Status: Finished (:

Impact

Chapter 31: Riley

It was a funny thing, death. One moment you could be breathing to your fullest potential, and the next you would be gone. Gone somewhere no one really knows about.

I didn’t do anything wrong – I crossed the street. No jaywalking, or anything. The beat up Honda was unexpected. I was a deer caught in the headlights.

I wish I could tell you what happened those long and painful nanoseconds. I don’t remember the impact. I can’t recollect the driver zooming past my lifeless body in drunken panic.

I do remember the flash – stories said it would be white, but mine was red. Red like blood.

And what I saw – it hurt. It pushed me to live – I tried. I really did.

Lindy’s face – she was beautiful, as always. I always thought that was the perfect word to describe her. Beautiful. Next to her was everyone else; Asher, Aimee, Mom. The memories rushed at me like a river – it frightened me.

I pushed it away – I was so happy alive. How was I supposed to marry Lindy? Support my mother? Find my biological father someday? Throw Asher a bachelor party?

Yet still, the red color overtook me. Until everything was darkened. And I knew right then that I was nonexistent – a mere lifeless body.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's the end of that.
I know it's a little short. It's not my best work.
But I'm working toward it.

Also, the background message is: Drunk driving KILLS. So please, be safe <3. No one deserves this pain.