Status: Done.

Salt in the Wound

Reunited.

“Where is she?! Hey, tell me where she is!” I could hear someone yelling somewhere down the hall from my door. My eyes fluttered open, a blazing pain in my back to accommodate the vicious headache that had already started forming. The door to my hospital suddenly burst open, it bounced off the wall with a terrible sound and began to shut itself again. Until a hand stopped it harshly. “Unbelievable.” I grinned as well as I could at Kankuro, whose mouth was hanging open. I didn’t have time to brace myself before he darted towards me, arms open to smother me. More gentle than I would have thought, he wrapped his arms around my shoulders, nuzzling into my neck.

“Nice to see you too Kanky.” His face lifted, merely inches from my own face.

“I don’t even care. Hell, I like the stupid nick name. Where have you been?” He suddenly stood up, crossing his arms and looking up in mock anger as if my presence suddenly reminded him he was mad at me. “You left me. Do you know how big a pain in the ass Gaara was after you left? Terrible. I don’t think I can ever forgive you for the worry you put me through.” I poked his thigh and frowned.

“I’m sorry, I should have at least told you before I left.” He took a step closer to me when I wouldn’t stop tugging on his pant leg. “I just needed a break from everything.”

“You’re planning to stay for good now right?” I cringed and his eyes narrowed threateningly. “Right?”

“Well…I wasn’t intending to,” He leaned in closer, still glaring daggers at me, “but, there is still much time to reconsider!” I added hastily. He nodded, satisfied with my answer. The chair scuffed the floor as he pulled it up to sit by my bed.

“So what happened to you, you look like hell!” I frowned, suddenly worried about my appearance.

“Do I really?” My hand mussed my hair, probably not helping. “Hm, anyway, someone had laid paper bombs by the graves and boom, they exploded. Right behind me.”

“Why were you there?”

“How about, why was Gaara there?” I tilted my head in his direction, watching a stupid grin wipe across his face.

“That’s his new favorite place. He goes there constantly during the night, has ever since you left.” I lifted my eyebrows, curious as to where this was going. “He was worried about you.” He poked me softly, teasing.

“I find that hard to believe.” I replied flatly, a flame of hope raging in my chest.

“It’s true, ask Temari. He felt like it was his fault that you left and if something had happened to you, well he knows we all would have blamed him. Come to think of it, after you left Gaara changed. He got…nicer. Whatever you said must have really gotten to him.” His finger tapped his chin before he shrugged it off. “It’s been a nice change of pace, I have to admit.”

“Hm.” I looked to my left out of the window, the sun high in the sky. My mind wandered momentarily, wondering what Gaara was doing at the moment. I shook the thought quickly out of my head, my cheeks burning. I didn’t care what he was doing. “How have you been Kankuro?’ I dragged him out of a thought and he looked around almost confused.

“Bored. No one plays like you play so I was alone and very un-amused.” He frowned dramatically. “But,” inclining his head towards me with a smile, “now that you are back, I guess I won’t be very bored anymore huh?” I lifted up my arms lazily.

“I’m probably going to be in here for awhile, but after that no, I guess you won’t be bored anymore.” I closed my eyes, trying to push away the pain in my head when his fingers twirled my hair around.

“You hair has gotten longer, it looks nice.” I smiled in response, leaning into his hand. The gesture distracted me from the pain. “You look like a girl.” I could hear the smirk in his voice and I sighed. Same old Kankuro.

“Thank you, and you look like the same pre-pubescent little boy you always have looked like.” His hand fell away from my hair. I opened my eye and peeked at him, meeting his scrunched up face.

“Take that back.” I smiled at his childish ways and nodded.

“I take it back.” The door creaked open and in the doorway stood Temari, her arms crossed and a wide smile on her face.

“Oh Ishiko, you look terrible.” She grinned and walked over, placing a hand on her brothers shoulder. “I can’t tell you how good it is to have you back! I do believe Gaara said something about wanting to, you know, see you.” Her voice said in a soft teasing manner. I glanced over at Kankuro who raised his eyebrows suggestively, winking at me.

“Oh cut it out you creep.” I glared, a smile unwillingly coming onto my face. Temari grinned as well, shrugging when I gave her a questionable look. Another woman squeezed herself in the room, shooing everyone one.

“You can visit later, give the girl some breathing room she needs to rest!” She glared and pushed out Kankuro who was making crude hand signs over the woman’s shoulder. I snickered as he scowled through the small window in the door before he turned and left. “How are you feeling?” Her hand felt my forehead, frowning when she took it off.

“The pain is terrible, there must be something you could give me.” She nodded and took the bottle from the table I had overlooked, pouring a small amount in the cup, I drank it quickly. It was bitter, harsh, and made my stomach turn. Her hand slipped under my back and sat me up, dangerously close to my unstable stomach.

“Let’s get you in the shower, shall we?” I went to protest but feared opening my mouth. I would much rather have dealt with the pain. Another nurse came in, and together they helped me move towards the bath. Undoing my bandages they were careful to not splash the soapy water in it, I felt like an infant all over again. The fresh hospital gown was itchy and thin, not leaving much to the imagination and my head was suddenly getting heavy.

Next time, I’m denying the medicine.

She laid me down after rewrapping my wounds and left me to myself. The sky outside was getting darker, a deep burnt orange with splashes of red dripping down. My favorite time of day. I found myself wanting a high tree branch, somewhere I could sleep and watch the world go to sleep. Sighing, I rolled over away from the window, knowing this hospital bed was all I was going to get. I drifted off with the help of the medicine, hoping that blue eyed boy would stay out of my dreams.