Status: Just created. Not sure yet.

Break All Your Rules

Accusations, don't know how to take them.

“You’re what?” My father’s voice was filled with venom, acid, and any other malicious substance you could think of.

“We’re going out,” I said calmly. I felt Mason’s arm around my shoulders and smiled at him. He hadn’t said a word to my parents other than a nice, polite greeting.

“You can’t be serious,” my mother protested. “But he’s a hooligan! He’s going nowhere in life!”

“I’m going to go to school for art & design. I want to design skateboard decks, have my own company, all that.” Mason’s voice never shook or faltered, and he smiled warmly at my stone-cold parents.

“Darling,” she continued. “You can do so much better.”

“I think I’m doing excellent right now, thank you. Mason likes me for who I am and understands that my studies come first. I’m also tutoring him in some subjects to help make that design dream come true.” I had no idea why I was talking so formally.

“How nice of you.” My father laughed. “I have no patience for dealing with lost causes.”

I felt Mason’s grip on my shoulder get a little tighter.

“Watch what you say – I care about him, Father, and I’m old enough to seek legal emancipation. You forget that I know numerous lawyers who would be more than willing to push my case through.”

“You couldn’t survive if you were cut off, sweetheart. Truly.”

“She could, I know it. She’s got enough brains to go out and get a job, work for her money, and curb her expenses. She doesn’t eat much, she doesn’t use excessive amounts of water or electricity, so she’d be set in a cheap apartment.” Mason pulled me close. “And if she didn’t want a cheap apartment, I know somebody in my family would be glad to take her in.”

“Where do they live, the ghetto?” my father sneered.

Mase stood up. “You’re crossing the line, sir. You can insult me all you like, but tearing down Fiona and my family? Yeah. Not standing for it.”

“Silly boy, I could have you arrested this very minute. I don’t think the police would need any reason from me – the fact that you’re standing here is certainly enough.”

I stood up. “Stop it!” I screamed, scaring everyone in the room. “Mom, Dad, I’m dating him. That’s final, that’s not gonna change. Mason, don’t get yourself in trouble.” I pushed him into his seat gently. “This is verbal abuse, and I’m sure DSS would love to hear about it.”

My parents paled. “But what have we ever done to you?”

“You talk constant shit about Mason and how he’s not who you want me associating with.” My eyes widened at my use of profanity, but I continued. “He’s who I want to associate with, and I don’t want to be anywhere near you. I will stay in this house. I will abide by my curfew. I will keep my grades up. But I want nothing to do with you until you admit that you were wrong and that you’re sorry. Not a word.”

“And that’s what it would take to prevent a call in to DSS or your departure?” My father poured himself a rather large glass of brandy.

“Yes.”

“Fine then, Fiona. Go run off. And I hope you enjoy not talking to us for the rest of your life.”

“Oh, I will.”

I marched out of the room, pulling a startled Mason along behind me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooooh snap. :)
Sorry for the update drought. My laptop used to be my mom's, and it has two desktops. All of this was saved on her desktop, which she had passworded. Don't worry, this is the last update saved on that one.
I'll get an update out ASAP, but right now I have two other stories that I'm working on and they're flowing a lot smoother.
Sorry. :)