Status: pauseee,

Broken Keys

Now I Remember Where I've Seen Him

My hands shook as I turned of the flat iron, bats flying in my churning stomach. My head was spinning, and my knees were weak.

I‘m going to be sick to my stomach.

My hair fell in front of my face as I laced my shoes, making me quickly fix it before it got too messy. Everything has to be perfect.

"Lily? Are you ready?" My mother called from downstairs.

I took a shaky breath. "Y-Yeah!" I grabbed my folder of endless sheet music and ran downstairs, making sure not to trip on the last step. Mom was already there, grabbing her keys as I stumbled down the steps.

She looked over me, smiling rather proudly. "You look great."

I gave her a nervous smile, putting my arm over my stomach. "I don't feel too great."

She laughed lightly, patting my back. "Don't worry. Once you start playing, you'll forget all about your nerves."

"I hope so." I said in a shaky breath.

Image

"There's so many." I whispered, looking at the endless amount of kids around my age all walking into the school. Some were with their parents, some alone. And some looked like they were with their siblings, or grandparents. All praying for one thing: to get into this school.

Everyone was nervous. Anyone with eyes could see that. It was clearly shown across our pale faces. This was the most nerve-wracking thing I've ever done in my life. My shoes made a click!ing sound as I pounded them on the tile floor below me, walking into the crowded building.

Potential students were everywhere. On each side of the halls, practicing their pieces with the ones they came with. Some parents were scolding their kids on how he had gone just a little too low for his piece, instantly grounding him for a week because of it. Instrument cases were everywhere on the ground, open and empty. The instruments were in the people's hands, being played wonderfully. A mix of all the instruments somehow managed to make a sweet tune as my mother and I walked through the hallways.

Teachers were calling out kids' names in groups, and they all eagerly and nervously walked in the room, praying to God they would make it in. A few came out of their room, crying because they didn't make it in, or they known they had screwed up the audition. It was tough to get in. No doubt about that. You had to be a musical prodigy to make it.

After Mom and I had found my room, we sat in between to families, who were equally nervous as we. I bounced my leg up and down nervously, out of habit, as I chewed my lip. I was up next. I knew it. Four auditioners and me were up after the previous group. I was getting more and more nervous and the seconds ticked by.

"Lily Andrews?" I heard someone gasp lightly.

I turned my head, seeing one of my group mates staring at me in awe. He was definitely hott. His straight brown hair was brushing just above his blue-green eyes. His face was hott, but not exactly Abercrombie & Fitch model material. His hands were definitely piano hands. Long, boney yet strong fingers with a big palm. His body was toned, but not overly muscular. And he looked to be about six foot. He was gorgeous.

I gave him a small smile. "Yes?"

He blinked, swallowing nervously. "N-Nothing. It's such an honor meeting you though. You're a legend at my house. A real prodigy."

I grinned widely, my cheeks turning hot from the blush that was creeping up. "Thank you so much."

"Are you auditioning? Man, I have no chance against you. You'll for sure make it in."

I blushed even more. "Thanks, but you don't know that. Anything could happen. Well, seeing as you know my name, what's yours?"

"Aiden." He grinned, holding out a perfect piano hand.

"Pleasure to meet you, Aiden." I smiled.

"Pleasure's all mine, Lily." He smiled a toothy grin back, his dimples indenting on his cheeks. He had the cutest dimples ever on a guy.

"Group three, up now!" A man said, holding a clipboard in his hands.

Aiden and I jumped, nervously, fear in our eyes.

Mom patted my knee, giving me a large smile. "Make me proud, my flower."

I shrugged as I stood up, my knees still weak. "Always have."

Image

"The piano is the heart and soul of an orchestra. It's the pure melody of a one's life. You must feel it through your pulsing veins! A piano can have the scariest melody in a piece, but the sweetest melody in the next measure." Carmichael, the piano instructor, said as the five us all played the same intense piece in sync. I could hear someone just a note behind, and I hoped to God it wasn't Aiden. He was such a nice guy.

Gosh, this piece is intense. I mean, sure, it's not the hardest piece I've ever played, but it sure beats a lot of them. And this is only auditions?

I let out a long sigh of relief as the final notes rung out through the room. The five of us looked at Carmichael, waiting for him to give us another piece. He stopped at my piano, leaning in it with his arms, looking at the five of us nervous auditioners. He looked down at me, then looked at his clipboard. His eyebrows raised, then looked back at me. "It seems we have a celebrity here."

I gave him a small smile, shaking my head. "No, sir, today I'm just auditioning to attend Hollywood Fine Arts, like everyone else

He gave me a smile, then looked out to everyone. "You all did spectacularly."

We all grinned from ear to ear. That was amazing news.

Carmichael sighed. "But, as you know, sadly we can't choose all of you. There are cuts."

I looked at my fingers, my heartbeat speeding up. What if I'm not good enough? What if it was me who was a note behind?

"Well, we'll see. I hope to see at least one of you during the year." He smiled, mainly looking at me.

I sighed, standing up and walking slowly out the room. Mom stood up immediately once she saw me, worry and anxiousness clear across her face.

"Well?" She whispered.

I looked at my shoes, dragging my foot along the tile. "Well…he recognized me."

I knew she was smiling right after I said that; I didn't have to look up. Usually when I say that, or something like it, she knows-and I know-that I got what I auditioned for.

Clearly, as you can guess, I am famous.

A prodigy as everyone calls it. For the piano, yes, but I can sing too.

At age five I had Mozart down. I could play anything my parents had showed me just once, perfectly. Beethoven was soon next, and I could easily recite it. And another pianist, and another, and another. Until I soon could play any piece known to man. By age eight, I was already touring. Places and cities wanted to hear this 'amazing prodigy' at work. I've been to almost every city in America, and many countries in England. The News had done a segment on me, showing the world my talent. And almost instantly every newspaper, TV gossipers, and magazines all wanted to interview such a young musical genius. And as the years passed, I got even better and better, practicing four hours a day because of my mother, signing any piece of paper, napkin, article of clothing, and sometimes the occasion body part that was shoved in my face. I did every interview, answered every question. I met with many celebrities, and sometimes played for them. I met the President after putting on a show for him and his family. I've done it all. You name it, I've done it.

A prodigy. A musical genius. That's what they call me.

And now, since I've decided I'm pausing the touring and interviewing and so forth, I want to continue my schooling, starting at my freshman year.

I've gotten in. I already know I have. Carmichael gave me a look saying I already made it. Hell, I could've just given him my name and he would have accepted me.

"Come on. I'll go get you that cheeseburger." She said, smiling proudly at me.

The corners of my lips twitched up for a second, giving her a small smile. "Okay."

We walked back down the crowded hallways, seeing more and more kids crying on their parents' shoulders on the sides of the hall, crying to them that they messed the audition up.

But, fortunately, some were rejoicing, screaming to their loved ones that they known they had gotten in already.

I bumped into something hard as I was about to exit the building, making me stumble backwards. "I am so sorry!"

"No, no, it was my fault." The person said.

I looked up from the floor to see a boy my age with brown curly hair, smiling a closed lip smile at me. Really familiar curly brown hair.

But, he was definitely hott also. His eyes were chocolate brown, easily hypnotizing anyone who looked into them. You could easily get lost in them, forgetting everything and everyone around you. He was tall. Really tall. Well, compared to me. I'm only five-two. He was a good eight inches taller than me. He was thin, and you could see the slightly V shaped body he had under his white V-neck. He was really hott.

But he looked really familiar for some reason.

He stared at me, wide-eyed. "Wow. Lily Andrews?"

I gave him a small smile. "That's me."

"Wow, you…it's an honor to meet such an amazing pianist such as yourself. Truly an honor." He smiled again.

I grinned. "Thank you so much. I'm Lily. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, too. I'm Nick Jonas." He said, shaking the hand that I offered.

I smiled, looking at the floor, then looking back up. Now I remember where I've seen him. "You mean the celebrity?"

He gave me a guilty smile. "Yep. Looks like I'm not the only celebrity here."

I blushed lightly. "Hardly. I'm not much of a celebrity."

He chuckled. "Humor me. You're as famous as it gets!"

"Lily, flower, let's go!" I heard my Mom call. I gave her a little wave, not moving my spot by Nick.

"So, what're you here for?" I asked him, truly curious. What was a celebrity like him doing at a school like this?

He smirked, running his large hand through his curly hair. "That seems to be the million dollar question, huh?"

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I was just curious." I said quickly, not trying to pry in his hectic life.

He shook his head. "No, don't worry. You weren't."

I sighed, biting my lip as he smiled at me.

"Okay, here's a deal for ya. If we both make it into this school, I'll tell you the real reason I'm here, how's that?" He smirked, looking at me.

I bit my lip to keep from smiling so much. "Deal."

He shook my hand, chuckling. "See ya later, flower."

My cheeks got hot, and I knew was blushing. "See ya, rockstar."

I let go of his hand and jogged to the car where my mom was impatiently sitting in the driver's seat.

"Who was that?" She asked, pulling onto the freeway.

I looked at my fingers, fiddling with them as my cheeks got hott. "Nick Jonas actually."

"The Disney star?"

I nodded. "Yeah…he's auditioning to go to Hollywood Fine Arts, matter-of-fact."

"How come?"

I laughed lightly, shrugging. "I have no idea."
♠ ♠ ♠
coooooommmmmeeeeennnntt [;