Status: Slow But Sure

I'm Adopted: Vengeance Edition.

76

Matt's POV

"Hello?"

A woman, dark black hair, blue eyes, about the same height as me, opened the door. I looked at Zack and he stared "Is... Is Jaclyn Baker-..." He paused and sighed "Hanson? Is Jaclyn Hanson here?"

"Uhm... who's that?" She asked, leaning on the door fram.

"First off, who are you?" I asked.

She looked me up and down "Well considering you're standing in my doorway, I should have the right to know who the hell is asking."

"Your doorway?" I asked "This is Jackie's condo-"

"Oh, you mean the meth head that lived here before me?" She laughed "God, ya no. Her and her stupid ass junkie roomie got evicted like two weeks ago."

"Whered they go?" Zack asked.

"Hell I'd know. I just got the story from the guy two houses down, apparently they used to fuck or something... so.. who are you?" She asked.

"Her brother." Zack spoke up, she looked him over.

"I see. Well, that's all I know. She's out of here, and hopefully not just dead in a gutter." She laughed under her breath "Good luck though, that shit sucks. I lost two cousins and like six friends in highschool to heroin and meth-"

"She doesn't do meth." I snarled.

"Really? Because that's what they found during the police raid that got them evicted." She crossed her arms.

"So what's your name?" I asked.

"Alex." She smiled "Alex Smith. Listen, I'd love to hear your sister's life story but I have shit to do, people to go piss off. Drugs to sell." She smirked "Not really. But I gotta go, sorry. Good luck finding her. The guy over there," She pointed a few doors down "He might know more. His names Taylor, nice kid actually."

"Thanks." Zack turned abruptly and stomped away, I quickly found the brain cells to move and followed him. "Fucking evicted." He hissed under his breath as we stepped onto Taylor's porch, Zack rang the doorbell.

"Hey?" Taylor, an all too familiar face, appeared at the door "She's not here."

"Well ding dong we have a winner, where is she?" I asked.

"Probably in jail. Fucking morons got busted a few weeks ago. Kara's parents rented another condo but I didn't hear of them moving in yet, and Dustin doesn't know anything. Either they're laying low for now or they're locked up."

"Do you have Dustin's number?" Zack asked "I need to find out where she is... last time anyone saw her it was like a month ago."

"Yah, come on in." He ushered us inside where he grabbed a pen and paper "Here's his number, and Kara's parents too. And the last number I had for her cell phone, she changed it when they got evicted."

"Wow... thank you." I looked at the paper he placed in my hands "Thanks a lot."

"Yah, don't mention it. They're apparent condo is in Laguna, I guess Dustin heard. I mean, they could just be hiding. Or her parents have a beach house in San Pedro too.."

"Anywhere else?" Zack asked.

Taylor looked at the ceiling "Well Kara always talked about her cousin Devynne..."

"Where'd she live?" I asked.

"Petaluma."

I groaned "Really?"

"Ya, Kara's family's really spread out. She always talked about going to see her, so I mean... It's a six hour drive though, I wouldn't go." He laughed "But you two seem pretty determined."

"Not unless she's there." Zack looked at me as I nodded "We'll call, thanks Taylor."

"No problem dude."

We walked out of the house and Zack looked at me "Road trip?"

"A six hour impromptu road trip. Lovely." I laughed.

"How much do you love her?" Zack asked. I stopped, hand on the car door, and glared at him.

"I'd drive to fucking Japan for her."

"Well... good."