Light Years Away

Light Years Away

I can feel you breathing, as I lie awake. I am facing the wall, and I can feel your heat on my back. I’m tempted to curl into your side, but I know how you like your space. Still, the soft rise of your bare chest entices my mind, and it's all I can do not to turn over to ogle your existence, allowing myself to actually see it.

It's early morning. The gray sky is illuminated, and seeping through the window. The blinds hide most of the light, but the window is cracked, enabling the cold spring air to fill the bedroom. The blind is also retraced a couple inches more than usual to keep the air flow moving.

Goosebumps are raised on my skin, I’m cold, but I don’t know if it’s because of the temperature, or the fact that I can feel your presence. I close my eyes and breath in deeply. The gray sheets come up to my hips on my naked body. I can’t be bothered to move to pull the duvet up around my almost shivering frame, I am much too content just lying here in a dreamy daze.

I can feel movement. Your stretching, lying onto your back and elongating you’re tall, skinny body. You let out a muffled groan, and I smile, happy you’re the first thing I hear. Normally it’s much too early for me to be up, but I can’t sleep through these moments with you.

You lie still for a second, before I feel your arm wrap around my middle, and you lips touch the back of my neck. You warmth is hitting me full force, I can feel it. A shivers runs down my spine, as I push back into your unclothed body, needing to be in a closer proximity. Your arm tightens around me, and you whisper in a sleep laced voice, “Ella, I didn’t wake you, did I?”

I take a second to answer, listening to the sound of your voice so intently I almost miss the words. Taking a breath in I answer with a quite, “No, baby, you didn’t.”

Your arm tightens around my middle, and I feel your head lift. I feel a kiss placed on my shoulder, and then the side of my neck. I feel two scratchy legs touch, and entwine with my smooth ones. I feel a kiss placed on my jaw line and I whisper your name hoarsely, “Sam.”

The fire is then lit. I press back into you, and roll into your touch. Roaming hands wander all over my body, and my hips buck involuntarily. My breath is caught in my throat and as I moan quietly, I lose control of the situation. I turn over in haste to kiss your lips, the lips that I crave --oh, so much.

But you’re not there. My imagination has betrayed me yet again, and the cold is nipping at my body. The surprise suffocates me, as I bury my head into the pillow, trying to forget the vividness of your touch. This will happen over and over. There is no pale chest to lie on, or heat of another to keep me warm.

It kills me to say, but you’re light years away.