Exhale

One

“How mad do you think your dad will get?” Garrett questioned. The Ray Ban sunglasses rested on the bridge of his nose, his dark eyebrows almost hidden. “Holly?” His attention went from the road to his best friend. Her elbows were resting against the door’s vinyl armrest; dark hair was half pulled back in a makeshift bun and the rest falling out, framing her light complexion. His plaid shirt was wrapped around her, covering a small tank top. Obviously, she was deep in thought, her eyes staring out into the vast Arizona landscape. “Holly?” He spoke again, trying to capture his friend’s attention. Her fingers were in her mouth, the white teeth pulling at the edges of her small fingernails. The southwestern scenery whipped by, it streaking in its frame. “Holly?” He spoke louder, competing with the car’s sound system. Her head bounced around, the hand dropping from her mouth.

“What?” Her voice was huskier than normal. The strands of hair hanging in her face were brushed out of the way, in order for her to see him.

“I said do you think your dad will be mad?” A toothy grin appeared on his face. One hand stayed on the wheel, the other resting upon the seat’s attached rest, the leather causing his arm to stick to it. He busied his fingers with the cord that brought power to his phone; he wrapped it around his finger until it became taut than he let go, only to start again.

“Yeah. He definitely will be Gar.” She replied, her attention turning back towards the open road.

His parents’ Subaru was a mess. Her Vitamin Water bottles and his Dr. Pepper cans rolled around on the floor under her feet. Cables and wires, attaching from the dashboard to random pieces of technology, were everywhere. Even their lunch’s remains, consisting of McDonald’s two biggest sandwiches, were carelessly tossed about inside the small car.

The trip to her hometown was no short trip and this was Garrett’s first time taking it with her. When she told she had to go back for a week for Christmas, he said he’d go to keep her company and help with the drive. It was a 12-hour drive nonstop, and Garrett knew how she hated driving. But that really wasn’t the reason he came, he just couldn’t stay alone in their apartment for a week alone. He adored her in every way a guy should. And he had yet to acquire the bravery to say it to her; to admit the feelings he felt for her where more than amicable. The guys had called him a wimp and a baby on multiple occasions for not admitting it to her sooner, but he was scared. Scared she would run home and never speak to him again. Scared that he was so easy to abandon that she wouldn’t even look back.

The road continued for miles; an exit was here, a sign was there. But really it was empty. Arizona’s vast landscape still captivated him. The beauty in it was unseen by most. Yes, it was a hot desert, but Garrett knew it as more. It was home. It would always be home for him. No place he had visited in his young life would ever equal up to it. It was a warm comfortable bubble for him and no matter how beautiful he found other places in the world this was the place he hoped to spend his entire life in.

Their exit was quickly approaching and Holly didn’t seem to stir. It annoyed Garrett, usually she was a clown in the car, verbally picking on him, screaming along with the songs they listened to, and playing lame road games. But today, she sat quietly, fingernails in her mouth, staring into the horizon. Garrett knew something was up from the moment they woke up this morning. She was incredibly quiet, a very unnatural phenomenon with Holly who usually woke up talking and fell asleep talking.

By the time the green sign appeared with the off-white arrow pointing to the new stretch of highway the small SUV would be traveling, Garrett was frustrated. He wanted to have fun; he wanted her perk up and act like the best friend he had always known. He wanted her to talk, laugh, and sing. He wanted her to act the way he loved so much. He couldn’t drive this whole trip without her entertaining him.

The all-too-familiar sound of her cell phone went off, breaking both of them from their trances. She glanced down and picked up the small device from the cup holder it was sharing with Garrett’s phone and read the message. Her fingers worked their way all over the keyboard, a small smirk settling across her lips. With a snap, she shut the screen and focused her attention back outside.

“Who was that?” Garrett questioned, bored.

Her attention stayed outside. “Kennedy.” She replied quietly.

He frowned, a small pang of jealousy hitting his nerves. “Why do you always answer the Kenny’s texts but never me?”

“What?” She turned her head to face him, the cell phone’s chime going off again.

He smiled. “You never answer my texts. Or if you do it takes you, like, an hour and a half.”

“That’s because your texts are fucking stupid. And you just like to insult me.”

“And Kennedy’s texts are so much nicer.” He mocked sarcastically.

“Actually.” She retorted, opening the phone to read his message. “They are.” Her eyes went from Garrett to the screen again, face illuminated by the light. Her fingers began again, flying across the buttons methodically. Her face contorted into a serious frown, like nothing could stand in her way from answering the texts. “Besides.” She spoke again closing the phone. “I live with you, why would I want to text you.”

“What is he saying anyways?” He snorted.

“Telling me how fucking awesome I am.” She smiled.

He snickered, glancing over at her. “He’s lying; he just wants to get in your pant.” That was Garrett’s line for everything with her. Any opportunity to through the line in and he did.
“It’s those sorts of responses that keep me from answer your texts.” She laughed, rearranging her body to face him, to give him the attention he was dying for. “Your stupid-ass responses are the reason your friends text me more than they text you.”

Garrett’s smile grew, knowing her attention was on him now. The ride became what he had hoped for. Her smile and laugh, everything she was thrown out in the car. For him to enjoy and laugh at. It was paradise, exactly what he wanted to be surrounded with every second of his life. And he was blessed to pretty much have that, she lived with him and toured with his band, making herself accessible for him whenever he needed her.

“So.” She started. Her feet rested on top dashboard, the typically socked appendage enjoying the sunlight seeping through the windshield. “Would you rather be butt-raped by a Beatle or jump in a pool full of giraffe jizz?” Her games were also so lame, but Garrett found them hilarious. Especially this one. He enjoyed her questions and her company.

He laughed at her question. “Butt raped definitely.”

She frowned. “Ew. No. Giraffe jizz.”

He glanced at her. “Why? That’s so much grosser. And I bet any form of contact with a Beatle is amazing.”

She contorted her face into a disgusted frown. “You are so gross.”

He laughed again, watching her go to work on another cuticle by her nail. “You know Holly, you really should quit doing that.” He stated, watching her rip the dried skin from the sides of her nails.

“You know Garrett, if you don’t fucking take your turn I’m gonna drop you in a pool of giraffe jizz.” She replied, ignoring Garrett’s advice.

“Fine.” He replied, resituating his body in the seat of the Subaru. He had done all the driving at this point, his back aching from it. But Garrett ignored it as he continued the game. “Would you rather make out with Kenny or Kenny’s dog?”

She ripped another portion of the skin away, still working in the same spot. “Kenny, hands down.”

“Really?”

“Duh Gar. Kennedy’s hot.” She shrugged.

He contorted his face into the same disgusted frown she had only a few minutes ago. “Kennedy looks like an ape Holly.”

She laughed, it coming out as more of a snort. “Hottest ape I’ve ever seen.”

He frowned again. “I’m telling him you’re saying this.”

“He knows Gar. I told him at one of the first parties you took me to.”

The same frown covered his face as he tried to remember the event. “Which party?” He couldn’t think of the one, they all blurred together at this point.

“The one where I met the guys.”

The event suddenly reappeared in his head, the image of awkward, shy Holly being introduced to his crowd of band mates. She attempted to hid behind Garrett she was so uncomfortable. “When did you tell him that because all I remember is you being ridiculously shy?” He questioned.

She smirked at him. “You went to get us another drink and Kennedy came over and asked how I was and how we met and stuff.”

“And it just slipped that you thought he was hot?” He mocked.

“Yeah.” She spoke. “You know Kenny can be a flirt. He sort of wooed me into saying it.”

“What did Kenny think of that?” Garrett smiled, reliving that epic party in his head.

She smiled too, reaching for her Vitamin Water on the floor. “He told me that was the nicest thing anyone every told him.”

“He was lying.” Garrett started.

“Gar.” She interrupted rolling her eyes. “It’s not that big of a deal.”

He rolled his eyes, taking his attention back on the road, attempting to ignore her comments.

She laughed at him, screwing the bottle’s top off. “Is little Garrett jealous?” She questioned, continuing to lightly laugh at his reaction.

He groaned, fidgeting in his seat. “No.” He mumbled.

He couldn’t lie for shit. Holly could see that he was, and had good reason to be. Kennedy was always close with Holly and the two were always teased about how compatible they were and what a cute couple they would make. But they both denied anything more than friendship; each of them were equally as playful with the other, always poking, teasing, and tickling. And it drove Garrett crazy with jealousy. Jealous that the guys never said those things when he was with Holly. Jealous that the guys would even say those things knowing Garrett’s feelings for the girl.

“Aww.” She cooed, poking him with her toe. “Gary is jealous.”

He continued to drive, attempting to ignore her. Eventually, her feet rested in his lap as she began falling asleep against the passenger’s door. His cell phone rang, the familiar screaming ringtone woke her up from her sleeping state. Garrett quickly grabbed it and flicked it, to silence the ringtone that began to wake her up.

“Hello?” He asked into the speaker, not getting the chance see who it was.

“Have you told her yet?” Pat questioned immediately.

Garrett groaned again, annoyed by the interruption. “No Pat.”

“Nut up Garrett.” He said, before hanging up, leaving Garrett balancing the phone between his hand and ear.

He was thankful for this trip and for the one-on-one time with Holly. Even though they lived together it was so rare that they were alone and had time to hang out. She was always inviting their friends over, to party and hang out. Garrett was always sleeping or playing music. Sometimes they went days without seeing each other. She would be at the apartment, enjoying the silence while he was out with his old high school friends, doing the most ridiculous things.

Garrett sighed, thinking back to then. The time when they were both still so uncomfortable with each other. That time when Holly wouldn’t hold his hand or snuggle up beside him when they sat together. Now it was so different. He couldn’t imagine life any different. Without her warmth and humor, without her feet in his lap right now. He had become so accustom to it, like his whole life was defined by it.

He watched the sunset behind the Rockies. There was only about an hour left before they arrived and Garrett’s feet were tingling from driving so much. Holly was snoring slightly, her head bouncing against the door. She would fidget around in her spot her few minutes, her feet kicking Garrett’s inner thigh. He wasn’t ready for the road trip to be over, to meet her parents again. They met once before when they drove to Denver to see her when his band was on tour. It ended in an extreme argument between the three and Holly spending the night in her bunk with no contact with anyone.

“Holly.” Garrett spoke, tickling the bottom of her feet. “Wake up.”

She moved her arm, attempting to swat his hand away. “Quit it Gar.” She mumbled.

He laughed, continuing to poke at her. The car was parked in a lot, the small diner waited across the street. His stomach was growling, making it difficult to drive. So after 25 miles of internal debating which place to stop at, one that both he and Holly would like, he picked this small diner. He attempted to wake her to ask what she preferred only to be kicked in the leg and told to shut up.

“Holly.” He said again, this time a little sterner. “Food.”

She mumbled more, pushing her feet into Garrett’s thigh to stretch. Her arms unraveled from under her body and extending, the muscles regaining their flexibility and she glanced at him, her blue eyes showing the tiredness in her body. “Did you say food?” Her voice was groggy, the typical tone of the freshly-awaken Holly.

“Mama’s Diner.” He said, tickling her feet again. “Supposedly the best burgers in the southwest.”

They got out of the car, the cold Colorado air immediately hitting their Arizonian skin. She shivered, climbing back into the car and grabbing Garrett’s long-sleeved, black and white checkered plaid shirt, buttoning it up quickly. He didn’t mind the cold as much, although he wasn’t use to it, he always likes it for a few brief minutes. He walked around, closing the door after she buttoned the shirt up. She smiled at him, grabbing his hand and curling into his side, using his arm to warm her.

Garrett quickly got a table and they both sat, enjoying the heat in the small diner compared to the frigid temperature outside. It was a nice place, clean and quiet, and small fireplace at one end and a bar at the other. However neither one of them were really in the mood to drink, the stress levels of seeing her family keep them far away from the booze.

Garrett ordered first, the waitress jotting down his order of a hamburger and fries. Holly smiled, requesting only a milkshake and plate of onion rings. She had full intention of just stealing his food and save them the 8 dollars for another meal.

“That’s really all you’re gonna get?” Garrett question immediately after the waitress walked away.

Holly shrugged, her fingers playing with her cell phone sitting on the table. No one was texting either of them, even though this would be the last opportunity for friends to contact the two until they came back in a week. Holly sighed, flipping through the few text she received today, all of them from Kennedy and Pat, wishing here luck with her parents.

“You alright?” Garrett asked, watching her look down and grow upset.

“Yeah.” She replied quickly, fiddling with the battery pack on the back of the cell phone. “I’m just gonna miss the guys.”

Garrett grinned. He loved that she loved them so much. She always got along with each of them, they all held a part of her. Kennedy, Pat, John, and Jared all enjoyed her company more than they did his. “I’m pretty sure they’ll miss you too.” Garrett whispered.

“I bet I’ll miss them more.” She retorted, smirking at Garrett.

Dinner came quickly, the large hamburger and countless fries brought to Garrett and the small plate of onion rings and vanilla milkshake placed in front of Holly. They went to work silently, both chewing their food and enjoying the warmth. Garrett commented a few times on the quality of the burger only to receive an eye roll from Holly.

“Gar?” She whined, looking down at the half a burger and fries sitting on the platter in front of her best friend. Before she could even ask, Garrett passed her his plate, allowing her to work on the burger as well and picking the longest fries to eat.

She smiled as they both reclined backwards in their seat, pushing out their stomach only accentuating their nonexistence fat. “I’m so full.” Holly quickly spat. This became a tradition between the two, both now doing it every time they ate out.

Garrett laughed, pushing the plate away from him. “You know Holly, I really miss this.”

“Getting fat?” She sarcastically questioned, confused by the context of his statement.

“No.” He retorted quickly. “Us, this. Hanging out, just us two.”

“Garrett we do this stuff all the time.” She stated.

“With the band or my family. Never just us anymore. Or when we both are home we just avoid each other.”

A smile spread over her face, genuinely touched by his comment. “Well it’s a good thing you came then isn’t it?” She replied, trying to cover her sudden adoration for his kindness.

Garrett quickly paid the bill and they made their way back into the car they had spent the day in. They only had an hour of road to travel and neither was really hoping to arrive there any earlier than that. He was tired of driving but would drive for another 12 hours to stay in the car with her.

“Hey Gar?” She began, as they approached the small SUV.

He glanced over at her, unclipping the car’s key from his belt loop. “Yes Holly?”

“I’ll drive the rest.” She spoke, her gait catching up with him. “You’ve done enough.”

He smiled, tossing her the keys before heading towards the passenger’s side door. “Deal.”

They got in, Holly taking a few minutes to adjust the seat and mirrors to the positions that fit her. She wasn’t that much shorter than Garrett, but enough that the seat had to slide forward and the mirrors angled differently.

She relaxed against the back of the seat, the leather quickly warming under her skin. Garrett’s shirt was still wrapped around her as the two waited for the engine to warm and the heat to come on full blast. Dusk had always been Holly’s favorite time of day. The sun’s leftover light outlining the horizon, giving it a glowing feature. She marveled at it as the two drove further and further into the Colorado scenery.

“Could you put The Starting Line on?” She asked Garrett, whose attention, like hers was focused on the scenery.

His head flicked around from the window, his glasses pushed his hair back as he squinted in attempts to make out her outline. “What?” He questioned.

She smiled at him, knowing his eyes had yet to adjust to the dim light. “Could you put The Starting Line on?”

He quickly adverted his attention to the iPod that contained all the music the two owned. Everything from Garrett’s favorite metal bands to Holly’s weak classical music collection. Quickly Garrett thumb rolled over the turn wheel, his eyes concentrated on the contents behind the bright light. In a few seconds, the sound of Holly’s favorite band filled the car, Kenny Vasoli’s voice soothing her stressing nerves. Kennedy introduced her to the band not long after they met. Holly felt the lyrics within her and she loved them wholeheartedly. Garrett watched her from the passenger’s seat as she drove diligently, paying attention to all her surroundings.

Within 30 minutes, they cruised through the small town of Mount Point, the place Holly went to school and grocery shopped. All the familiar sites brought disgust within her. This wasn’t the trip she was hoping to take this holiday season. She wanted to spend it in Arizona, with Garrett’s family. But her mom made her feel guilty about it, telling her even her stepbrothers who lived on the east coast would be here. So she agreed, but would only come if Garrett was invited.

She pointed out the few important things to Garrett, her high school and first job. All the things that Garrett had shown her but Holly never could return the favor until now, he could see where she grew up. Holly figured she’d give him a more in depth tour later in the week and show him why she had grown to hate the place so she stayed on the main road, avoiding the local hot spots.

The town disappeared more as the continued; Garrett stared out the window aimlessly, not focusing on one specific thing. Holly’s thumbs tapped against the steering wheel, following the beat of her favorite album. Her parents lived about 25 minutes outside the small town.

It was like the old times, when the band was still in the van. When they rotated the driving responsibilities amongst the 5 guys and 3 crewmembers so everyone could get at least a few hours worth of sleep. Holly would only drive with Garrett in the passenger’s seat. Knowing he was there would make her comfortable, he would be there to help her or talk to her while the other guys slept. All that had changed now, with the bus and with her comfort level.

The road took a tight turn, neither passenger in the car spoke. Holly’s eyes were on the road and hear attention on the music playing. Garrett was reminiscing of the old days, before Kennedy and the apartment. Back when she was still in college and he was just getting focused on becoming a professional musician.

She turned the car off the main road; the headlights’ beams bouncing off the trees and small rock wall surround the start of her family’s property. Snow was melting, in the never-ending Rocky Mountain cycle. Snow falls, sticks, and melts up. She was use to it and could predict the next part. The drive up the driveway was long, the gravel-covered path causing a few tire spins and requiring the concentration of the two inside the car.

Headlights hit the shiny garage doors. Holly’s mother’s and sister’s vehicles probably sitting inside. And her father’s familiar BMW waited in front of one of the garage doors, its exterior polish and waxed that day.

A heavy sigh escaped Holly’s lips as she pulled the car next to her father. He had become her biggest enemy, everything he preached to her as a child now seemed like the biggest collision of lies. College was the only way to happiness and money should be the driving force for your life. She hated it all.

Garrett leaned forward in his seat, pulling the seat belt forward as he looked up through the windshield, marveling at the log home hidden in the Rockies. “Shit!” He murmured to himself.

For Holly, this place was never about square footage or price. It was home for 18 years of her life. Her brothers and sisters grew up around her in the environment. She did love this place and loved what it stood for in her life. But she knew she would never moved back here. Arizona had become what this place couldn’t be. It allowed her a social life and a feeling of home. It was warm and sunny. Her best friends were there. Really there was no reason to ever leave Arizona.

They got out the car, both stretching away the agonizing feeling of sitting in a car all day. Garrett gathered the importance possessions from the front seat: the iPod, the cell phones, wires, laptops, and bags, while Holly pulled out the few bags from the trunk, leaving Garrett’s acoustic guitar for a later time.

“Ready?” He asked, walking around the car to see her sitting on the tail of the car, the 3 bags hanging from her shoulders. Garrett’s bag hanging on her left shoulder and her bag was on the right. Draped diagonally across her body was the third bag, containing both of their belongings.

She forced a small smile, one that took a lot of work to manage. Holly was nervous. And this was not the nervousness she was use to. Not the one she could run to Garrett and hug away. Nope, it was the type that sat in the pit of her stomach, making her feel nauseous.

He watched her as they both stood in the driveway. The air blanketed them, both immediately feeling goosebumps. “Holly.” Garrett proceeded towards her, filling the 10-foot gap he had created between the two. His arms extending, preparing themselves to engulf her perfectly, the way he and she both equally loved but would never admit to the other that they needed. “It’s going to be fine.” He pulled her into his chest, arms wrapping around her waist.

She smiled against him. His warmth helped to ward off those offensive goosebumps that she hated. His warm, moist breath settling between strands of her hair. Garrett was incredible at comforting this girl, making her feel secure for the few times she had felt insecure with him. But his hug could help to wipe away her worry and sudden panic.

As soon as they let go, they made their way up the small, stoned path leading to the front porch. She held his hand, silently asking him to drag her in since she knew if he didn’t, she would never go. The parents were inside, those parents with their ideologies that neither Holly nor any of the people she was spending her time with agreed with. The views that would ban her from what she was doing if they knew.

His fist pounded against the door, Holly gripping tighter onto his hand. Turning around was always an option. Neither parent had seen them yet and spending one more night away may help her focus her thoughts and compose herself. But the footsteps on the other side of the passageway were her final warning that this was real and nothing could save her now.

Her father pulled the door open, allowing a small morsel of heat to escape from the depths of the log mansion. The light from the entryway blinded the two outside momentarily, causing them to shield their eyes to allow the pupils a few moments to adjust.

“Dad.” Holly greeted, releasing Garrett’s hand and stepping in front of him, trying to be brave.

The older man smiled, opening the door further to allow the Arizonians inside and out of the cold. Garrett allowed Holly to step through the threshold first, holding back the bag to give her a wider entrance, before following her in.

Garrett watched the two awkwardly greet each other, a few kind words exchanged and a light hug. The old man had aged since the last time they saw him, only a year and a half ago. His receding hairline had now grown together; the entire top of his head was now almost hairless. A few deep wrinkles set in when he smiled at the girl. Even his choice of clothing and glasses frame were signs of the years that had passed.

“Dad, you remember Garrett right?” She turned, her father gaze following her gesture.

Garrett smiled, extending his hand to greet him. “Mr. Thomas. How are you?”

The old man’s face grew into a smile again. “Oh, please. Call me Tristan.” His hand was in Garrett’s, shaking it gently. “I’m just fine. How are you? How was your ride?”

“It went surprisingly well, no traffic, no weather. Couldn’t ask for better driving conditions.” Garrett informed.

The two watched each other wearily, not sure as to what else to say. Garrett wasn’t the best at these sorts of conversations and Tristan Thomas wasn’t the easiest to talk to, but they manage to deal with a little small talk before Holly interrupted. “Where’s Mom?” She interjected, receiving a thankful look from Garrett.

“She went to get Tyler from a friend’s house. She’ll be back soon.” The father replied.

“And Rebekah?” And Jack?” She questioned, longing to see her siblings.

“Bekah’s still at work. Jack’s in bed.” Tristan answered quickly, his hands shoved in the depths of his pant’s pockets.

The Thomas household never lacked children. It was a blended family, the oldest two boys, Sam and Bryan, came to the family via the father and the oldest daughter, Violet, from the mother’s first marriage. The last four were the biological offsprings of the parents. The oldest two were girls, first Rebekah then Holly. And lastly, finishing up the clan, were the two boys, Tyler and Jack.

Tristan quickly pointed Garrett and Holly in the direction of their sleeping quarters. Growing up, it was Sam and Bryan’s room when they were living there. Now it served as a guest bedroom, the one the parents decided would work for Holly, since she was bringing a guest.

“What did you say your parents did?” Garrett questioned once the door was closed and her father was on the lower level of the house. The size of the home made him question how they could afford it.

Holly smiled, keeping her focus on pulling her belonging from her luggage. “My dad’s a real estate agent and Mom is a lawyer.”

“Oh.” He whispered sitting down on the twin bed he had claimed, admiring the bedroom he would be sharing with his best friend. “I’m surprised they didn’t put us in separate rooms.”

She pried the computer from the tight case, the power cord following quickly. “They would have, but everyone’s coming home so this was their only option.” She casually spoke. “You would have been in here by yourself and I would have been in my room but Sam’s probably staying there.”

He was thankful they were all coming. Even though it would be overwhelming meeting her 6 siblings and 3 in-laws, he was getting serious time with her and that was something that he craved. Being in this room with her every night, hearing her breath, knowing she was right there, would comfort him and wipe away his nerves. Back when they were in the van was the last time he was this close, back when she would fall asleep on his shoulder. Now she could lock herself in her room or crawl into her bunk and he couldn’t see her.

Holly plugged her computer into the outlet and slipped into a sweatshirt of his. Garrett watched her busy herself with the few tasked needed to be down. “Holly, this is vacation, not tour, you should just chill.”

She chuckled, setting the computer down on the cleared end table and sitting on the bed that she ending up with after Garrett claimed him. Turning to him, watching him as hard as he had been watching her. “Remember our last trip together?” She questioned softly.

His typical frown spread into a smile. “When we went to L.A.?”

“Yeah.” She smiled back, remembering the trip.

That trip, for the both of them, played a large role in their friendship. It had only been a few months since they had met and one night, while the two were eating some tacos, Holly confessed to Garrett that she dreamed of going to California. The next day, Garrett arrived in front of her dorms, telling her that this was something the two had to do together. And after much pestering, Garrett got Holly in the car with him. And the two had the time of their life, absorbing themselves in the other’s presences, sharing stories that most friends and family didn’t know. That trip was a lot of the foundation of their friendship.

They both sat on the beds, only a few feet from the other, reliving the trip in their heads. The memories lighting the fires in their eyes. L.A. would always be a place of fondness for the two. While most people saw the place as scandalous and raunchy, for Garrett and Holly, it was just to opposite. It had beauty where most couldn’t see it. It kindle a friendship that has pulled the two out of the mud and gave the two something that they could have forever.

Both were interrupted from a soft knock against the door connecting to hallway. Holly’s mother stood on the other side, waiting to greet her daughter and Garrett. Holly rose, readjusting the skinny jeans she had on before proceeding to the door. Georgia Thomas greeted her daughter with a squeal, engulfing her in an awkward hug that the mother enjoyed a lot more than the daughter. Georgia held on longer than both Garrett and Holly had expecting before letting her go to see her face.

“Oh my goodness Holly, look at you.” Another soft squeal, the sign of mother’s affection. “All grown up.”

Holly blushed a little, not enjoying the sudden attention for the woman. “Hi Mom.”

“Hi Mom. That’s all I get?” She teased, a large smile plastered on her face.

Holly smiled too; trying to show her the affection her mother was showing her. But really, it was rather impossible after all the parents had done. After the last meet-up in Denver, Holly knew that her heart was incapable of feeling the same love that the mother did. “Mom, you remember Garrett, right?” Holly spoke, changing the subject.

Garrett rose, walking over to the small scene create by the mother and daughter. He knew a lot about Holly, he knew her feelings toward her family and the area. Garrett knew that really Holly had only come because she felt she had to and wanted to see her siblings. “Mrs. Thomas.” He extended his hand, in the same manner he had when greeting her father.

The smile grew again, her eyes staring at the boy. “It’s Georgia.” She pulled the boy into the same engulfing hug she just had with her own daughter. “And of course I remember you.”

Garrett remembered her mother a little different, a little less accepting. That day, so long ago, at the venue in Denver, Mrs. Thomas would barely look at the band, the disapproving mother look embarrassing Holly. Even John, who was capable of winning over just about anyone, couldn’t get even a small smile from the mother. And then pulled her daughter aside, reminding her that this was the life that the parents wouldn’t accept.

She let him ago finally. Allowing him to take a step backwards to where Holly was, creating an invisible force field to prevent anymore hugs. Garrett just wanted to close the door now, allowing him and Holly to reflect on the event and allowing Garrett to hold her while she tried to understand her mother.

“Well, I’ll let you two settle in, I know it was a long trip. If you need anything just let me know. Ok?” The mother demanded, talking faster than either two could process the sentence.

Holly pulled out another small smile, another tiny attempt at trying to communicate with Georgia that she loved her but to please leave. “Ok Mom. Thanks.” She replied before pulling the door shut and allowing Garrett and Holly to have some privacy again.

It wasn’t that Holly didn’t love her parents because she did. She was thankful for the way she grew up and the values she was taught. Most of them were smart and practical, but a few of them, the important ones, she had trouble valuing now. She couldn’t just mindlessly go to school and continue on with a life like they did. She found a different path and they disapproved of it. Touring with smelly guys, spending her life living out of a suitcase, living with a guy who she wasn’t married to or even dating. All things her parents would never be ok with.

Garrett smiled at her, wrapping her up in his arms, squeezing her ‘til her guts wanted to burst. That was Garrett. The guy who could make her smile in pain, who could change her mood with little effort, and the one guy who cared enough to help her change her originally bland life into something fun and spicy.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is something that won't be updated for a while, I'm going to try and get Broken finished first. But we'll see what happens ;)

Comments...