The Devil's Temptation

chapter quatre

I looked at him in disbelief. Did I want to be a showoff? In the back of my mind I pictured me falling on my ass looking like a complete idiot.

"Are you serious?" I nervously laughed. Avery chuckled and walked over to the window. He flicked his cigarette, ashes falling to the ground.

"It's okay, you don't have to," he said, with a kind smile. He looked sincere, and I let out a deep breath. I didn't even know I was holding my breath. I got up and walked over to the window, throwing my cigarette out. It probably still had a few more puffs but I'm not really a smoker. I didn't enjoy it, yet I didn't hate it. Maybe it could be an occasional thing for me.

"So what else do you do? Besides cheerleading?" he asked me. I didn't know what to say. He made me feel so nervous, so unlike myself.

"Hang out with friends," I stuttered. "You know normal teenage shit," I shrugged. He flashed a grin as usual and took another drag of his smoke.

"Hey, there's a party down at the old abandoned building Friday night. You know the one in the woods behind the student parking lot," he said. The way he said it, it felt like I just couldn't say no. It was impossible. Nor did I want to.

"Uh, sure," I smiled. "Sounds like fun," I said awkwardly. My usually good social skills were not working today. I wanted to know what was running through his mind. What did he think of me? Was I boring? Was I interesting? Interesting? Yeah right. I silently laughed to myself at the thought of it.

Avery's cell phone went off and he said, "Sorry, I need to take this. Be right back." He got up and walked into his bathroom of his dorm, leaving the door half open. I could hear bits and pieces of his conversation.

"I need it....fourty....don't back down...just hurry...thanks," and with that, he hung up. "Shit, I'm sorry Alanna, but I need to run," he frowned. I nodded and got my bag that I brought with me. I was about to open the door to leave when he stopped me. "Let me walk you to your room."

"Okay," I gulped with a smile. Inside I was ecstatic, yet scared shitless.

We walked outside into the courtyard when he said, "So Friday night's still on, right?"

"Yup," I nodded.

"How about I meet you at your dorm at eight?"

I nodded again, not being able to form words. I hated the effect he had on me. I felt like I wasn't in control of myself. Yet, I loved being in his presence. I wanted to soak all of him up, hear his alluring voice ring in my head.

We walked up the stairs in the girls building in silence. It wasn't awkward, but I was aware of my every move. I didn't want to fall or do something idiotic. When we got to my room, he leaned against the door frame.

"Well it was nice hanging out," I smiled. I heard a unintentional flirty tone in my voice.

"Yeah, I can't wait for Friday," he grinned. Avery reached out his hand and took a piece of my hair. He curled it around his finger and said, "Anytime you want a smoke break or anything, just stop by." And just when I thought my heart had stopped he said, "I don't mind your company." I hadn't noticed how close he had gotten to me, I could feel his breath on my face. He was slowly leaning in, and I felt myself following. And before I knew it, our lips, locked onto each other's.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, you didn't have to wait super long for this chapter. I feel like this kinda sucked though. I haven't been in the best mood lately and this might be affecting it. Sorry. Anyway, I hope to update again soon. Enjoy.