Status: Should I stay or should I go now

Friendship Is Funny

The March

Then, an abrupt change in music broke her concentration once again. She was so close to her target yet, she froze in her tracks.

"I know this song." She breathed. Her eyes shined and she turned her back to the man. She located a vacant spot on the dance floor and began swinging her arms to the rhythm.

"As the world becomes darker
the monster grows larger
and swallows the remaining light
faster than before..."


As if mesmerized by the music she twirled lightly as the song started picking up. The sound resembled a melodic marching band. Many types instruments could be heard as the assortment of drums led them.

"But in this blackness
you glow with great brilliance.
Don't let fear smother it,
for you are never alone..."


She lifted her knees and marched to the beat while spinning rhythmically. Her routine was odd and looked like a combination of military troops and the Waltz.

"Just march on
as a new sort of soldier.
This light is your weapon;
it keeps the wicked away
as you march on..."


At this moment, she didn't care about the crowd around her or about the man from the elevator. She was lost in her own world and didn't want to find her way out.

"While the beacons burn out
the people grow colder.
Keep hope...
Look to the sky...
The stars are still there..."


The skirt of her dress lifted briefly with each step, revealing her black knee-high Converse sneakers. She made another turn and someone jumped in. His hands took hold of hers as he mirrored her movements. She snapped out of her trance to look up at him. His mask was black and covered the upper half of his face. Though she hadn't seen him before, she was incurious as to who he was. She continued on with her bizarre performance almost as if he wasn't there and he imitated her as best he could.

"Despite what they say,
we're not all the same.
Their insides were destroyed a long time ago.
That doesn't mean we need to remove ours, too..."


He parted from her and they danced separately. After a moment, he latched himself to her again.

"Just march on
as a new sort of soldier.
This light is your weapon;
it illuminates the way
as you march on...

As a new sort of soldier
you march on..."


The song faded away and they both stopped. He smiled at her but she left him abandoned on the dance floor. She still seemed to be in a daze as she listlessly migrated to a wall of tall windows. He followed quietly behind her and watched while she stared out through the glass at the city below.

After a few a minutes, he broke her peaceful state of mind, "I haven't seen you before." She blinked.
"Is this you first time here?" Without looking at him, she nodded her head.
He rubbed the back of his neck, "Well then..." He held his hand out, "Pleased to make your acquaintance. I'm Bruce Wayne." She faced him and smiled lightly, "Hi, Bruce. Mmm...I'm Hope Neri." She replied hesitantly as she placed her hand in his.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha! We still don't know who that guy is...but at least we've got some names.
I wrote that song just for this scene. I didn't want to use a real one...so you'll just have to imagine what it sounds like the best you can XD I'm not an song writer and I hardly ever write poems so let me know if there are any punctuation/capitalization mistakes.