Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

forty-eight

"I still can't believe you are adopted," Kris said as I cooked supper one Sunday. It had been two months since I found out, but Kris was still shocked. "You just look so much like you mother."

"I know," I rolled my eyes. I was smiling. "Seriously Letang, you have got to stop being so surprised. It's freaking me out. Plus it happened in October."

"I'll try," Kris said. He leaned against the counter. "So, I was thinking, if you don't have plans already, maybe you'd want to come with me to my parents place for Christmas."

"Letang, you know I would love to," I started.

"But," Kris said, a grin spreading on his face.

"I'm going to Max's for Christmas," I said.

"I knew it!" Kris exclaimed. "Why didn't you say something sooner?"

"Why is it any of your business where I go for Christmas?" I asked.

"How could it not be? You're my roommate."

"More like I'm your cook."

"You really feel that way?"

"Of course not. I love cooking and I love living with you."

"Sure you do," Kris chuckled. "I don't know how anyone could love living with me."

"It's better than living with Jordan," I admitted.

"True," Kris agreed, as someone knocked on the door. He left me to go open the door.

"I hope you made enough for two more," I heard Jordan say from behind me.

"Nope, sorry," I said, rolling my eyes. I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist. I turned around, startled. I looked up to see Max staring at me. "Hey."

"Hey," Max said before kissing me. "What's for supper?"

"Liver," I replied.

"Nasty," Max said. "Does Tanger really eat that stuff?"

"Of course not," I laughed. "I'm actually making peach-topped pork chops, scalloped potatoes and a tossed salad. Want to help?"

"I'd love to!" Max exclaimed. "What do you want me to do?"

"Make a tossed salad," I replied.

"Ok," Max said, turning to the ingredients I had sitting on the counter. "I can just cut everything and throw it in the bowl and mix it all up?"

"Sure," I said. "However you want to do it."

"Ok," Max smiled and got to work.

~~~~~

After supper, Kris and Jordan decided that they were going to go out to a club with a few of the other guys from the team, while Max and I decided to head to his house.

"Why won't you tell me your birthday?" Max asked as we pulled into his driveway. "I want to get you something."

"That's exactly why I won't tell you," I replied. I unlocked the door with my key and went inside to look for a movie to watch. "I don't want something for my birthday."

"I can't believe that after five months of dating, you still won't tell me," Max fake cried. "I feel so unloved."

"You are unloved," I told him with a smile.

"Ouch," Max muttered. He walked up to me and stood there looking down at me.

"Can I help you?" I asked, without looking at him. I pretended to be engaged in the movie case I was holding.

"Actually, you could," Max replied.

"How's that?" I asked, still not looking at him.

"Kiss me?" Max asked.

"Sorry, I can't," I said.

"What?" Max took a step back. "Why not?"

"I'm reading this," I said, holding up the case.

"Oh ok," Max shook his head at me. "Let me know when you are done."

"Will do," I smirked as he walked into the kitchen. "I'm done."

"Of course you are," Max said, rolling his eyes as he walked back into the living room. He walked up to me and pulled me into him before he kissed me passionately. I kissed him back with just as much passion.

"Wow," Max said, once we separated.

"What?" I asked.

"I wish that kiss could have gone on forever," Max said with a shrug.

"It probably could," I said, raising my eyebrow.

"Oh?" Max said, giving me a questioning look.

"Well at least for the rest of the night," I smirked.

Max returned my smirk and picked me up, carrying me to the bedroom.