We Come Out At Night 3

Chapter 7

------------------
Vengeance
------------------

Last night I was nice, but stern. I fucked up. I want Mari to trust me, but every time she said something to me or smiled I almost snapped at her. I don’t want her to be happy. It kills me to see her happy. She’s a Montes and while she may appear sweet, innocent and beautiful on the outside, her blood line is cold, ruthless and ugly.

Right now, Mari is standing over at the stove making me breakfast. I brought her down a bagel with cream cheese this morning and she looked at me disappointed. So, I told her if she could do better than that, she was more than welcome to use the kitchen so long as I went with her. Cooking seemed to make her genuinely happy. I’d even go so far as to say she had a real passion for it.

She smiled at me excitedly when she started to put breakfast on the plates. She set two plates down in front of me. I know I’m a big boy, but two plates?

“What is that?” I asked her pointing to the one that I assumed was fried eggs with some kind of sauce and cheese. I think there’s even beans in there somewhere.

Mari picked up the knife and fork and picked up a small bit onto the fork and put it in my mouth. “Huevos Motulenos.” She said as she introduced me to eggs like I’ve never had them before.

“ooooh that’s good.”I said as I swallowed and It was, I was surprised and I wanted more. Next she moved the knife and fork to the other plate and cut off a piece of meat. Once again she placed the fork in my mouth.

“Bistek.” She smiled.

If this was heaven, kill me now and save me seat. “This is amazing. I don’t know what to say.”

She laughed and I truly was at a loss for words. “You eat and I will make you the best cup of café con leche you’ve ever had.”

“I don’t know what that is, but if it’s as good as this breakfast, bring it on!”

I continued to eat, while she made me her version of coffee with milk. It was a little stronger than I usually like my coffee, but it was good nonetheless. She sat down beside me and ate with me although her breakfast fit on one plate. “How did you learn to cook like this?”

“I spent a lot of time in the kitchen staying out of my father’s way. The staff let me help although my father would kill each and every one of them if he found out that they let me work with them. I really like it though. I love being in a kitchen, it’s the one room in any house that can bring everyone together.”

Poor kid. For a second I felt bad for her, but she seemed well adjusted. “Well, if I am ever in the market for a personal chef, you’d be first on my list.”

It was working. She was laughing and smiling and seemed to be loosening up around me. I didn’t sense the fear in her that I did just a few days ago. Kinda disappointed about that part, but oh well, it’s all part of the plan and things are going as smooth as silk right now.


-----------
Gates
-----------

I had the worst night’s sleep ever and today I would be working with Kristina. I’d much rather be sleeping with her. She hadn’t slept in my bed since the day she slapped Shadows and I really was missing her. Three days was long enough, today I was going to have to suck it up and talk to her. Usually, right about now, she would be sitting in the office with her coffee waiting for me to give her instructions so she could get started with her daily tasks.

She wasn’t there.

My guess was that she was up late studying and was still sleeping. So, I walked down the hall to her bedroom. She wasn’t sleeping, but she was definitely in there, I could hear her sobbing. I stopped outside her door and looked in and saw her lying on her bed on her side with her back to the door. She was crying and not just your typical tear here and there, she was full blown bring a man to his knees sobbing. “Kristina?”

She continued to cry when I said her name, so I walked over to the bed. “Krissy, why are you crying?” I asked her as I leaned down and put my hand on her arm.
When I got no response, I got on the bed and lay down behind her pulling her to me so that her back was against my chest. “Is this because of me? Because I was mean to you?”

She shook her head no in response. I really had no idea what the hell to do. “Is it because of what Shadows said to you last night?”

“Kind of.” She said as she wiped her eyes. Her body was trembling as I held her and I could only hope that it wasn’t trembling because I was touching her. I didn’t want her to be scared of me.

“Tell me.” I said softly and kissed the top of her head.

That seemed to make her cry more. “I can’t tell you. You’ll hate me.”

What could she say to me that would make me hate her? Only one thing came to mind and even that wouldn’t make me hate her. “Please tell me you didn’t call the cops.”

“No, I swear, Brian. I didn’t.” There was so much conviction in her voice and even though it was laden with sobs, I could tell she wasn’t lying. “I have a secret and Shadows knows what it is. I’m scared, Brian.”

I knew he had something to do with this. I should have gone into the office with him last night when he went to talk to her. If I knew this was the end result of his actions, I wouldn’t have let him in the office at all. “Ok, I want you to calm down and when you are calm, we can talk about this. No pressure, I promise.”

She nodded and tried to relax against me. Not even 15 minutes later, the two of us had fallen asleep. Neither one having the sleep we should have had the night before.