Status: Updates in between Saturday and Sunday GMT time

School Will Never Be the Same

Chapter 19

Everything was pretty much normalish between me and Gerard for a few days. We talked outside of classes still, he smiled at me in the corridors, we had non school related conversations. But I wanted to thank him for taking me to the open day and dinner and staying with me and all of that. So I stayed behind after class on Wednesday.

“Gerard, can I talk to you for a second?” I called him Gerard when we weren’t discussing school stuff and then he would call me Nat instead of Natalie. He nodded and sat on the front of his desk. I stood in front of him, we were standing pretty close but I put that out of my mind. “I just wanted to know if you wanted to come to my works Christmas party this weekend. Schools out and its on Sunday?” He smiled and nodded. “I'm inviting you to say thanks for taking me to the open day and all of that.”

“Well, I'll definitely come, but there's no need to thank me, it was my pleasure.” He smiled standing up a bit. “Let me give you my number so you can tell me all the details. And I don’t drink so if you want I'll take you and take you home so you can.. Are you eighteen yet?”

“About a month away, but I'm sure my work won’t kick up to much of a fuss.” I smiled at the memory of some of the past Christmas parties, where other almost eighteen year olds got a drunk. These parties are normally pretty relaxed.

“Ok, well I will see you tomorrow and I hope to hear from you soon.” Gerard said holding out a piece of paper with his mobile and home phone numbers scribbled in his hand writing. I know giving your personal numbers to a student is not an ethical thing for a teacher to do but I did not allow myself to look into this too much or think about it. I guess Gerard just saw me as more than a student now. We were almost friends I suppose. We would be friends I guess, if we ever spent time together outside of school doing something like a hobby we’re both interested in. I thought about it for a moment, we did have quiet a bit in common. We weren’t even that far about in age, I'm 18 in about a month and Gerard is, I'm guessing, about 22 or 23. I’ve heard of far worse. I still think any kind of romantic relationship is impossible, but a friendly relationship could be something to consider.

I waited two days before I contacted Gerard. I always get nervous on the phone so I texted him instead. I ended up writing three texts before I settled on what to send. I decided on, ‘Hey it’s Natalie. The party is at the restaurant where I work, starts at about eight, so pick me up at half seven if you want. Hope to hear from you soon. Nat.’ With my friends I may have added an X or two but I thought that may be pushing it a bit. I tried not to think about when he would reply. He has a life so he doesn’t have to reply to his student almost friend sort of person. I kept my phone close by.

Half an hour later I got a reply from Gerard. ‘Hey Nat, it’s Gee, sure will see you then. Can’t wait. Don’t be a stranger, Gee.’

I asked for Kevin’s help to dress for the party. I hadn’t told any of my friends, other than Kevin about inviting Gerard to this party and I felt guilty for keeping something from them. Best friends aren’t supposed to have secrets. Especially all girls with secrets about boys. But Kevin does have good taste and knows my limits when it comes to clothing. I ended up in a knee length red dress with black boots. He told me I looked hot, but with Kevin’s sexuality you can never be sure. He left so he would be there before Gerard and I.

He knocked on my door at half seven.

“Right on time,” I said to myself before answering the door. “Hey, I just got to grab my coat.” I said running back inside. I couldn’t help but notice he did check me out.

“You look beautiful by the way,” he said sitting on the end of my sofa. I grabbed my black coat and made sure I had everything. I looked at Gerard real quick before we left.

“Thanks, you look good too,” he wore a black dress shirt with a loose red tie, black skinny jeans and converse. I was excited about the party. It was a chance for both of us to relax and maybe get to know one another better. And these things have always been fun. The party was at the restaurant, my boss had arranged everything and even though there would be food and drink we were assured none of us would have to work, that they’d hired in staff. Gerard opened my door for me, like he always did. The drive there was quiet, I told him a bit more about the party.

He got out and opened the door and offered me his arm. I smiled and looped my arm through his and he led me inside. I could hear Christmas music from outside and I could smell the food as soon as I opened the door. When I got far enough inside I could smell the alcohol.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heres the next bit. A bit ahead of usual but i'm done with school and all I have to do with my time is read and write now. So thats all I do. Enjoy!