Majesty Castle

Chapter 13

Allegra sat in the study holding the book that was left on her beside table when she woke up this morning. The title was “City of Evil…The collective works of M Shadows.” As she sat there holding the book that she had yet to open, her gazed was focused out the window.

“It’s much nicer from the outside,” Simone spoke snapping Allegra from her thoughts, but she never turned her face from the window.

“He’s gone, isn’t he?” Allegra spoke of her husband and Simone let out a sigh as she walked over and set her hand on Allegra’s shoulder.

“Yes. He left early this morning.”

Allegra gave a slight nod understanding what she had just heard. Her husband was gone. He said he would leave and he did without as much as a word to her. The last time he left her, he hadn’t returned for two years and had it not been for the death of his Grandfather, he would not have returned at all. “Matthew’s always longed for freedom, Allegra. It’s not your fault.”

“If you’ll excuse me, I think I want to be alone for a while.” Allegra stood and managed to keep her composure until she was out of the study and up the staircase. She walked down the long hall as fast as she could and when she got to her chamber, she sat down on the bed and let her tears fall. The book she was holding fell out of her hand and when she picked it up, a folded piece of paper fell out.

Allegra bent down and picked up the paper and sat back down on her bed. It was a note.

“Dearest Rebel,

I didn’t plan to stay as long as I did, but my time there only reminded me of why I left in the first place. Do not believe that I left because of our marriage. Believe that I left because I do not want to be King. I know that I will be forced to return when it comes time for me to take the throne, but again, I will run. It’s not you, I’m sure you would have made for a fine wife, but I would have preferred it to be of your own free will.

I’m sure we will meet again, but until that day comes, if that day comes, be strong. Don’t let them break your spirit or steal your smile and don’t let them see you cry. They’ll only use it against you. Should you need anything, turn to Brian and he will make sure you have it. Put on your lipstick, blush your cheeks and hold your head up high. Most importantly, give em hell.

Sincerely,
Matthew”

Allegra folded the piece of paper and slipped it back inside her book as the tears continued to fall. She knew now that it was her husband that left her the lipstick and the compact. Now, she was sure she wasn’t dreaming last night when he kissed her either. He wasn’t saying goodnight, he was saying goodbye.

As upset as she was, it was anger that was washing over her now. As her husband had said in his note, she had resolved that she would give them all hell.

---------
Later that afternoon…

After composing herself, Allegra put on her lipstick and blush and went down to the kitchen. Nina and Pippa were preparing lunch and both looked up when she entered. “Pippa, do you think you could finish lunch by yourself?”

“Of course,” she smiled.

“Nina would you come with me please?” Nina looked at Allegra with caution before nodding and following her out the back door of the kitchen to the yard.

“Where are we going?”

“Just trust me, “ Allegra told her as she led her over to where James was sitting. “James, will you stand up for me please?” He looked at her like she lost her mind, but did as she requested. All the while everyone was watching to see what she was up to now. “Nina, do you love him?” Nina looked at her nervously knowing that Peter’s eyes were on her waiting for her response. “Don’t worry about that old coot, do you love him?” Allegra asked again and James stood there waiting patiently for a response.

“Yes.” Nina had gripped on to her apron to keep her hands from shaking, but wasn’t able to make eye contact with James.

“Do you love her?” Allegra’s question was directed at James. He glanced towards Nina who was on the verge of tears, “more than words can express.”

“Then it’s settled. Nina, take the rest of the day off and James, I believe Nina has missed you something terrible.” No further encouragement was needed. James smiled and reached for Nina’s hand. When she gave him hers, he led her back to the house.

“You’ve just crossed a very dangerous line,” Peter said.

“I crossed no line; I simply moved it over a little.”

He stood and everyone’s eyes were on the two of them. “You have no idea who you’re dealing with,” he said through gritted teeth.

“Fuck off, you old bastard,” she replied and started back for the house. Brian practically fell backwards off the bench he was sitting on and had to hide his face while Rosalie turned as white as a ghost. Allegra had left them all speechless and she was only just beginning.

That evening…

Allegra had skipped the usual family dinner, but had gone down to the study to have tea and read her new M Shadows book. She hadn’t even been able to turn the first page when several other family members had decided to retreat to the study for brandy and desert.

Peter, Jon and Rosalie entered the study unaware that Allegra was there when they had decided to have their after dinner drinks. “Is that a book in your hand?” Jon asked.

“It is,” she replied.

“You’ve no need for books. You should be doing needle point like the other ladies of the house,” Rosalie was quick to point out.

Peter walked over and snatched the book from her hand. “Give it back,” she shouted, but he smirked and ripped it in half right in front of her. Allegra stood up and glared at him.

“Give it to me!” she shouted. Peter laughed and threw two halves of the book in the fireplace in front of her. “You’re a horrible man,” she cried.

“And you are a little trouble maker,” he replied.

“I am not the trouble maker. The three of you have gone out of your way to make everyone in this household miserable.” She turned her attention to Rosalie now and pointed her finger at her. “You! You drove your own son away and sent your daughter off to boarding school so you wouldn’t have to deal with her.”

“That is enough!” Rosalie shouted.

“No.” Allegra shook her head. “It’s not enough. You won’t let your children think for themselves and they hate you for it.”

“Allegra,” Jon warned.

“What? What have I said that isn’t true?” She turned her attention back to Peter and stood there with her hands on her hips. “You. You deny your son the love of his life because of her status. How can any parent deny their child love? You are the worst of the lot.”

No words came from Peter, but the back of his hand made its way across her cheek. Allegra stood there and brought her hand to her face shocked that he had hit her. “Is that your answer? To slap me?” She looked back and forth between all three of them accusingly. “I’m sick of this. Sick of being told what my place is as a woman. No man has the right to treat me like I am any less than they are,” she shook her head and turned back to Peter. “Least of all, you!”

Peter looked at Jon and Jon nodded back at him. Allegra didn’t know what was going on, but Peter grabbed her by the arm and dragged her out of the study.

Two hours later…

Allegra lay on her stomach on her bed crying in unbearable pain. Peter had taken her down to the basement and had her lashed twenty times across her back with a leather whip.