Epica!

Lost & Damned Part I

There was no rest for Ariel. Somma would drain people of sleep slowly, as it's users spent more time in an induced trance. The feast had cleared of him of all the side effects of Somma, yet Ariel could still only sleep for a couple of hours at a time. He would repeatedly wake halfway through the night and be incapable of slumber again. But it wasn't so bad. He had finally slept soundly with Helena resting in his arms.

A slight smile tugged at the corners of her lips and Ariel knew she was must be having a pleasant dream. He lay with her with the sun gleaming brightly through the windows. There was not thought in his head, no worry, just the feeling of finally being alive that overwhelmed his every sense. There could be no thought, however, or the dream would shatter and he’d have to consider the consequences.

It was initially so easy. Thinking nothing and allowing himself to simply be there with Helena. Then it came down on him like death; the simple thought of spending an eternity in this very moment with Helena. Of wishing that he could spend forever holding her this close; allowing her heat to cloud his mind.

Ariel felt himself inexplicably drowsing. Like the beginning of dark and distant journey. Then he had the urge to go, somewhere, anywhere; he wasn’t thinking of eternity anymore. The feeling weightlessness disappeared and he was awake again.

He had to go. The sun was shinning brightly for once, and he longed to go outside. To see the real light instead of the false light of the fire. Ariel sat up and looked down on a still sleeping Helena. It seemed like such a crime to wake her. He'd come back when she was awake, he decided.

He dressed, putting on the clothes from the night before with urgency. He had to go. Ariel rushed outside making sure to scribble a quick note for Helena in case she woke before he returned.

Once outside, he overwhelmed by what he saw. He was astounded to find that fresh snow had fallen during the night. The powdery snow coated everything leaving no bench, or gutter untouched. He moved forward, admiring its purity before it turned brown with dirt and mud. Light crunches accompanied his every footstep and he was peacefully content.

He was going no where in particular, all he knew was that he had to go somewhere. He wasn’t sure where or understand why. He had been so utterly content with Helena, but now he was leaving and it hardly made sense, even if it was only for a short while. I won’t be long, Ariel told himself. I’ll be there when she wakes.. He just had something to do, somewhere to go.

Ariel wandered aimlessly around the streets of Salvo. The sun had just risen; the icicles gleamed warmly with the sun’s light. Some of the people began to emerge for the day, and went about their daily business. Some choose to return to their rundown shops to ensure that all their property was still in tact with all it’s meager goods and hope that no addicts came in as beggars that day. They had the reputation for turning violent when refused. Small fires could be seen in some alleys where the homeless boiled a warm soup made of garbage scraps for breakfast. They were the lucky ones. There was no doubt that dozens lay still in some forsaken alley stiff from the night’s bitter cold and hidden under the fresh white snow.

Ariel ignored all those around him, his coat shielded him from the chill. He went down the street as if he knew instinctually that was where he had to go. There was a small part of him that screamed at him; that shouted to return but he ignored it. He had to go. One foot before the other leading him back to her. He pushed back the blood red curtain on the entrance without hesitation and the stench of burning somma made the hairs in the back of neck stand on end.

It was empty, or maybe the soft moans emanating from the many rooms in the hallway just didn't excite him anymore. He walked straight through narrow hallway, accidentally bumping shoulders with a patron coming out of one the rooms - making sure that nothing had been taken from his pockets - then made a right. There at the end of the hall was the black door. Her door.

He reached for the gold painted knob and stopped. What are you doing? A voice finally emerging from the abyss once again. It wasn't loud enough. It wasn't strong enough. The knob turned painfully slowly, the springs in the mechanism clicking lightly into place.

The room was exactly the same; it always was. A black leather sofa on a tiled white floor and the mirror that covered the ceiling. The walls appeared black, but where coated in shadow so their true color remained ambiguous. The mistress of this room was no where in sight.

Ariel walked straight to the sofa as he had done before, but she was not there. A pair of spidery arms came up from him and began rubbing his chest. “I’m so glad you came to see me." her husky voice purred in his ear. She bit down on his earlobe and he flinched away.

"I don’t know why I’m here." he confessed stupidly rubbing the ear she had whispered in before noticing that Mistress Nine, for once, did not wear leather. She wore white breeches, with boots and a black long tailed coat. She reminded him of; he couldn't place it.

"Yes you do." she said advancing on him. "I called you here." she traced a long nailed finger over his jaw. Ariel took her wrist and lowered from his face.

"You called me here?" Ariel asked. "How?" Was that the reason why he had come? She had wanted him there and so there he was. Ariel frowned coming to the realization that he was not his own.

"Now, now Ariel. Don't concern yourself with such trivial things. You're here now." She came in close with a smile, but Ariel backed away repulsed placing his hand in front of him ready to push her away. She was nothing to him now.

But Mistress Nine was not one to take rejection lightly. In an instant her whip was in her hand, she effortlessly raised it over her head and brought it down hard. Ariel shut his eyes and placed an arm to shield his face expecting some kind of pain. The whip cracked thunderously loud in the empty room and it's echo lingered a few moments after. There was no pain.

When Ariel thought Mistress Nine had quelled her wrath, he looked at her for an explanation of her sudden outburst. But she was gone.

Something squeezed tightly at his chest. The woman in front of him; pale eyed, raven haired. "Helena?" His first thought was; what could she possibly be doing here? Then came the fear, fear that she had followed him to this place and she would leave him on the spot.

A dark smoky cloud hovered over him. It's smoky residue seeped into his nostrils clouded his thoughts. It whispered and urged him on; telling in a husky whisper that this was Helena.

She smirked and came at him and shoved him down on the sofa he was standing in front of. Her decisive arm wrapping around his neck and planting a savage kiss on him. She ground her hips onto his, desperately trying to incite something in him quickly. Ariel didn't move; it was all wrong, she was hard and empty. Her hair smelt so strongly of somma it made his head spin. Under his jacket, her claw-like hand ran up his chest and up to his shoulder where she expertly slipped it off his shoulder. She brought her arm down from his neck taking his jacket with it.

The whisper told him to continue, to ignore his doubts and fulfill his most primal carnal need. She was like the fire in his apartment, intense and hot, but false; real but not real, both at the same time. Ariel pulled away but she didn't relent, instead moving down to his neck; biting him lightly occasionally. "Just, just stop." said Ariel trying to gently push her away. His mind reeled like there was something trying to desperately take a hold him.

"Ariel. . " she moaned pulling him closer trying to incite him. Her voice was wrong in every way. Helena's was always sweet with adoration and full of longing. This person, they was hungry, urgent, desperate almost matching what the whispers wanted. When Ariel happened to glance up at the mirror he only saw himself, with a red headed woman.

He shoved her away, holding her a safe distance away. He looked at Helena again, only it wasn't Helena. The cloud vanished and provided him with clarity. His eyes had played a trick on him, it was Mistress Nine - fully clad in leather - who stood in front of him.

A menacing laugh escaped her lips. Shocked, Ariel pushed away with all the force he could muster. It didn't seem to phase her as she only took a few small steps back. "Oh, don't be so bland." she said with a pouting smile as she walked around him."She must have been some woman." she noted with a smirk and a hand his shoulder. Again he felt the cloud descend. "But I can be anyone for you love." she purred in his ear as she ran her hands down the length of his arms. "Make your wildest and most private fantasies come alive."

It was always hard to rebuke Mistress Nine. She had a way about her, the way she moved and spoke. Sensual in everything she did, even the most pious of men would break before her. Even now, Ariel could not help but be tempted by her. The way her nails grazed his skin as she moved them down his chest then up his spine. She rubbed her lips lightly over his shoulder.

"Just say the word and I'll make you forget your whore."

Ariel could only think of Helena and his fogged mind would think clearly again. Of her soft skin and the way it felt against his own. Her eyes; her icy eyes that emanated fire. They were both hot and cold at the same time. Her smile, sweet and full of life. Most of all, he thought of the way she could make him shiver simply by uttering his name in the silence of the night.

"She's not a whore," Ariel said softly with a smile. She was beautiful in every way. There was no one would ever compare or change his mind. Mistress Nine had no power over him anymore. No matter how hard she tried, she never would again. A short laugh escaped his lips and he turned away from her.

"Where do you think you're going?" she seethed from behind him. When she received no answer she unfurled her whip. "Get back here!" She brought her arm up and flicked her wrist effortlessly. Breaking the speed sound itself, the whip cracked but Ariel had already anticipated her. He lifted his hand as soon as he heard the crack and caught the barbed tipped whip in his hand before it wrapped around his throat.

"This trick of yours." he said pulling the whip hard. "It's getting old." The whip slipped from Mistress's Nine's hand before she had realized she failed ensnare her man. Ariel began to coil the whip.

"Yes punish me!" She purred in anticipation. Ariel had never been so repulsed both with her and with himself. How wondered how he had even stooped to her level.

"You really something else." Ariel said as he tossed the whip aside as he walked away for good. Never again, he promised himself.

"Come back." Mistress Nine screamed at his back. "You'll come back!! Crawling on your knees begging me to take you in!! You'll see!" Ariel was at the opposite end of the hallway and was about to turn away. "You'll see how worthless you really are on your own!" He was gone without even bothering to look back. "ARIEL!!"

Her blood curdling scream was stifled as her door slammed shut. Her great and mighty lord had appeared behind the door and shut it closed in agitation. "I wonder sometimes if you have any comprehensible sense of human logic, it that ether generated head of yours." he said calmly, silently seething. "Do you have any idea of what you did?"

Mistress Nine smiled. "And what is it I have I done?" she said with a sly smile edging closer to him while swaying her hips as she moved. "I exist only to bring pleasure as was your intention. Was it not?" His face was dark. There was nothing in his eyes, just darkness.

"I tore your shackles and brought you forth from the pit. I know your true name Asmodeus," he paced about the room "I gave you this form so you would obey, now he will grow cautious. I can not have his faith in me wavering. He must die believing only in me."

"Freed me? The pit is beautiful. . .Let him go about his way, he'll return. Then I'll just fuck away any doubt." She said and Mephisto stopped pacing. She wrapped her arms around his torso from behind gingerly rubbing his chest. "I just wanted to have some fun since you spurn me so." her hands slow crept lower, and lower.

"Impudent wench!" Mephisto roared. Shoving her back fiercely causing her to fall. He hovered menacingly over her. "I've no intrest in the follies of men." he paused before adding. "You’ve failed me."

“I’ve done no such thing!” she declared not daring to stand again. “Men are fickle, he will return.” she reaffirmed herself yet again.

“That moment written in his contract, the moment where if he reached ignorant bliss he would die. He was close this morning. So close. . " There was black death in his eyes. He loomed over her like predator descending on it's prey. "The pit growled in anticipation to be fed this soul but before he could realize the moment, you called him here! So that you could have your way! I came so near and you took from me my victory!”

“Your victory? Ha!" Mistiness Nine scoffed deciding it was safe to sit down on her leather sofa. "Every man is weak and susceptible to temptation, or so you declare." Mephisto continued to pace. "Up in his chambers it wasn’t one of mine. It was another. Another from his past who our friend remembers fondly, and one whose love for him is pure and untarnished by our sin. He was with her last night, and today he awoke more than willing to spend the rest of his life with her. Had he realized this you would have won his soul, but our poor unfortunate soul was not tarnished by our effort. It was a pure thought clouding his mind one that would not have brought you victory."

“Show her to me.” Mephisto ordered his authoritative tone making it impossible to rebuke him.

Mistress Nine led him to one of the dark corners of the room where an indentation on the wall revealed a small doorway that opened into a small windowless chamber. At it’s center was an alter made of wood with a large golden saucer on top. A bright flame lowly flickered over the saucer.

Words were mumbled in an ancient and dead tongue as Mistress Nine waved her and over the fire. Instantly the flicker roared to life in an all consuming fire that licked at the ceiling. Images flashed rapidly over certain parts. A flash there and another over there before they looked from the mantle on a lavish room decorated in reds and golds.

There on the floor rolled up in the white fur of the manticore lay a woman with black hair. Mistress Nine gazed into the fire, wondering how some ignorant girl could be such a torn at their side. As if too feel their gaze on her, the woman stirred in her sleep. She stretched out like a cat waking from it’s slumber and sat up. Looking around the room, she found a small note placed just on the sofa where it could be readily seen. She smiled then looked at the fire.

Her gaze somehow cut through the barrier and seemed to stare accusingly at them. Mistress Nine knew this wasn’t possible, yet she couldn’t quell the uneasy feeling.

“If you were lose this gamble, what will happen to lot of us?” she asked inquisitively. "I suppose we'd have to return to pit. I don't mind the brimstone. The screams are oh so enticing." She shivered as she spoke the fire from the saucer began to quell and the image began to fade.

"Don't you fret beast, I have no intention of failure. My father will realize that man is not worth his affections and I will return to his side victorious. You along with your siblings will be allowed to continue to wreak havoc on man. Our Ariel, he will break. At his lowest point he is most susceptible to my will."

"Pride has been your downfall my lord. But you if you intend to gamble away our freedom on the whim of a man then you'd best be having some insurance." Mistress Nine offered. Mephisto turned away from the dying fire, a wicked smile slowly growing.

"What do you have in mind?" he asked. Mistress Nine placed a sharp nailed hand on his shoulder.

"Allow me to pleasantly surprise you my lord." She purred.

"Do not disappoint me Asmodeus." Mephisto warned before adding, "Where is our dear Ariel at the moment?" Mephisto asked and Misstress Nine whipped her hand over the fire causing to roar back to life.

Ariel walked the streets of Salvo alone; his hands in his pockets for warmth. The town had woken from it's slumber. As he walked the lamp posts suddenly began to light themselves, gleaming with the strange fire. Others saw the lamps light up as well but paid no mind continuing about their business. Ariel figured it was normal though he had never been around when they were lit.

The town was bustling. People were setting up booths on the edge of the streets., many of which Ariel noted to be foreigners. Every so often he would spot someone from the feast. That glorious feast, it seemed to be spreading into Salvo. Even parents had allowed their children to wander away from the safety of their homes. Children were almost unheard of in Salvo, those who around were kept locked away from the town's influence.

Ariel called out to a group of children as they dashed by. One of them paused to look back, the others stopped with him. "What is all this?" Ariel asked.

"The festival of lights. Comes here every half decade. First one I'm old enough to see!" He exclaimed then turned back to his group. "Let's go see if they have sparklers!" The ran off laughing in joy. It was strange to hear children's laughter in Salvo. He had not been in Salvo long enough to know what the festival was, only what it's name implied.

Ariel hurried back, passing through the stands that had yet to set up. Turning a corner he almost ran into the hooves of a great black stallion. Ariel side stepped to avoid being crushed under it's enormous hooves. It trotted away elegantly hauling a black carriage accented with violet trimmings. Coming after it came a flurry of horses pulling carts filled with goods and other less elaborate carriages. Ariel waited until there was a break in the line before crossing the street.

It was a quick walk to his apartment. When he reached his door he paused. He feared that what lay beyond this very door wasn't the same as it had been when he left. That the walls had shrank to their normal size and all the warmth it radiated vanished. He pressed his forehead against the door, willing it to be what it was when it left. He feared that what would remain was that small prison where he had spent his darkest days.

Most of all he feared that she had never come to him on the coldest winter night. The key was squeezed tightly in his hand. He would open this door and all that was last night would vanish with leaving him with nothing but his own insanity.

Pushing the anxiety away Ariel inserted the key into it's socket and turned. He opened the door before he allowed his doubts stop him. He sighed in relief when the red walls and gold curtains were still there. Smiling he walked in and put his coat on a hook by the door.

"I remember a song from long ago." He heard her voice in a sweet song echoing from inside his apartment. He followed her voice through the doorway. He spotted Helena's boots as they lay by the mantle. "Some of the pieces," he saw her sitting on the sofa staring at a book wearing again the clothes from last night. Her toes curled on the white pelt. "they remind me of you." she sang before humming lightly, imagining the rest of the tune in her head.

Ariel silently stepped towards her, shutting the door as quietly as the door hinges would allow. He stepped lightly carful not to make any noise. "When I frist laid eyes on you, you sang this song." he whispered in her ear before placing soft kisses on her shoulder. She would sigh and turn towards him and kiss full in the mouth running her hands through his hair. And he would lift her up and press her against him and she would laugh.

He did his best to swallow the lump in his building in his throat. His hands were clammy and he couldn't move. He wanted to do all those things yet his nerves wouldn't allow it. The night before wine had made him bold, now none had remained to calm him. Ariel could do a great many things but he would always be reduced to a nervous wreck before something so impeccable.

He resolved to do everything as he had envisioned it in his head. His own feet betrayed him, as he took a step towards her and bumped into a small unfamiliar table. Ariel silently cursed the new room and all it's foreign furnishings. He could walk about in the dark in his old chambers.

Ariel had made enough noise for Helena to notice. "Ariel." She greeted as she shut the book and came to him. The vase that rested on top of of the table swayed precariously until Ariel reached up to hold it steady; for some inexplicable reason the vase refused to stay on it's base. Whenever he released it would say dangerously to one side or the other.

Helena seized the moment and took Ariel wrapped her arms around his neck. Ariel released the vase and stepped back slightly. He was surprised to find his hands instinctively moving to her lower back pulling her closer. Then she kissed him, no doubt, no hesitation or premeditation. Ariel found his head swirling. Any reservations he held before melted away like the snow on a sunny day.

Every time he was kissed by her, he could feel her affection, all her love. All that adoration in on simple kiss. Her body emanated the warmth Ariel had grown to cherish. The scent of smoke and gunpowder lingered in her hair. Every time her lips touched his he could do the impossible; conquer nations, slay every beast, even reach the deepest bowls of the ocean, so long as she was at his side.

There was a loud crashing noise and Helena pulled away. "Oh." she uttered seeing the broken vase and water spilled on the wooden floors.

"It doesn't matter." He leaned in for another kiss but Helena pulled away leaving him longing.

"Ariel." Helena said making his spine shiver. "I made you something." She turned away from him, her warmth leaving him. Ariel frowned but followed her careful not to step over the broken shards of glass. She took him to one of the inner rooms. A single extravagant dinner table with carvings along the edge was all that adorned the room. It's chairs had more than enough space for a single person, and were padded with red velvet. An empty fruit vase remained as it's center piece.

"I wanted to make you proper breakfast, I honestly did." Helena admitted. Ariel looked around the dining room for said breakfast but only spotted a platter filled with misshapen fruit; more than likely the contents of vase. "Never really enjoyed being the kitchen, but I figured you would enjoy a decent meal if you had yet to sup yet, of course. But I wasn't sure about the quantities and the tastes -"

"Helena. ." Ariel cut in and sat on one of the mahogany chairs before she took off into an unrelenting ramble. A habit of hers he recalled from years before that manifested itself when she was anxious.

"I'm a terrible cook." she surmised with a shrug sitting down in the chair next to his. He was glad that he wasn't the only one who was nervous, though Helena was much better of acting through her nerves. "I made you fruit. . . and cheese. . just cut it up really. I usually have someone else do it for me but. . ." she mumbled miserably. An idea formulated in his head.

"What is this!" he waved a hand over the imaginary banquet. Helena briefly glanced at the table half believing him before she caught herself. "A glorious feast worthy of a king!"

"You're teasing me!"

Ariel laughed. He hadn’t laughed at Mephisto's feast. At his banquet there was a variety foods, people and wonders from across the planet. Ariel had been amazed, dazzled and mystified, yet he did not laugh, not like he did now. Helena pursed her lips before slowly turning into a small smile.

"Now eat your feast." she ordered plucking a small piece of cheese and bringing it close to him. Still smiling, he took it from her and placed it in his mouth without complaint even though he wasn't hungry at all. "Here now try the mango." she ordered this time with a pale orange what best could be described as some kind of ellipse in shape.

"That is cantaloupe." he corrected before a slightly irked Helena shoved in his mouth. The cantaloupe was tough to chew, and bitter in taste. Ariel took her hand his to keep her from shoving other questionable fruit in his mouth. "You don't have to be this for me, Helena." Ariel told her; her hand was small in his.

"Be what? Some kitchen wife?" Helena laughed before noticing how soundly his hand had grasped hers. The same hand that had caressed her ever so lovingly the night before. "No. Never, not for anyone. But you seemed like you don't feed yourself properly."

"Helena. . ." Ariel started, but couldn't not remember the last meal he had before the feast. The only thing that came to mind were the small white tablets that he had made over a week prior.

He brought his other hand to hold Helena's hand. Turning Helena's hand palm up he began to run his thumb over small scars and places were her skin had been turned hard as leather. He frowned. "I should have been there."

Helena stared, her eyes burning holes into him. Her face had hardly changed, only her check bones had become more pronounced and a few sunspots had appeared that weren't there before. Ariel released her hand and tentatively pulled back her hair behind her ear; she smiled. It was all it took, to inspire him to challenge the very sun and dare the waves to stop pushing against the earth, all in her name.

"You never should have had to toil in the heat of day, never had to fret over anything. I should have been there, to lavish you in all the riches of the world, to cherish you every day and every night. I should have been there to hold you close on cold nights and never let you go. You're here now. You're the sun that burns in the sky. No, no thats ridiculous. Not the sun. It could never compare, not the moon either, or the stars, or anything. It just wouldn't be fair. You, I can't even. . ." Ariel breathed out to straighten his thoughts. "I am just a man. . . I could never be what you deserve."

Helena laughed; a short soft laugh. "You have many sweet words Ariel," she turned her chair towards him and placed her hands on his knees. "too many words when three are more than enough." She kissed him deeply. A quick jolt ran from his lips all the way down to his toes. She slowly began pulling backwards; following her Ariel began to raise from his chair but Helena pushed him down ripping her lips from his.

"wh-"

Helena moved from her chair to his lap silencing him making her grin. They were roughly the same height; he was slightly taller, but now she rose above him. Running her fingers through his hair she pushed it back and away from his face. He leaned back in the chair, giving Helena a comfortable seat and allowing her to rock his head slightly backwards with every pass. He could see her hovering above him smiling; a beautiful smile that reassured him and welcomed him home.

"When we were kids," she told him, "I never thought I could fall so foolishly in love with a man." She whispered, her spare hand had come to rest on his chest. He was sure she could feel the pulse of his heart beating at a steady and relaxed pace. "I used to laugh at the girls who claimed they did. I thought to myself, why would anyone ever be so dependent on someone else that their very being was nothing without the other. I loved myself and I promised would never bind myself to anyone." She scoffed, her hand pausing briefly to grip the blond locks. "Look at me now." she leaned in and he closed his eyes in anticipation. She brushed her lips ever so lightly on his. "Who am I without you?" He felt her words on his lips.

Helena pulled back slightly, moving towards his ear placing occasional kisses. "Three words Ariel, they're all I need from you." she whispered in his ear before taking gentle nip at his earlobe sending shivers down his body. Then she whispered those three words in his ear, repeating them between kisses like some deep hidden secret reaching the surface.

Helena kissed just under his ear. It was a fire that was slowly spreading throughout his body that made him go weak. Her hand ran over his shoulder. Ariel sat back relishing in the pleasure that was Helena. Helena shifted positions so she was straddling Ariel but it wasn't enough.

He pulled her closer, his hands running up and down the arch of her lower back. Helena stopped and began undoing his shirt buttons. Ariel kept his hands firmly on Helena's waist. Halfway through the buttons Helena yanked open as much as his shirt as she could, and began running her hands over his chest; she spent a curious amount of time on the scar on his chest.

Ariel rose to kiss her but had to push away the chair aside to stand forcing Helena to do the same. He wrapped his arms around her pulling her as close as possible and she brought him closer by wrapping her arms around his neck.

Ariel felt Helena leading him away, not only from the room but to another plane of existence where they only existed as one. There was not a doubt in his head that they were headed towards the unused bed in the other room but he could feel being taken away from Salvo, and away from reality; her kisses were a unique sort of heaven.

She undressed him somewhere between the doorway and the bed. Pulled away his shirt in between a flurry of kisses. That was more than enough permission for Ariel as he lifted her in his arms and carried her to the bed in a hurry. He pulled back the covers and could feel her smile on his skin before he gently laid her on the bed. Helena lay still, watching him, waiting as he stepped back.

Ariel knew then that she would always be his. The way she was she would never be this way with anyone else. She was his in every aspect of her existence, never anyone else's. Without a doubt that would never change. But to call himself hers, truly hers. He couldn't.

He didn't belong to himself anymore. He had nothing to give her, all of his illusionary possessions could fade at any instant. Time had been made precious to him, he wanted forever with Helena but he knew now thinking that way was dangerous. He had bound a supreme being to him that would serve him willfully so long as he made no mistake.

"Ariel?" Helena called to him and she was there resting on the bed with a questioning look on her face. He kissed her then knowing he could not think of forever. Helena wrapped her arms around his neck meeting his kiss.

In the throws of passion there was no thought; only feeling. They were one being, one thought, one soul impossible to sever. All existence ceased to be and only they were real.

In that instant, in that very moment they belonged to each other. She had resigned herself to him just as he to her. But it was more than that; everything about her drove his senses to the brink. There would never be anyone who could drive him to the edge of insanity he knew that now. There would only ever be Helena.

Helena felt the scar on his chest as she lay next to him. "Never figured you as the type who loved danger. How did this happen?" she asked a long and peaceful silence. She rubbed the scared over bit of flesh.

Ariel vaguely remembered a mugging. After he had relinquished every valuable possession he had on his person - including his coat - the mugger stabbed him anyway. He had been aiming for his heart but missed by inches. After passing out in the snow he woke up in another alley laying next to a warm fire, his wound stitched up.

"An unfortunate victim of circumstance." Ariel said; he never known who had saved him that night.

"Aren't we all." Helena sighed and nuzzled closer to his side. Ariel flinched away with a short laugh. "What?"

"Tickles." Ariel replied in all seriousness.

"Of all things, that is what tickles." Helena remarked before laughing lightly. Her laugh was sweet and one that made Ariel smile. He tucked her hair behind her ear. He could never forget how joyfully content her eyes were that day.

After a moment of silent peace Helena asked; "Ariel," she fumbled the words in her mind willing them to somehow sputter out. Watching her attentively Ariel wondered what words could possibly make Helena hesitant. Then just above an uncertain whisper the words emerged like a hammer; "Do you believe in God?"

The question bewildered Ariel, he had never given it much thought. Most in part for the absurdity of the question itself. The answer was simple; there were particles and there was energy; the universe was made of up of these two constantly interacting with one another forming atoms and molecules and everything else in existence. That was the law of universe, however, there was always a small amount of uncertainty. A small fraction of an unknown matter that could not had yet to be determined.

"There are no ghosts in the sky." Ariel said flatly. "No ghosts in heaven that are concerned with our small insignificant lives. If there ever was a god he's gone now. Only man is left, so we should do everything in our power to make things better instead of relying on some invisible force to do it for us."

"I suppose you're right." Helena seemed disappointed "Though it's still nice to think that maybe. . ." she paused before adding, "Maybe there are no coincidences."

It was unexpected. He could hear fireworks in the distance booming. He leaned in as close as he could; she never once blinked or moved away, she stared back at him as intensely as he did. He burned those eyes into the depths of his memory. The fireworks loomed closer, their resounding booms nearly reaching him. Guilty, he felt guilty but without knowing why. He had done nothing wrong, yet it still ebbed at his conscience. He placed a long solemn kiss on her forehead.

He realized then that the fireworks were very real. The were coming from down the street heading in their direction. "What is that?" No sooner than she asked there was bright lights flooded from outside. The sound came shortly after. Deafening and blinding Ariel brought the covers over his and Helena's heads shielding at least part of the light.

As quickly as they came, the fireworks passed and moved down the street. "Are you alight?" Ariel asked hesitantly when he pulled away the covers.

"I'm fine. What was that?" She asked rising from the bed. Ariel went to the window facing the street that had been blown in; carefully stepping over the glass with the sheets clutched tightly around his waist.

Peeping out the window he saw the succession of fireworks nearly a block away. There were people scrambling behind the igniting lights, some with buckets of water, others screaming orders from horse back, galloping to catch up. "What was it?" Helena had began to dress herself.

"Looks like the fireworks were accidentally detonated." he said as the line of fireworks were finally put out and people on the street began pointing fingers and blaming one another.

"That's right the festival." Helena exclaimed before she pulled her shirt over her head. "I have to find some supplies for the repair on the ship. There'll be merchants from across the globe I'm sure I'll find something we could use."

Somehow the only world Ariel focused on was the word 'we'. He had told himself he wouldn't question anything had brought Helena to him, but now he was more than curious. She had come on a ship, that much was painfully obvious. What he failed to realize was that woman were hardly welcome on ships, they were bad omens. So if Helena had somehow managed to board a ship she must have been one of the few women there; if there were any others.

"Don't just stand there." she found her coat on the counter. "Get dressed."
♠ ♠ ♠
If you've made it this far you have an insane patience for this story and I applaud you. First few commenters get a short (can't stress this enough) sneak peak for next chapter. Lets see how this turns out.

This beast of a chapter is longer than all the previous chapters combined. The way things are going the next chapter will be pretty long as well as some of the things that were cut from this moved on the next. Luckily enough I've been very eager to write it; some parts are already done and ready to go. It'll have a different style.

EDIT: breaking this beast down. For those still around.