Status: Updates in between Saturday and Sunday GMT time

School Will Never Be the Same

Chapter 27

Christmas came and went, I wasn’t excited for Christmas day anymore. I wanted to see Gerard on Boxing day, although I was a little nervous about meeting his brother. Mikey got his present that night but I told Gerard he would have to wait until further notice for his present. I wondered what he thought of his brother dating a student and whether he would think I was putting Gee’s career in jeopardy. I didn’t want to be the reason for tension between them, they’re clearly very close.

I drove myself to a restaurant just outside of town. I was meeting them outside. I had to wear my glasses though, I had ran out of contacts and was waiting for mum to get me some more. So I would be wearing glasses everywhere for a while. I spotted them when I got out my car, by the door. From where I was, and in the bad lighting, they looked nothing alike. Mikey was tall and skinny, Gee is significantly shorter and a little....rounder. His hair is also a different colour, but that is what hair dye is for and, like me, he wore glasses. Although he’s are a lot cooler than mine.

“Mikey, this is Natalie, Natalie, this is my little brother Mikey.” I shook his hand and smiled. He smiled as well, he seemed nice enough. “Well that was sufficiently awkward for me. Let’s go eat shall we.” I nodded, Gerard took my hand as he led us through the restaurant with Mikey close behind.

“I miss the days when he used to hold my hand. Now he’s like ‘we’re to old Mikey. That would be a little weird.’ But what if I got lost or something. I need big bro to guide me.” He said when we sat down. Mikey is also a lot funnier than Gerard. “You will learn throughout the night I am the smarter, yet dorkier brother.”

“I love your glasses by the way.” I said while I picked up a menu.

“Why thank you, I like yours to, we could be in a club. The awesome glasses club!” I giggled at Mikey. And then the part of the evening I was dreading began. “So Gerard, you never told me, how comes you became so desperate that you had to start dating your students? Surely there must have been some non illegal options out there?” I didn’t even glance away from my menu. I sat frozen pretending to consider what to order. I had already chosen but I didn’t want to see either of their faces. If I just sat still enough they may not even want to include me in this part of the conversation. They could just forget I was here and talk about this without me.

“Mikey, you’re making everyone uncomfortable,” Gerard said from besides me.

“I was just asking. There has to be some reason you decided to start dating a student. I’m sure you didn’t wake up one morning and think, I know I’ll just start going out with the first girl I see and that happened to be a student. Natalie isn’t exactly like any of the other girls you’ve dated in the past.” That caught my attention. Gerard had some similarities to guys I’ve dated in the past. I guess I have a type.

“Shut up, Mikey,” Gerard said in a low voice, he was being serious now.

“No, Mikey, why don’t you explain,” I put my menu down with a fake smile and waited for Mikey to continue. Now he looked nervous. Both of the Way’s had the same nervous look. Mikey looked from Gerard who was shaking his head slowly, giving Mikey the death stare now, to me who was glaring at him.

“Um, I was just messing around with Gee, one of those inside jokes brothers have.” Mikey was also a terrible liar. “So, whose ready to order?”

The waitress came over and took our order. I didn’t look or speak to Gerard once, until we’d finished eating.

“So are you going to tell me the truth or what?” I asked while he walked me to my car. He hung his head and took some deep breaths. He took my hand before he began speaking.

“Well all the other girls I have ever dated have been, my age or older, never significantly younger. Most of them were brunette, most liked giggled too much and wore make up. They were the kind of girls I used to be attracted to. But not anymore. I don’t have a type, Nat, I just like who I like. And right now the only girl I like is you.” He had a way with the words that was for sure.

“Ok,” I sighed, “I guess I over reacted a bit, sorry.”

“No, you were fully within your rights to over react. I would do the same. Are we still on for tomorrow?” He asked taking my free hand in his.

“Of course we are, I want to be able to spend time with you leading up to Christmas, so you have to get this work done!” He smiled and nodded. He kissed me goodbye quickly and then went to drive him and an impatient Mikey home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this one was a little short, but the next one is longer promise. Enjoy!