone?”

“NO! You don’t know what they did to me, they will ruin my life. No, they HAVE ruined my life. Just please don’t tell anyone. I’m on a makeover day today. I’m trying to change.” I begged more. She sighed and nodded. Something gleamed in her eyes, something like excitement.

“Can I help? You want to change right? So let me help, we are totally different. I can help you change styles.” She was jumping out of her shoes. I grinned and nodded. We got up from where we sat, and I went to pay. She gave me a discount and then checked out of her shift.

Soon enough we were walking in and out of stores with new clothes; dark clothes and colourful clothes. Nothing ugly, but everything hot. Everything we bought had to do with punk, emo and Goth. We even bought her some clothes. Nothing loose! Soon we had too many bags to carry, and we gave up on the shopping. We sat down at a coffee shop, resting our arms and legs. (And wallets) I went through my bag, and found my book and pen. I opened it up and looked over the list, ready to check things I had finished.
(Page)

List of Things to Do, to Change Myself
1. Dye my hair any colour ◊
2. Re-style my hair, even though it’s been “cut” already, (fix it) ◊
3. Get a whole new wardrobe ◊
4. Change my attitude!
5. Get new contact lenses
6. Get a tattoo to state a new me
7. Get everything I think that is needed.
8. Start to hang out with other people! ◊
9. Become a different me, but still be me.
10. DO EVERYTHING ON THE LIST!

“What are you doing?” JJ asked me. She looked over my shoulder to see what was in my book. “A to-do list... Why do you have such a thing?”

“I need it to help me change. This is everything I need to do. I will do it, ALL today.” I explained. She nodded as if she understood.

“What are these diamond things next to some of them?” She looked confused.

“Those mark the ones I have done.” Her eyes still held confusion.

“Why not use ticks instead of diamonds? It’s the natural thing to do!”

“Well I guess I’m not natural!” I laughed. She grinned and nodded.

“So you have done number 8?” I nodded, “Who did you start talking to?”

“You Josephine” I said smiling. She started to grin like a maniac.

“Hand me your book and pen for a moment will you?” I handed them over. She quickly marked something before handing them back I looked over the list again. She had marked numbers 4 and 9 as finished. I cocked my head. “The old Lynn wasn’t always smiley and giggly, she used to be stuck up and always mean.” I gasped.

“I wasn’t really stuck up was I?” She nodded. I groaned and banged my head against the table a few times. “We better go; I still have things to do!” We got up and grabbed the bags. We started to walk toward the tattoo shop.

“Hey... What should I get?” I was worried about getting something that would turn out horribly wrong.

“How about... A set of swirls; two entwining down your back, and two each circling your arms up to your knuckles. On top of your hands you could have the words “Fight” and “Fury”.” She suggested shrugging a bit.

“Yeah! That’s such a good idea! Why didn’t I think about that?” I exclaimed jumping up and down which was hard since the bags were so heavy, and was holding me down.

“Because you’re not the one with the tattoo already on you; see.” She stuck out her arms, making my eyes widen.

“So you want me to have the same tattoo!? Really?” She nodded, “Yay! Even though I hardly know you...” I grinned and sort of hugged her. “Thank You.” We smiled at each other before walking into the tattoo shop, grinning like the awesome idiots we were. We both went up to the counter to book the appointment. Once done, we sat down waiting for my turn to come up.

“So which of you two lovely ladies is the one getting her tattoo done today?” A guy around 19 or 20 came out, asking us. I stood up, with JJ standing soon after.

“I am, but the tattoo I want is on her. We want the same one.” I explained to him. The guy had a lovely set of silver eyes, and dirty blonde hair. He was quite tall and well built. Not too big but not too small. He nodded, walking out of the room down the hall and towards a large room. Josephine and I looked at each other for a moment before I silently squealing and following him to the room, where I would get my tattoo. I grinned to myself as we entered the room. I was really changing...