Whale's Cove

The New Begining

I cried out when the rocking ship tossed me from my hammock. Scrambling from the floor I teetered on my feet when the ship gave another turn.

What’s going on?

Moving as quickly as I could I exit the room to find complete and total chaos. The men were running and sliding on the ship’s wet deck, trying to tie down the sails and make sure everything would stay on the ship. Rain splattered against everything, ripping across flesh as if it was straight from hell. The sky was dark with angry clouds, effectively cutting out the moon. I searched the ship for John, finally locating him at the wheel trying to navigate through the storm.

I dash from my room, trying to stay out of everyone’s way. I was almost to the stairs that led to the deck he was on when the ship gave another tilt, sending me to crash into the railing. I was about to push myself forward again, but right next to me a whale breeched. The Orca stayed suspended for a few seconds as my eyes locked with his.

Oh no. Please, not again.

When the whale descended back into the water I looked up to find John staring at me with a horrified look. Just as the ocean sent another wave the ship rocked and with the combining force of the wave and the moving ship I tumbled into the water, sinking under the surface.

And just like before the world faded as I watched the whale swim to me.

~*~

“Hey! I think she’s waking up!”

I blinked against the bright rays of the sun, my drenched body soaking up the warmth.

“Give her room! Everyone back so she can breathe!”

Opening my eyes I see a familiar face. Isn’t that one of the crewmen from John’s ship? Maybe they were able to save me before the waves took me too far under!

But why is he clean?

“Hey, don’t move to fast now; you were under for quite some time.” The man said again.

I frowned, his accent was different. Sitting up I recognize my ship and the little boy who had asked me about the fog. I’m back. Back to the twenty-first century and woman’s rights! I smiled, but it didn’t last long when I realized I would never see John again.

“It’s a good thing this young man was here. When he saw you fall into the ocean he dived in right after you. Pulled you up and brought you back to the living he did.” The man boasted.

Looking to my right I feel shock run through me as I see John, those damn butterflies acting up again.

“John?” I whispered

He frowned, “How’d you know my name? Oh, wait!” he snapped his fingers, “You have a list of the names of everyone on the boat, huh?”

I swallowed and nodded, not sure if I should tell him exactly how I knew his name. I grabbed his hand as he helped me up, steadying me when I stumbled as the ship gave a tiny roll.

“That’s a pretty necklace.”

I looked up to see him staring at my chest, not my necklace.

Yup, this is definitely John.

When he saw me watching he gave a nervous laugh, “Sorry, couldn’t help myself.”

As the ship’s passengers laughed I smiled.

Damn, did the future just get better?