We Come Out At Night 4

Chapter 15

---------------------
Marco Montes
---------------------

[Flashback 10 years ago]

“Seriously, you’re going to travel across the country in that?” I pointed at the van or what one would suppose was a van that Shadows and Gates seemed a little more than excited over.

“Why not?” Shadows shrugged.

“Yeah, what’s wrong with it?”

I shook my head and laughed. I guess you could say I had a little more experience in the world than they did. They were young and still wet behind the ears. “Oh nothing if you like the smell of gym socks and ass.”

The two of them laughed. I knew this day would come. No sooner did they take off their caps and gowns would they embark on their freedom and tour the world. I’d heard them speak of it often. They were going to take the world by storm and heaven help anyone who got in their way.

When we moved next door to Shadows he was young, maybe 10 or 11 if that. I was older a good 10 years older and nearly a full-fledged adult. Whenever I would work on my car in the garage, he would walk over and ask if he could help. I didn’t mind the kid hanging around; it kept him off the streets.

When he met my sister Mariella, his eyes nearly popped out of his head. She was around the same age as he was and they became fast friends. The three of them did, actually. Mariella, Shadows and Gates. Wherever one was found, usually the others were not far behind. They called her Mari and after a while it kind of grew on me.

On the day Shadows got his driver’s license, I let him take my vette out for a spin. I also let him take my sister on a date. I knew things would never be the same again. From that day on, they were a couple.

“So where in that shit box is my sister supposed to sleep?”

Shadows looked at me a little confused. “What do you mean?”

I tilted my head to the side and looked at him like he should already know what I mean. “Isn’t she going with you?”

He and Gates both looked at each other before looking at me. “Did she tell you?” Gates asked.

“Tell me what?” Something was wrong. Mari told me everything, we had no secrets.

“We broke up just before graduation.” Shadows tone was sympathetic knowing that I hadn’t heard the news yet.

“Excuse me?”

“Look, I didn’t dump her to go on the tour. The decision was mutual.”

I nodded and wondered why Mari hadn’t told me about this. Shadows and Gates had both been over the house numerous times since graduation, yet I hadn’t a clue that they weren’t together any more. “Yeah, well I gotta go. “

I threw my cigarette down on the ground and walked over to the driver’s side of my car. “Hot date?”Gates yelled out.

“Yeah, call your mom and tell her I’m on my way!” I shot back and got in my car. I could hear the two of them laughing just before I started the engine and took off.

That night when I got home, I found my sister hanging from a rope in her bathroom shower. That night I swore, Shadows would never love again and I would avenge Mari.

[End Flashback]

“Why are you doing this?” Izzy shouted overwhelmed with tears. She sat on the bed in her new room and hadn’t stopped crying since she got here.

“You’re my wife, Bella. You’re mine. This is your home, where you belong whether you like it or not.”

She shook her head in protest before wiping her eyes. “My home is with Shadows.”

I walked over and sat down on the bed. Clearly she wasn’t understanding me. “Your home is with me.”

“He’s going to come for me. I know he will. You killed Kristina! He’s going to know it was you!”

I laughed at her little attempt at a revelation. “No, sweetheart. YOU, killed Kristina.” It had gotten back to me that the idiot redhead wasn’t able to utter a single word other than Izzy’s name before she collapsed to her death. I couldn’t have asked for a better scenario.

“What the fuck are you talking about?” She yelled.

I turned my head to the side and gave her a cocky grin. “Haven’t you heard baby? They’re looking for you, especially Gates. They all think you are the one who did it, not me. They think you ran away so you wouldn’t get caught.”

“No no no!” She screamed. “This can’t be happening.”

I stood from the bed and looked down at her. I had gotten my satisfaction. “Oh, it’s happening Izzy and it’s only just begun.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, but there is another one coming.