Sequel: The Beat Goes On

After Tonight

Waiting

“Entertainment Tonight has the scoop on new daddy, Robert Pattinson! Pattinson and his fiancée were to be expecting their first child mid-December. Pattinson’s fiancée, Abbey Jones, checked into Lenox Hill Hospital on November 29 at one o’clock and gave birth to Ella Rae Pattinson at seven-fifteen that evening. Pattinson was seen leaving Lenox Hill with his baby girl three days later in the company of Jones' sister and a close friend of the couple. Word is Jones suffered a traumatic pregnancy and remains in ICU. Family and friends will help out the proud papa until Jones returns. We’ll have more on the story in the following weeks.”
The three of us stared blankly at the television screen as we saw ourselves leaving the hospital. Allie shook her head, dismayed. Grace cocked her head, secretly scrutinizing her first television appearance. I closed my eyes and thought of Ella. Not even a week old and she was already a celebrity. We’d been home for one day and had been relentlessly tortured by the world of entertainment media.
The paparazzi stalked the flat. Every time I took Jude out, I was bombarded.
“They’re merciless.” Allie sighed as she rocked Ella, who would not fall asleep. Whenever we put her down, she’d scream. When we picked her up, she stare at us all in silence. So we took turns passing her around. She, like myself, just wanted her mother.
Abbey remained stable, but her body continued to reject treatment. The doctor assured me countless times that this was typical in cases like Abbey’s. He said she would be fine. I would have believed him, but every time I went to Abbey’s room she was knocked out. I hadn’t spoken to her in days. If I could’ve had things my way, I would still be at the hospital but the doctors thought it would be best if I stayed with Ella.
I was going stir-crazy without her.
So stir-crazy in fact that Allie and Grace had become the main caregivers to Ella. I just couldn’t take it. One look at my little girl and I nearly went into a fit of hysterics. I tried as best I could but I was worn down and weary—it had gotten to the point where anytime I did try to take care of Ella, either of the two pushed me away and told me to get sleep or fresh air. Without Abbey I was completely useless.

“She’ll be here soon.” I was sitting in the rocking chair beside Ella’s crib. She’d finally gotten too tired to put up a fuss whenever we laid her down. “I promise…I should be able to promise that, right? I mean, if anything I should be able to make sure your mum is here. Jesus. She should be here. She will be.” I shook my head, shutting my mouth. Any alone time with Ella provoked circular ramblings. If anything, she thought I was completely mental.
I fell asleep soon after my near breakdown, only to be woken up by my mobile. It was the hospital.
“Hello?” I shouted anxiously into the phone. Ella emitted a soft cry beside me. “Hello? This is Robert Pattinson, who am I speaking to?”