Pixie Dust

Two

Dean woke with a start, the sound of his phone vibrating on the bedside table shocking him out of his sleep. And thank god for that, he thought, he was having the worst dream ever. The phone shut off causing Dean to slump back into a nap. He didn’t get far into his snoozing when his bladder all but screamed at him to be emptied. With an exaggerated sigh Dean rolled over, and fell off the bed and onto the floor with a thump.

His eyes shot open, his cheek pressed to the carpet in fear. He scrambled to his feet, his hands patting his chest down as he searched his body frantically before he froze, his arm reaching over his shoulder and gripping something paper thing and rough; like a maple leaf. His eyes grew wide as he felt the entities that grew out from his shoulder blades. Rushing for the bathroom, Dean breathed heavily and quickly before he stepped in front of the mirror and stared in muted fright.

“What in the god damn world happened to me?” He turned to the side and goggled at the pair of wings that twitched at his back. ”Take to long and stuck you’ll be, for all eternity, just like me.”

“Holy crap.” Dean panicked, grabbing a hold of the tip of one of the wings and with great force, tugged. He screamed, letting it go as he doubled over, slumped over the sink as fiery pain ebbed down the side of his back. He looked up into the mirror, his skin pale and clammy as if he was bleeding out, while the wings perched at the tips of each of his shoulder blades, fluttered and made chiming noises.

“Oh god, please no.” He splashed water over his face and neck, his heart beginning to race before he went back into the main area of his motel room and searched for his fathers’ journal. Flicking through it quickly, he found nothing that could be of use and threw it over his shoulder before sighing and rubbing his hand over his mouth. When his phone vibrated on the bed side table again, Dean jumped and shook his head at how edgy he was. Reaching over to grab his phone, he looked at the display number and sighed.

‘Sam calling….’

Dean put his phone on the bed next to him and let it ring out as he covered his face with his hands. Thankful when the vibrating shut off, Dean made for the fridge in hopes of a cold beer and sighed in relief when he found one. He took the first gulp and groaned in satisfaction before he leaned against the kitchenette counter and stared at his phone. ” Tell him why you really left.”

“It was just a dream.” Dean shook his head, but grabbed his phone and flipped it open. Scrolling down his contacts, he searched out the only person he knew he could trust with this and knew would help him out and come as soon as possible, and with answers. The phone rang three times before a gruff voice picked up.

“Yeah?”

“Hey Bobby, it’s me. Dean.” Dean cleared his throat and sat. He was in for a lecture.

“Boy have you got any idea how worried I’ve been? How worried Sam’s been? You dropped off the face of the earth; we thought you might have been thrown back in the pit. You don’t call; you don’t answer your damn phone. You just up and disappear? What the hell’s the matter with ya’?”

“It was easier for me to just go Bobby.”Liar.

“A warning would have been nice.”

“Can’t talk about that right now, Bobby I need your help.” Dean rubbed his forehead and pressed his fingers to his eyes. How the hell was he going to explain this?

“Oh now you need my help? What about Sam, Dean? He’s been pretty messed up ever since you took off. He’s been drinking. The idjit thinks I haven’t noticed, I’m old not stupid. The smell alone would have given him away. He stinks like a walking bottle of whiskey.”

“He’s drinking whiskey now?” Dean laughed before going silent again.

”What’s so important that you can’t return our calls or at least let us know you’re alright?”

“I just needed space to think, I had to get away.” ’Learn to be truthful. Hold no secrets.’ Yeah, like it was that easy.

”Well okay, don’t cry on me boy. What do you need help with?”

“Something ah,” Dean paused when he heard Sam’s questioning voice in the background, asking who it was and if it was Dean. “It’s an old friend of yours needing some advise.”

”It’s,” Bobby stalled before sighing and holding the phone away for a moment. “An old friend of mine, needs help with a case. Sorry Sam.” Dean listened and felt his heart drop when he heard his brothers chocked off reply. ”You wanna tell me why I’m lying to your own brother for you?”

“No, not really.” Dean rubbed the back of his neck.

”Well then why the hell did you call me?”

“I told you, I need your help.” Dean got up and gulped down more beer as he made for the bathroom mirror again.

”Well what the hell is it? It better be important. If you’re not sprouting a second head or something I’m telling Sam.”

“I’ve got wings.” Dean blurted out. Well that was a step in the direction of being truthful.

”Excuse me? Do you think I’m some kind of idjit? Boy, I didn’t come down in the last shower-”

“I’ve got wings Bobby, I’m not kidding. I was hunting; well I thought I was hunting. It was a dream…I think. But what ever it was, I woke up with damn wings and I can’t get this damn poem or something out of my head. I think I’m going crazy. I mean, I’ve got wings for god sake, I have to be insane. I tried looking in dad’s journal, found nothing. I tried the books I have and found squat. But while searching I couldn’t shake the feeling that I wasn’t going to find the answer in a book. And that’s just crazy because every thing’s in books. Then I thought, well what if it isn’t? Then I thought, Bobby would know. So I avoided Sam's call, obviously drunk call, and rang you. Bobby, I need your help, I have wings!” Dean gasped in air and once he’d settled down a moment, stood straight and waited while staring at the wall.

”Wings?”

“Yes.”
”What kind?”

“What the hell difference does it make? I have wings! I shouldn’t have wings of any kind!” Dean shouted and gasped in air. He was losing his mind.

”Well don’t get snappy with me, I’m trying to help. Where are you?”

Dean rattled off the address before sighing. “Please don’t tell Sam, and don’t bring him.”

”If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were breaking his heart.” Truthful as a damn flower.

“He’ll understand. Just please,” Dean rubbed his eyes again and cringed as his new appendages flickered and made twinkling noises behind him. “Please hurry Bobby.”

”I’m on my way. I’ll be there as soon as I can be. Try not to do anything stupid.” And with a gruff bye, Bobby hung up and Dean stood silent in the dodgy motel room with the phone still pressed to his ear.