Status: Finished

Wanna Live It Up Just Because

Chapter 12

Arpeggio looked up, meeting Jack's eyes. She smiled at him. By now, she figured that he wasn't just using her to get a rise out her sister. He talked to her when her sister wasn't around or was too occupied to notice.

"You want to go get something to eat with me real quick?" he nodded to the McDonald's across from the venue.

The only thing separating the golden arches from them was the two lane road. The venture wouldn't be dangerous in the least.

Arpeggio had never eaten at McDonald's. She knew what she could eat there; the doctors had been very clear to tell her what she could and couldn't eat at fast food restaurants when the band started touring. But no one in the band would ever allow her to eat at one.

Arpeggio motioned to where the interviewer and camera man were sitting. Jack had an interview in thirty minutes; she didn't want him to be late.

"They can start without me," Jack answered.

She pointed to Neon, who was still deep in conversation. Neon wouldn't let her go if she asked, not only because it was a fast food place but because Jack would be taking her there.

Though, Arpeggio saw nothing wrong with Jack. In the few times she had talked to him, she found his company enjoyable.

"We won't tell her," Jack smirked.

Arpeggio bit her lip, looking at her older sister. How much trouble would she be in if she wasn't back by the time Neon was finished talking? Then again, Neon could talk for hours.

"So do you want to go with me?" Jack asked, drawing the young girl's attention back to him.

"Okay," she answered in her normal, low voice.

Jack smiled. He wasn't expecting her to say yes. He was expecting her to deny him the privilege of eating a quick lunch with her. Neon had a major hand in what Arpeggio did, Jack could see that, and Arpeggio normally did what she was told.

Looks like he found a little rebel in her.

"Let's go," he said, walking in the direction of the fast food establishment.

Arpeggio fell instep with Jack, saying nothing as they walked to the deserted two-lane street. Jack stopped walking before they crossed; Arpeggio sent a questioning gaze to him, stopping before taking a step onto the road.

"You need to hold my hand so you can cross the street, cutie," Jack stated.

He almost felt bad for telling her what she needed to do. There were enough people in her life doing that; she didn't need him to be doing it too. But he couldn't resist. He just hoped she would realize that and not get mad.

The flush on her cheeks proved that he shouldn't be worried about angering her.

Jack held out his hand and Arpeggio took it, her flush becoming a deeper red. Arpeggio couldn't control her heart beat. She could feel it speeding up at Jack's touch. Her stomach churned as their fingers laced.

Should she ask Neon about what was happening to her? She didn't know if she should be worried. Jack made her go through hypoglycemic symptoms, though they didn't feel exactly like the symptoms she was used to. It wouldn't be logical to say she was allergic to him. He was sweet to her, yes, but that didn't mean he had sugar seeping from his skin.

If she were years younger, she may have been naïve enough to believe that. As it was, she was seventeen; she knew there was more to this than diabetes, as hard as it was for her to see past it. She just didn't know what else it could be.

Jack lightly tugged her hand, leading her across the empty street. Arpeggio glanced behind her at the group of band members standing idle. Neon was still talking with the rest of RxN. As long as she didn't realize it was time for Arpeggio to eat, Arpeggio would be in the clear.

That was wishful hoping.

The bell chimed as the pair walked into McDonald's. It was empty, no people sat in the booths talking, no little kids ran in the play area. Arpeggio was slightly disappointed at that. This was her first time being in a fast food restaurant that she could remember, she wanted to see the excitement on the little kids' faces as they ran around and ate their happy meals; she wanted to see the adults gossiping in the booths.

She wanted the full experience. She would probably never get the chance to step foot in a fast food establishment again, she wanted an experience to remember.

Then again, she was with Jack. That was an experience enough. Not to mention he still hadn't let go of her hand.

"What do you want to eat?" Jack asked her while they walked up to the counter.

"Do they have a grilled chicken sandwich?" she asked him.

Jack was slightly taken aback. Didn't she know what they had a McDonald's? Every teenager had been there at least once in their life, right?

"Haven't you been to McDonald's before?" he asked.

She shook her head.

"Why not?"

"I'm diabetic," she answered, as if it were obvious.

"What does that have to do with fast food?"

"The starches and sugars cause my blood sugar to rise. And too many carbohydrates cause it to rise too. There aren't many options for me to eat so Neon just doesn't take me to fast food places. She doesn't want to risk me going to the hospital."

Jack felt a bit like an ignorant asshole for taking her to McDonald's. He knew nothing about diabetes.

It was safe to say that he would be doing research when he got back to the hotel.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know that," Jack mumbled.

"It's fine. I've always wanted to go to McDonald's."

She always said she wanted to go at least once in her life, even if she had to sneak away from Neon to do it.

Jack laughed, "You know, most kids say they want to go to Disney World."

"Well, I've been there. It's not half as exciting as being here."

She seemed so serious. Jack was going to laugh again but he realized she wasn't acting. All she wanted to do was be normal.

"Okay so a grilled chicken sandwich?" he asked.

She nodded.

"Fries have starch, so you can't have those," he said to himself, "Do you want something to drink?"

"I can have a few fries and water would be great," she answered.

"You can have some of mine. Go sit, I'll order and pay," he instructed.

She opened her mouth to tell him otherwise. She had money, she could pay for herself. He covered her open mouth with his hand and motioned for her to sit in a nearby booth. She obeyed.

Jack watched her while he ordered. She was so adorable, the way her eyes lit up while she scanned the fast food place. It was like a kid in a candy store. He just wanted to walk over and ravish her with kisses.

That probably wouldn't go down well though.

He would have to take this one step at a time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to toodaloobaby, mama-val, Shimmy, musicxloverx2, kycoolgirl-loves-a7x, DestructionOfAStatue (commented three times), violeteyes, samsstoryaccount, MissTina170, Myssa is stellar, Jalex Barakarth, and Radio:NIKKI.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
Yeah, the way Arpeggio tried to kill herself is different than in most fanfictions.
But it's one of those attempts that typically doesn't work.
Plus it gave an explaination as to why she still talks low.
Why Neon hates All Time Low shall be explained sooner or later.
I still have to find a way to put that in a chapter.
Let's just say "insanity" kind of runs in the Lowry family blood line and the boys of ATL had a hand in Neon's problems.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste