Status: Done.

Salt in the Wound

Sleep and sly signals.

“Still running?” I asked dreamily, my mind not catching up with my body. Looking at him through half lidded eyes I smiled when he glanced down at me.

“We’re almost there.” I remembered him stopping only once, it had seemed like a dream but the sand that stuck to my hands cleared that up for me. The sky was a lighter than before, stars softly dwindling away. “How are you feeling?”

“Far away.” I replied. I struggled to keep my eyes open, I didn’t want to fall back asleep. “Why don’t you sleep Gaara?” My voice came out quietly and at first I wasn’t sure if he even heard me.

“I can’t.”

“Have you tried?” I strained my neck to look around me, watching with interest as the sand trickled around his moving legs.

“No.”

It was no wonder he was so angry, the boy was as tired as they come. “Maybe you should, you look like you could use a good week’s worth, maybe even years. I could help you sleep.” He smirked, amused at my drugged up conversation.

“Maybe.” He nodded forward, I followed his gaze and saw the walls of Suna advancing. “We’re almost there.”

“Gaara, I don’t want to go to the hospital.” Quite frankly, after my last experience with that hospital, I didn’t want to face it. I was comfortable enough with Gaara’s crude stitching to just go to bed and deal with it tomorrow.

“Too bad.” I smiled to myself, amused at his constant one word answers. It was almost cute.

“Stay with me?” His eyes widened as he looked down at me, curious about the smile on my face. If I hadn’t been drugged out of my mind I wouldn’t of had the nerve to ask him. But I was scared and he made me feel safe, it was only obvious I would have asked him.

“I can’t Ishiko, there are matters I need to attend to.”

“Oh.” My eyes dropped and my nerves rose. Maybe I had been gone long enough for them to forget about me killing one of their men, maybe not. I suddenly felt nauseous at the thought of even stepping foot in that white washed place. He noticed the disappointment in my voice, maybe even the small amount of fear that leaked through. Letting out a small sigh, he brought me closer to his chest.

“I will stay until you fall asleep.” I turned my face back into his jacket, breathing in his scent. It filled my head and tempted me to fall asleep again, but I wouldn’t.

“Thank you.” I sighed. We had entered the gates, crossing path with the Jounin who watched over them.

“Kazekage, what happened?” He rushed towards us, his eyes looking at my bloody and bruised form. I smiled weakly and closed my eyes, happy to be somewhere familiar.

“Take her to the hospital immediately, I will be there shortly. I did my best to subdue the wounds but she needs more than just that.” He nodded and slipped his hands under me, I turned my head towards Gaara, startled. “I will be right there Ishiko, don’t panic.” I shut my eyes, trying to shake the fear away.

--From the P.O.V. of Gaara--

I watched her tremble in Kino’s arms, scared to be away from me. It warmed me ever so slightly. Turning away from her I ran in the direction of Temari’s apartment, not bothering to clean myself up first. I knocked loudly, making sure she woke up.

“At this time of night, honestly?” I heard her mumble through the door. She opened the door up, one eye closed tightly. “What?” When she saw me she flung the door open, both her eyes now focused on me. “Is that…blood? Gaara, what happened?!” She grabbed my arm and pulled me inside, locking the door.

“I need to ask you a favor. I apologize for coming so early, but it’s important.”

“Where did that blood come from? Where were you? What time is it even?!” She panicked, pushing me towards the sink and turning on the hot water. I glanced down at my hands, they were covered in smears of dried blood.

“I went for…a walk, outside the village and-” She cut me off, her face trembling.

“Again? Do you understand how dangerous that is?” Her face softened, realization hitting her. “Gaara, she’s not coming back…you need to stop going there at night.” I scowled at her, not appreciating being interrupted.

“It’s her blood Temari.” Her face fell, eyes narrowing in the process.

“Her blood?”

“She is at the hospital right now getting her wounds treated. Which is why I need you to take those documents regarding the exploding tag attack in Konoha to my office immediately. I have to check on her after this but when I’m done I need to check those papers.” Her mouth closed, quietly taking in my directions. “When I do come back I need either you or Kankuro to watch over her until she can be taken from the hospital.” She nodded. “I will be back within the hour.”

“Wait!” She called out as I began walking to the door. Turning my head to glance over my shoulder I met her frightened eyes. “What happened? I mean, why is she in the hospital?”

“I don’t have the time to discuss this right now.” And with that being said I left her standing there and began walking towards the hospital.

Ishiko was bandaged properly with a bottle of medicine sitting on the table beside her, her face relaxed and at peace. I opened the door and her silver eyes shot open, glancing at me she lowered her lids and graced me with a smile. “I thought you weren’t going to come.”

“I told you I would.” Settling myself in the chair beside her bed I couldn’t help but notice her arms were bruised worse than I had thought, somewhat of a sad sight. “Have they taken good care of you?” She nodded and turned her face towards the ceiling, staring at the swirling pattern of the white tiles. “When they let you leave the hospital, I would appreciate it if you stayed for a little while longer than you had planned.” Those wide eyes beamed at me, confused and relieved at the same time.

“What for?”

“I need your help. I have reason to believe that the paper bombs we encountered earlier are the same type as the ones that went off in Konoha. And right now I could use all the good word I can take.” Was that disappointment? Her face fell only slightly before she returned her gaze at the ceiling tiles.

“Of course, anything I can do for you. You know, if you hadn’t used your sand to shield the rest of the rock fragments, I would most likely be dead right now.” She smiled again, “You have a knack for saving me, don’t you?” It wasn’t intentional, what kind of leader would I be if I just allowed someone to die in front of me when I could prevent it. Besides, she just had a terrible knack of getting into situations that required saving. It was her fault.

“Do you ever wonder what it’s like? Sleeping, I mean.” She asked quietly, I turned my attention to her clenched hands, wondering if she was still in pain.

“I have slept before, it’s nothing to get excited over.” Did a fake sleeping jutsu count as sleep? I would assume so, considering that was all that I had to really back up my statement. Her eyes closed peacefully and her smile grew wider.

“You obviously haven’t had any good dreams then. Soon, don’t worry, I will help you know what it’s like.”