Status: In Progress

Thief Magic

In Meadow Vale, there are three crimes deemed the lowest of low: Murder, Infidelity, and Thievery.

Lium would never take a human life, and to betray his god is a sure way to earn a spot in the deepest pits of the Dark World. But when a mysterious depression sweeps across the land, not even Lium's family is spared. Where he once had food on the table every night, he finds himself weak and hungry.

So he steals.

Three times, he sneaks away from home to steal from the town's baker. And when he's caught, he's more scared than he's ever been in his life, for he's unintentionally dragged his sister, Em, into his life of crime.

When the townspeople riot and scream for the usual stoning, Lium and Em mysteriously vanish, saved by kids just like themselves who use an illusive form of trickery and slight of hand to be masterminds at their craft: Theft.

For awhile, Lium enjoys the life of a pickpocket, living fat and rich off the wealthy. Even Em finds herself becoming a spy for the guilds leader, a handsome young boy she's just dying to please. But as they grow to become masters in thievery, they notice something even more dangerous. Missing members, friends, and reports of people being slaughtered for their jewels.

The unsettling rumors and growing greed of their new family leads them to suspicion, and ultimately their need for escape. Escape, however, is not on the guild's agenda, and it will take everything Lium and Em have learned to finally free themselves.