Status: oneshot.

Silly Child.

1/1

A lot of people have wondered why I do what I do. They wonder what it is I could possibly want with children that are not my own, why I steal them away from their worlds, their parents, and keep them for myself. The cat had an interesting theory. What was it he said? Oh yes.

“She wants something to love, I think. Something that isn't her. Or, maybe she'd just love something to eat.”

I may be many things, but a cannibal isn’t one of them. I do not eat the children. Not their actual bodies, anyways. I prefer souls.

You may be wondering how I can stand to do such a thing. How can I stand to spy on children and find their wants and their needs, how can I stand to tempt them into my world, pamper them with their wildest dreams, trick them into staying with me, and then steal their souls to keep myself alive? But truly, is the blame to be put entirely on me? You must take into consideration other things.

For instance, the parents. The children wouldn’t come so willingly if their own parents hadn’t neglected them, abandoned them and not realized what little darlings they hold in their possession.

And the children themselves must hold some responsibility. Children are brats, you know. They have so much for them in their homes, so much that they don’t realize. Not that I am complaining, of course. Just observing the truth. It’s so easy to tempt them, to lure them in. A little treat here, a small gift there, until everything has piled up upon them and they are happier than they could ever be.

That’s where the real trickery comes in. This is where my skills of craftiness and smooth-talking come into play. To stay in my world, the children must make a choice. They must allow me to replace their eyes with buttons.

Yes, I know, how horrid of me! How could I force such a choice upon young children? What kind of despicable monster am I?

The one who wants to stay alive, that’s what kind.

You see, I need these children. Without them, I cannot survive. Their souls feed me, give me life and strength. The souls of children past give me the power to create dream worlds for the children of the present. Of course, I do have help in creating these dream worlds.

The rats are my biggest help. I’m sure you knew that. They are my spies. They tell me everything I need to know about the children beforehand. This helps me create the dolls.

The dolls were an idea I fashioned years ago. If I were to create a doll in the child’s image, it would intrigue them. They would carry the doll with them and help me see into their world; give me enough glimpses to create their own personal paradise. The rats tell me what they look like and I put them together myself, crafting them to be exact in their image. Then I send them off, letting them fall into the hands of the prey- ahem. The children. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I’m sorry. I must be boring you. All this talk of capturing children and stealing their souls and I haven’t even introduced myself yet!

I am the other mother. Won’t you stay for awhile? It would be nice to have some company. It gets awful lonely around here.

Oh, no. Of course I won’t steal your soul, silly child. I won’t need to, if you just allow me to do one little thing. Quite simple, really. All I need is to give you these buttons, and then you can be happy.

You don’t want to? Silly child. You will see in time that you will want to. They all want to. They say that the proudest of spirits can be broken with love. And darling, I have plenty of that.
♠ ♠ ♠
concrit?