Status: Thanks for reading!

It Wasn't Meant To Turn Out Like This

A Different Man

Brian never considered the idea of ever moving too far away from his parents. Therefore, when he had found a house only a few blocks from his parents’ house, a house that he easily fell in love with, he snatched it up, not really minding how much it would cost. Besides, by the time he bought the house, the band’s popularity had grown exponentially, and he’d had some extra cash to burn. He had bought the house with the mindset of an expecting father, making sure the house was large enough to accommodate at least two children, even if his number of children never exceeded one.

It took Mayza five minutes to fly to his house. She would’ve been there in three minutes tops, but she’d stalled a little to go over in her head what she might say to him in an attempt to make him see things without the darkly tinted sunglasses named Michelle. She also needed to figure out what she would do if Michelle happened to be at the house; Mayza knew Michelle had moved in with Brian a few months before Mayza was freed. Hopefully, Michelle would be gone and there would not need to be any bloodshed.

Taking a deep breath, Mayza knocked on the door. She waited patiently, saying a silent prayer that Brian would answer the door and she would be able to speak to him without Michelle hovering. Mayza quickly bit back a rude interjection when Michelle opened the door several moments later.

“Hey, can I see Brian?” Mayza asked politely, slipping on a smile for Michelle’s benefit.

Michelle simply scowled. “He’s not interested,” she told Mayza coldly and began to close the door on her. A flicker of Mayza’s anger flared and she shot out a hand to stop the door from closing. If Michelle had been paying any attention, she would’ve seen Mayza’s bright pink eyes darken a shade.

“Babe, who’s at the door?” Brian called from somewhere inside the house. The sound of his voice instantly calmed Mayza’s temper. Michelle turned away from Mayza to yell down the hall.

“Oh, just some salesperson trying to sell us useless junk,” Michelle answered in a sweet, innocent voice completely different from the one she’d just used on Mayza. Mayza rolled her eyes at the ridiculousness of the bitch in front of her and shoved herself past Michelle into the hallway. She began to walk down the hallway towards where she’d heard Brian’s voice.

Mayza heard Michelle close the front door and moments later, Michelle’s hand closed over Mayza’s elbow and dragged her into a different room than the one Mayza had been heading towards. Once they’d stepped into the room, Michelle whirled Mayza around, glaring at the fairy in front of her. Mayza looked coolly back.

“Leave my fucking house before I call the police,” Michelle whispered angrily.

“Stop acting like you don’t know who I am,” Mayza snapped back, feeling an odd satisfaction at the look of panic that crossed Michelle’s face as Mayza spoke in a normal volume rather than whispering. “I know that you know who I am. Besides, I wouldn’t have come over here without warning if Suzy hadn’t told me what you’re doing to Brian. He deserves way better than you. He deserves to be treated better than you treat him.”

“Listen, you little fairy bitch,” Michelle hissed angrily, “how I treat my boyfriend is none of your business. Now go back to the little fairy settlement you came from and leave us all the hell alone.”

“I have a better idea. Let’s ask Brian what he thinks. He is my former owner, after all,” Mayza answered. She turned and walked towards the door, only to be grabbed by Michelle again and forced to spin and face her. Michelle’s palm connected hard with Mayza’s cheek; Mayza’s eyes instantly darkened to a magenta color quickly darkening to black. Michelle released Mayza in shock at the sudden change of the color of her eyes, and Mayza capitalized on that by turning and hurrying out into the hallway. She stepped into the living room and felt another wave of calm wash over her upon seeing Brian sitting on the couch watching the television.

“I thought you said Michelle was really nice,” Mayza said as Michelle stepped into the living room behind her.

Upon hearing Mayza’s voice, Brian twisted around on the couch. Mayza could instantly see what Suzy had meant. She’d given a pretty apt description of Brian. He looked like he’d just walked out of his grave, looking oddly pale and unfittingly sad. Mayza could tell that Brian’s stature had even changed so that he slumped rather than sitting straight and tall like he normally did.

“She is,” Brian answered, not sounding entirely convincing.

“Damn right I am,” Michelle snapped, pushing Mayza aside and taking a few steps towards Brian. If Mayza wasn’t mistaken, she thought she saw dread flitter across Brian’s face as Michelle neared him. “Now get out of my house.”

“Last I checked, Brian owns this house. You’re only a guest,” Mayza reminded Michelle. “So he can order me out whenever he likes, and I’ll go without a fight.”

“Nah, come here and sit down,” Brian answered eagerly, patting the couch cushion beside him. “We need to catch up so bad.”

“Bri!” Michelle whined, looking dismayed that Brian wanted to keep the fairy in his home. Brian completely ignored her, keeping his gaze fixed on Mayza as she stepped around the couch and perched herself next to him. “Fine then!” Michelle burst out, glaring between Brian and Mayza. “If you’re going to ignore me like a bastard, I’ll just go out and hang with the ladies! Fuck you, Brian!” She disappeared out into the hall, and a few moments later, the front door slammed shut.

Mayza rolled her eyes, noticing how Brian looked slightly better now that Michelle had gone. “Listen, Brian, Suzy told me how Michelle’s been treating you. She’s being a bitch to you and you deserve way better. You need to break up with her! She’s dragging you down!”

“It’s just a—” Brian said, saying it almost robotically, Mayza didn’t fail to notice.

“Is that you or Michelle talking?” Mayza cut in before Brian could even finish his thought. He opened his mouth to defend himself but closed his mouth again a few moments later. He visibly slumped in defeat, looking more worn down than ever.

“I don’t know how to break up with her,” Brian admitted. “I’ve mentioned it before, but Michelle just calls me silly, bats her eyelashes, and changes the subject. And I don’t want to hurt her, so I don’t push it.”

“You’re going to have to,” Mayza answered. “You’re going to have to push it, and if it hurts her, then so be it. It looks to me like she’s hurting you bad enough as it is. It might teach her a lesson, getting a bit of her own medicine. Next time you feel that you can bring the subject up, be firmer about it. Kick her out of the fucking house. She has plenty of places to live. If she gives you tears and bull shit, just be that much firmer about it.”

Brian sighed. “I suppose you’re right.” Suddenly, he wrapped his arms around Mayza, pulling her against his chest. Mayza returned the gesture, resting her head against his chest and listening to his heartbeat. She could feel his warm breath on her neck. “I missed you so much, Mayza.”

“I missed you too, Brian,” Mayza agreed. “More than you may ever realize.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, can you check out my newest story Chained No More?

Thank you!

Please comment!