Status: Done.

Salt in the Wound

The first attack.

As the flame flickered over his twisted face I could see in the light how drastically he had changed. Immortality was an ugly thing. His once full and stern face was gaunt and hollow. He was as pale as a ghost and his eyes looked more like black holes driven deep within his sockets. His dark blue hair whipped around his face wickedly. It had grown longer, wild almost. He wasn’t the same man, his once pale blue eyes were now the color of hellfire, a demon within them and the smile he wore on his face was one I hadn’t ever seen on even the most wicked of men. He circled me until he stood directly in front of my tense figure.

“You never found your father that night, did you Ishiko?” I snapped my eyes up to his face, my lip curling in anger. “Do you want to know why?” He crouched down to my level and I couldn’t help but cringe at the smell of blood that lingered in his hair.

“Stop talking.” I growled, he smirked and shook his head.

“You couldn’t find him because there was nothing left to find. His grave is as empty as yours.” My eyes grew distant upon hearing this. That night was as clear as day and a suppressed memory of mine suddenly floated upwards. He was right, I couldn’t find him that night. After my mother had died I searched frantically trying to find him. All to be met with the same outcome, absolutely nothing. “He was the first one I got my hands on. You should of heard how pathetic he sounded when I wrapped my hands around his neck.” Roka whispered next to my ear, breathing heavily on me. I pushed him away with brute force, sending him reeling backwards on his legs.

That heavy smirk never left his starving face. We were less than three feet apart, my body crouched and ready to attack while he just stood there like he didn’t give a damn. “What kind of sick bastard are you? To kill an innocent man and to talk about it like it’s no big deal!” Snarling, I shut my eyes tightly, holding in the rage that was slowly building up.

“I had plenty of reasons for it you stupid girl.” He lowered his eyes, radiating malice. “Hiroshi liked to pretend he played an important role in that village. He turned my family against me and suggested I was banished from the village.” His crimson eyes met mine and he frowned. “He held my own son back from chasing me as I was dragged out of that forsaken place. You haven’t felt pain like that yet. A loss so big in your life it changes who you are entirely.” I stood up slightly, a little more than shocked at his blatant confession. “You remind me so much of your father Ishiko. Standing up when you really should just stay put. Since he never had a chance to feel my pain I feel it’s only proper to bring it to you. It only makes this easier for me anyways, I get my revenge and Hihouka gets his.” He had slowly started advancing on me, backing me against the corner.

“Your family…you could have saved them that night! But you let them die along with everyone else!” I yelled. He smiled and shrugged nonchalantly.

“Their death was nothing to me at that point. Besides, after I murdered your father…I went after them. That whore and my idiot of a son. If they had been as loyal as I had she would have tried to come after me when I had been banished, but she didn’t. Her screams were almost as satisfying as Hiroshi’s.” His eyes rolled back in what almost appeared to be pleasure.

“Why are you telling me this?” I could feel the tears coming to my eyes as I whispered sadly. He laughed and his face was once again lit up in the flickering flame.

“I feel it’s only proper you know what really happened and why I’m after you. It’s that satisfaction I get from watching you squirm. It will only make that moment sweeter when I do manage to kill you. But until then…let’s watch you bleed a little!” He yelled and charged after me, his arm transformed into a mutated form of talon. They tore across my chest and with a scream I fell to my knees, clutching at the fabric. “I figured you would be a little more of a challenge” He said with a hint of dissapointment. His tongue ran the length of his talons, lapping up the spare drops of blood he had stolen from me. Slowly I stood up, narrowing my eyes at him and gasping in pain. No sooner did he come at me again, that rip of a grin on his face. Awkwardly dodging it I fell into the wall with a grunt of pain.
“I’m tired of getting hurt and being so weak.” I looked at him through one eye, trying to ignore the ragged tear in my flesh. The blood still spilling down me. “I’m tired of being over looked and lying there helpless while everyone fights for me.” He watched in amusement as I crouched forward again, preparing myself to fight.

“You might be even more a fool than your father was. I didn’t want to kill you now but I might have already done it by accident.” He easily side stepped my clumsy throws and laughed when I bumped into my armoire, I was getting dizzy. His head was thrown back and he laughed. It was that moment I took my chance and threw the kunai at him. It grazed his cheek, drawing a fine amount of blood. The hand that had remained human softly prodded the wound and his eyes narrowed. “Useless bitch.” He spat, wiping the blood away. I smiled and crouched again, motioning my head to come at me. It didn’t matter that I couldn’t see straight, I wasn’t going down so easily this time. He darted towards me and I towards him, both of us slickly avoiding the other ones movements. His talons cut into arm, deeply wounding me. Another scream and I shuddered, grasping my arm with my hand. Blood leaked through my fingers, staining to floor. I could see the shadow of the flame dying out in my windows reflection. I had to finish this guy off before Gaara came back and interrupted this. I wouldn’t risk his life like that. I jumped in the air, making fast hand signals. It had taken me some time to learn this jutsu, considering I had nobody to practice it on.

It was specially designed for one on one combat, if used otherwise it would hurt everyone around the user. A bead of light grew from the center of my palm and when his eyes landed on it, he growled dangerously. “Gates of Heaven!” I yelled and flung myself downwards, aiming for his eyes. He dodged, but not fast enough. My hand landed over his left eye and a shuddering scream escaped his mouth. I fell off, sliding on the balls of my feet. His hand clutched his eye and I could spot in the darkness a black fluid running beneath his fingers. Step over step he stumbled backwards towards the balcony before stumbling over the edge. Before I could reach the balcony and look over I saw the tips of red tattered wings sprout from his transforming body and he flew somewhere over the towering walls.

If I had been a second sooner I could have blinded him in both eyes. But I supposed one eye was something for the time being. It sure got him away. As soon as my shoulders slumped I screamed in pain and clutched at my chest, my ragged skin burning now. Gaara, where are you? I forced myself to walk towards my door, needing to reassure myself he was safe. “Farther” I growled to myself, struggling with every step as I made my way to the main street of Suna. Ever step made me gasp in pain. This wasn’t it but at the time I really wish it had been my time to go. I had never experienced such intense pain. My eyes fell over to the huddled figures handling what appeared to be a limp body. “Gaara!” I screamed before collapsing in the dirt, clenching my teeth and biting my tongue. I saw somebody turn towards my voice and somewhere I heard a yell. Footsteps bounded towards me and I looked up, gritting my teeth. His face lowered and placed his hand on my back.

“Ishiko! What the hell have you done!?” He snarled and turned me over, his face startled when he saw the extent of my wounds. “Kankuro! Get the healing nin!” He yelled over his shoulder and I heard another set of footsteps bound away.

In that moment this seemed almost too surreal, and I laughed lightly. “I did it.” His face snapped towards mine, bewildered. “I wasn’t the one to fall first this time.” He lifted his lip and bared his teeth at me, inching closer.

“You stupid girl, you have nearly gotten yourself killed.”

“Stupid boy, I’m still talking aren’t I?” I smiled weakly and he softened his eyes, stroking my hair lightly. “Roka wants to hurt you Gaara, he knows you are important to me. What choice did I have? I won’t let him touch you.” He smiled almost sadly at me.

“I promised the same thing to you, and yet you still manage to find trouble.” He shook his head and looked around, mumbling threats under his breath towards Kankuro. With as much strength as I had left I reached my hand up and stoked his cheek endearingly. He was startled, staring down at me with a confused look on his face. It never failed to amuse me when he didn’t know how to react when I showed affection.

“You shouldn‘t act so recklessly.” I could feel a warming sensation in my chest and I closed my eyes. “Now is not your time to leave.” Hitsuchi warned, using his chakra to slowly suture up the ragged rip in my flesh. My arm tingled and I knew he was touching me up there too.

“What are you doing?” Gaara stared at my slowly healing wound, his mouth quivering.

“It’s not me.” I clenched my teeth as my wound started to burn. “It’s the dragon inside me. Remember, if I die, he does too.“ I smiled awkwardly, “Apparently, he’s not ready to pass on yet.” Suddenly it scared me to realize how close to dying I had actually been if Hitsuchi felt the need to step in and save me. Something in which I knew he wouldn’t do if he didn’t need to. “Damn, that hurts.” I growled.

“People claim to have seen Leaf ninja around the time of the explosion.” He said suddenly, forcing me to open my eyes.

“But it wasn’t them!” I shouted and he nodded hastily.

“Obviously!” He closed his eyes in frustration. “But nobody else knows about the two dragon beasts that are sealed within you two. Nobody even knows who you are let alone who he is. What am I supposed to do?” I put my head back in his lap, returning my attention on blocking out the pain. Now would have been a good time to pass out.

“This war is inevitable so it seems.” Somewhere in the distance the lone cry of a night bird pierced the sky sadly.