Sequel: The Beat Goes On

After Tonight

Making Arrangements

The four months after that infamous Christmas party went by quickly. My family’s trip to Colorado went off without a hitch. When Rob and I officially announced our engagement, everyone was thrilled. After the media got wind of it, even more people were thrilled—though judging from some internet blogs, I knew not everybody was thrilled.
But the cherry on top was when Rob's mom called me to apologize. She said she felt horrible about the ways things had gone atour last meeting. I forgave her instantly, wanting to put it all behind us.
In our spare time, we planned the wedding. Mmm correction, I planned the wedding. Rob said the only things he cared about were that it had to be outside and that we’d both be there on time.
The last one was obviously a joke.
We settled on July. Both of our schedules were clear for the month and it worked out perfectly. Nothing too big, nothing fancy by any means. Grace bought me a wedding book where I could jot down all of my information and keep important clippings. After much deliberation, I picked my colors.
It was all going according to plan.

Rob’s P.O.V.
Time had flown since our engagement went public. For a while, the only things I got in my postbox were letters from fans that my agent forwarded. The majority of them were of the congratulatory nature, while the rest of them, well I’d rather not discuss those ones.
With Eclipse coming out in November, the media was hounding me more than usual. I went to interview after interview and special appearance after special appearance.

As I sat on a terribly uncomfortable bar stool, my mobile rang.
“When are you going to be on?” It was Abbey. “They’ve been announcing a ‘special interview with Robert Pattinson’ all night, but it just goes to something else about the Jonas Brothers. I had no idea they were still popular, did you?”
“Who?” A younger woman rushed over to me and patted my face with something powdery. A light cloud appeared in front of me and I closed my eyes. God I hated that. “Love, I think it’s time. Gotta go!
I hung up and hastily stuffed my phone inside my pocket. The lights around me had gotten brighter and the camera crew had moved in. Someone offered me a glass of water but I declined.
“Hi Robert, it’s good to see you again.” A blonde woman shook my hand. I felt really bad that I’d completely forgotten her name.
“Always a pleasure.” I smiled and straightened up a bit.
This interview segment with Entertainment Tonight would be the fifth one that month. Weren’t people getting sick of my face yet?
“I’m here tonight joined by our special guest, Robert Pattinson.” I waved. “So tell us, Rob, you’re promoting the third movie in the Twilight saga, Eclipse. How much has changed since you were first here talking about Twilight?”
“Oh wow.” I ran a hand through my hair. Inside my flat, Abbey was laughing—she said I did it at least five times an interview. “A lot. Well, for one—the fans have gotten older” The interviewer laughed. “But uh, the screaming is the same. It still scares me to death, but you know, a lot has changed in the sense that more roles have become available to me and—”
“And you’re engaged? Isn’t that right?” Wow, a whole minute before she brought up Abbey.
“Uh yeah, yes that’s correct.” I smiled.
“Are you excited?” What an absurd question.
“Yeah, of course I am! A little scared, but, er, yeah.”
“Do you and your fiancé, Abbey? Do you plan on staying where you’re at, or is there a move in the future?”
“Well, uh, she’s not really something I want to discuss. I prefer to keep that kind of stuff out of the public eye. As best I can, of course.”
“Have there been a lot of problems with the paparazzi? I know there was that incident with your dog a few years back, yes?”
This woman would not let me off the hook.
“Er, yeah. Wow, that was a while ago. But um, yeah it gets a little ridiculous sometimes. We try and ignore it.” Crisis averted.
“What about that fiasco with pictures of your fiancé with, who was it, her ex-fiancé?” Apparently not.
“That was a big misunderstanding and it’s over with.”
“Obviously!” She laughed, and I smiled, itching my chin. My, this was uncomfortable. “But isn’t there something you could let your fans know about what’s going on in your life? Any kids in the works? Anything at all—everyone is dying to know.”
“Ha, no. No kids.”
“What about your fiancé, is she at home watching this?”
“Yes, she is.” Without thinking, I waved at the camera. The woman laughed and I couldn’t help but do the same. I ran my fingers through my hair, ready for the next question.
“Well you’ve broken a lot of teenage hearts over the years, Rob.” I hated when people said that. “How was it filming for the third time? Was everyone in the cast excited to get together once again.” Finally, something I was prepared to answer.
“Oh, without a doubt. We’ve all gotten close over the years—it’s pretty cool. I’ve never been able to do that with a film before.”
The interview went on. I was asked about the new director, the fight scene and random things about the book. I just wanted to get home—Abbey and I had a movie date. Technically it wasn’t a date date, but we’d been wanting to see this Clint Eastwood film forever and finally had a chance to rent it. Abbey left a Post-It note on the bathroom mirror that said she’d start it without me if I wasn’t home by nine.
“Well that wraps up our interview.” The woman reached over and shook my hand again. “Thanks for being here with us tonight, and best of luck with your engagement.”
“Thank you.” I smiled once again and waited for the signal.
I was finally out of there.

“I can’t believe you waved.” Abbey jumped up from the couch. “I’ve never been waved to on national television before!”
“Glad to check something off your To-Do List then.” I grinned, my body tingling as she grabbed my face for a kiss. The cool metal of her ring slid across my cheek.
“You waited for me, yeah?” I looked at the television. It was a commercial for some super strength glue that apparently held parachutes together. My ass. I would never knowingly jump out of a plane with a parachute that had been glued.
“You just made it.”
“Traffic was a nightmare.”
We nestled into the couch, bodies intertwined. The lights were out and Jude slept peacefully beside us. Abbey shifted against my chest and I held her closer. I could feel her chest rise and fall against my arms. I loved moments like this. And this was how I was going to spend the rest of my life.