We Come Out At Night 4

Chapter 13

---------------------
One Week Later
Gates
----------------------
It was a week since the confrontation with Izzy and me. We never got around to talking to Kristina, which only enforced that fact that Izzy always came first and Kristina never took precedence over her.

Now, Kristina would show up for work and not say a single word to me unless I said something directly to her. Johnny walked her up to the office and Johnny picked her up when her day was done. Frankly, I didn’t like the bond she had with him very much anymore. All the things she should have been sharing with me, she was sharing with him.

Come to think of it, I still owe Johnny a swift kick in the ass. “What are you doing here?” I asked as he walked through the door into my living room.

“Kristina is sick, she’s not coming to work today.”

Somehow, I found that hard to believe. She wasn’t sick the day before so unless this came on last minute, my guess was that she was lying and he was her cover. “Really? What does she have? The Flu, Chicken Pox, Spanish fever?” I laid the sarcasm on a little thick and he handed it right back to me.

“No, she has a job interview.” I wanted to punch the shit eating grin right off his smug face.

“What?”

“Going deaf in your old age Gates? I said she has a job interview.”

I got up off the couch and walked over to the door that led to the elevator and held it open. “Get the fuck out before I snap you like a twig.”

I stood there holding the door open while he walked over to me stopping in front of where I stood. “I told you that you would lose her for good.” I slammed the door as hard as I could behind him. I wanted to punch something.

If Kristina found another job, I would never see her again. She’s already living with Johnny and without her working for me; she’d be completely out of my life. I started for the bedroom when I heard a light knock on my door. Maybe that son of a bitch came back to collect his ass kicking after all.

I was never more wrong. The last person that I expected to see standing on the other side of the door was Chelsea. “Can I come in?”

“Sure.” I nodded and stepped aside so she could walk through the door. “If you’re looking for Johnny, he isn’t here.”

She shook her head and stood there nervous as could be. “I’m not looking for Johnny, I came to talk to you actually, if you don’t mind.”

I hardly knew the girl, what could she possibly have to talk to me about? “Have a seat.” I gestured towards the couch and she sat down. I sat on the couch opposite her. “What do you want to talk about?”

“Kristina.” Not another one. Jesus Christ.

“Ok, what about Kristina?” I tried not to sound defensive, but I was getting a little tired of everyone picking on her.

“Well, I like her and all, but she’s at Johnny’s all the time and he has no time for me now. We can’t ever be alone because Kristina is always there and I really like Johnny.” Chelsea was pleading with me. She was a cute little thing, I could see how Johnny became easily infatuated with her.

“What would you like me to do about it?”

“Say you’re sorry and ask her to move back in with you.” If only it were that simple.

“Sweetheart, I already tried that and she said no.”

“Can’t you try again? I know she doesn’t want to be at Johnny’s she’s always crying, but she’s just as stubborn as you are and wont come and talk to you first.”

I stood from the couch and lit a cigarette. “I don’t know if I can help you, Chelsea.”

“Will you try? Please?”

I let a steady stream of smoke flow from my lips and looked straight ahead at the terrace doors and thought about her request. It should be a no brainer, just like Johnny said, I could be Kristina’s night in shining armor. I nodded my head and looked back at Chelsea. “I can’t make you any promises, but I’ll try.”

Chelsea jumped up off the couch and hugged me. “Thank you!”

“Yeah, sure.” I hugged her back so tight I lifted her off the ground. “Now, go, get out of here.” She giggled and walked out of the living room.

So, Kristina is crying every day. Well if that’s the case, why wont she come to me? After walking into the kitchen I grabbed a beer and went back to sit on the couch. I sat there with my feet resting on the coffee table and my head back on the top of the couch.
“What the fuck do I do?” I said out loud, I was alone, it’s not like I was going to get a response.

“Help me.” I knew that voice and I slowly lifted my head to see Kristina standing in front of me white as a sheet. A bloody hand covered her stomach. I got off the couch and made it over to her as fast as I could.

“Kristina, what happened?” I tried not to panic, but there was so much blood. I lifted her hand, but the blood that covered it wasn’t from her hand it was coming from her stomach. “What happened?” I asked again. By now she looked like she was going to faint.

“Izzy.” Was all she said before she collapsed into my arms. That fucking vindictive bitch would pay dearly now. She just crossed the ultimate line and even Shadows wouldn’t be able to save her.

----------------
Shadows
----------------

“What are you doing?” It came out of nowhere. Izzy just walked into the bedroom and started packing her bags with out any explanation why.

“What does it look like, you shmuck! I’m leaving!” She closed the lid on her suitcase and snapped it shut.

“Izzy, why?”

She picked up her suitcase and stopped right in front of me. “I don’t love you and I never will.” Someone should call the paramedics because my heart just stopped.

“Izzy, you’re lying.” My eyes filled up with water as I chased her through the living room.

“No. I’m not. I was only here for the money and well; you aren’t as rich as I thought you were. Adios Amigo!” That was it; she just walked right out the door.

Izzy just left me, she just packed her bags and left. It was like I was in shock and I didn’t know what to do next, she blindsided me. The thoughts I had were quickly interrupted by the sound of sirens. I’d been around a cop a time or two and I know a squad car siren, that was no squad car siren… that was an ambulance.

-------------------
Previously…
Kristina
-------------------

I was just pulling into my parking space back at The Sidewinder. I didn’t get the job because they said I didn’t have enough experience. Maybe it’s an omen.
When I got out of my car I noticed the tail end of a familiar vehicle sticking out of the back of the casino.

I looked around to see if any of the guys were out and about yet, but surprisingly no. None of them were outside. Of course! Why would anyone be taking a smoke break? Just because they usually do at this time…God Damn It!

Now was my chance to make them see me in a better light. I was going to face my fear.
Slowly and as quietly as I could, I walked over to the wall of the casino and leaned against it as I crept to the edge of the wall where the car was. He was here, I could hear his voice. It was Marco, for sure. I listened to his conversation and part of me wished I had gone for help first.

“There are four sharpshooters inside The Sidewinder right now. One at the black jack table, one at the bar, one standing out front and one in the café.”

“Why? Why can’t you just leave us alone?” Izzy? What the fuck!

“You’re my wife and you’re coming home with me. You have 15 minutes to go upstairs and tell Shadows that you are leaving him. If you aren’t down here in 15 minutes, he dies.”

“NO! You cant do that!” She cried.

“I can and I will. If you don’t do what I said, then I will give the word and he will be shot on sight. If you love him, Izzy, you’ll save his life.” No this isnt happening. He cant do this.

“Izzy no. We can get help, come on!” I grabbed her arm and pulled her over to me, but Marco stepped in front of me.

“Hello Kristina, miss me?”

“Get out of my way!” .

“No.” He shook his head and took his hand out of his pocket. “You! Get out of MY way.” The knife plunged into my stomach where he once shot me before and as he held me against the wall, he looked back at Izzy.

“Now, you see, I’m not kidding.”

She was shaking and on the verge of tears. “Please Marco, let me get Kristina some help. Izzy was begging and honestly, I thought I’d be the last person she would want to help with the way she’d been treating me.

“15 minutes starts now, Izzy.” She walked passed me and went into the casino. My guess would be so that she could follow through with the task that Marco had given her.

“As for you, you’ll never make it back to the casino front doors.” He let go of me and I fell to the floor. I had no choice, but to make it back to the casino. I stood and leaned against the wall. The blood had already soaked through my clothes. The whole time I kept picturing Brian’s face in my mind. How I wish I could see him now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thinking about killing off one of them....Izzy or Kristina...we'll see. Maybe I will, maybe I wont.